Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick of the attention

Ok I may be crazy but I am sooo sick of all the attention I have been getting post op. I am 6 months out right now and down 68lb and I swear everyday at work someone is like omg how much are you down, you look great..... I really appreciate it but am sick of it. I guess I don't feel that great, I'm still 173 and 5'1" so I still look big in my eyes. I have never been comfortable being the center of attention any way so this is making it worse. Like I said I may be nuts but its just really starting to annoy me and unfortunately I work in a huge hospital and everyone knows me there so I get it at least 3 times a day. I guess I just want to be normal and not feel like the freak show weight loss girl. Am I the only one feeling this way??

No, I think you hit it on the head. I am uncomfortable with attention unless I solicit it. I think that is one reason I ate and ate, and ate. To be invisible. Just take it as a compliment and you are doing wonderful in your weight loss. Allow it to be encouraging to lose more! They don't matter anyway! You do!

Ok I may be crazy but I am sooo sick of all the attention I have been getting post op. I am 6 months out right now and down 68lb and I swear everyday at work someone is like omg how much are you down, you look great..... I really appreciate it but am sick of it. I guess I don't feel that great, I'm still 173 and 5'1" so I still look big in my eyes. I have never been comfortable being the center of attention any way so this is making it worse. Like I said I may be nuts but its just really starting to annoy me and unfortunately I work in a huge hospital and everyone knows me there so I get it at least 3 times a day. I guess I just want to be normal and not feel like the freak show weight loss girl. Am I the only one feeling this way??

Eventually, it'll stop. It's great that people are recognizing your accomplishment. It's not easy, but will get better. I too do not like attention about my weight only because people at the office have seen me yo-yo and I feel embarrassed when I gain all the weight back again

I completely agree . I work in a nice sized office and I havent even came back from leave yet. I get texts from everyone like how much have you lost? Send me a pic! I am over it already.I never discussed my weight before and really dont wanna discuss it now! Plus I think everyone is gonna be making comparison between myself and a couple others that had the bypass...ughh.just want to blend in and be normal!!

Im still 12 days out from my surgery. However, I have always felt like people were talking about me b/c of my weight- not being skinny, but always being fat! My advice - take it as a huge compliment! Consider where You've been and where you are now! Yay you! BTW - they're probably terribly jealous! :-)

People at work keep commenting on how "skinny" I am now and I'm just like.... seriously? Yeah, a size 24 is reaaal skinny. @_@

I'm the same if I head your so skinny now one more time I'm going to scream! I'm still way over weight for my height I'm a 12/14, it's better then a 20 that I was but scrubs are very forgiving! I still feel huge and have a long way to go and I find my self wanting to lie bc I just had a month long stall and was embarrassed because every time someone would say how much is it now it would be the same as it was. I feel like I'm being rude because I just kinda walk away when people start.

I totally get what you are saying. When I did opti-fast lots of years ago the attention bothered me. Especially when it came with a lot of flirting. A friend of mine tells me your wieght was your WALL of protection. So this time as the pounds come off I smile and say thank you. I only discuss numbers with those I am close to. The rest just get my typical response ...... which is "not enough" that usually stops them in tracks lol.

I feel the same way, which is why I didn't tell anyone I was having surgery. I want to fly under the radar, but it's impossible. I work in a hospital and interact with lots of people all over every day. I appreciate the compliments, but I wish people could just say "you look great", take a polite thanks, and move on. They all want to know the magic secret. I feel like if they knew I had WLS, they would be scrutinizing me even more. I'm looking forward to the day it's history, and they get used to looking a thin me.

Oh - and I REALLY hate it when they say "you are losing weight" as a statement of fact. That's not even a compliment, I consider it a judgement. I've started not responding to that one, lol. Maybe next time I should say something sarcastic, like 'you aren't losing weight". Just kidding, I know most people have good intentions, but it does wear me out some days!

It has gotten annoying at work. Everyday, the same people ask "so, how much today?". The skinny minny comments I hate too. I realize that they see what I don't see in the mirror. However, I delight in my husband's giggles as he discovers something different about my body-hip bones, the hollows of my neck, or the trail down my spine. He is my biggest fan, and only his opinion matters to me.

I feel the same way, which is why I didn't tell anyone I was having surgery. I want to fly under the radar, but it's impossible. I work in a hospital and interact with lots of people all over every day. I appreciate the compliments, but I wish people could just say "you look great", take a polite thanks, and move on. They all want to know the magic secret. I feel like if they knew I had WLS, they would be scrutinizing me even more. I'm looking forward to the day it's history, and they get used to looking a thin me.

Oh - and I REALLY hate it when they say "you are losing weight" as a statement of fact. That's not even a compliment, I consider it a judgement. I've started not responding to that one, lol. Maybe next time I should say something sarcastic, like 'you aren't losing weight". Just kidding, I know most people have good intentions, but it does wear me out some days!

I had to laugh reading your response. I feel you.....when I get the people looking for the magic bullet I tell them.....calories vs calories out. The more you eat the more you workout. I never have those same come back twice lol. And I don't feel I am giving them a wrong answer either.

I completely understand. I know they mean well but it's uncomfortable. Every day when I walk into work this guy yells, "you're shrinking!" For everybody to hear!

People at work keep commenting on how "skinny" I am now and I'm just like.... seriously? Yeah, a size 24 is reaaal skinny. @_@

Compared to the size 32s I was wearing, 24's are twiggy :D

I may be crazy but I am sooo sick of all the attention I have been getting post op.

bubles089

from the replies you are getting, apparently there are people with your feelings about not liking all the attention concerning you weight loss - and thats fine, those are your thoughts

I know all those years past i would get plenty of attention - bad attention - concerning my being overweight :(

now i am down 100 lbs - GOAL

do i feel embarrassed, shy, quiet et al when people come up to me complimenting about my appearance and weight loss????

No way!!!! i feel great!! Can't get enough of those great comments :)

sooooo, anyone that receives unwanted compliments about their appearance.....

send them over to me :lol:

congrats on loosing 68 lbs - thats terrific :)

continued good luck with your weight loss

btw

you look marrrrrvelous :lol:

It has gotten annoying at work. Everyday' date=' the same people ask "so, how much today?". The skinny minny comments I hate too. I realize that they see what I don't see in the mirror. However, I delight in my husband's giggles as he discovers something different about my body-hip bones, the hollows of my neck, or the trail down my spine. He is my biggest fan, and only his opinion matters to me.[/quote']

I had a coworker say..so did you lose any weight over the weekend? Weeelll no only during the week I lose. Lol. I agree my weight was my wall..no one paid attention to me..and I liked it that way. I imagine as I will get accustomed to being treated differently..which sad fact skinny people get more respect. But yes..for me its annoying to respond to those who want Sarahs daily weight loss report