Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

That's ok...even though I don't want to intentionally anger anyone, it doesn't upset me if I did. And that probably sounds bad, too. What I really mean is that I expect that, sometimes, writing something like what I did earlier today WILL get someone angry or upset. How do I know this? :rolleyes: They're the same things that were said to ME in the beginning. And I can remember getting pissed and thinking "Who is SHE (whoever it was) to tell ME what I should or shouldn't be doing?!" That can also be applied to when I was being told that I was making excuses to eat, and when I was told that maybe I wasn't ready to be banded because I was so sure that I didn't eat too much...and the list goes on.

So I really HAVE been where everyone else is right now. I will also say to everyone, YES, follow YOUR doctor's rules. But also, if something your doctor says doesn't make sense, or you've researched and you think that your doctor is wrong, ASK your doctor. They're human, too, and they can make mistakes and honestly, sometimes they're so busy being doctors that they don't do the research that we do. So don't "blindly" follow the rules...but then, don't ignore them just because you don't like them, either. :)

As for this thread getting quiet...well, I really don't mean to shut down the conversation. But we can get so involved in "supporting" each other that we sometimes "enable" each other, too. And part of me doesn't care how angry I get people if it ultimately helps you to lose the weight. :eek:

Hey, we all need a little spanking once in a while!!!:yield:

True friends will tell you the truth no matter if they think you may not like it! I have seen threads shut down because people just can't get over a little constructive critisism. I for one don't like people to blindly agree with everything I do! How would I ever become aware of some things that I just can't see on my own! It takes a real friend to step out and say, hey, cut that out!!!

That is why I love it hear! I did this to suceed not to fail! So, that means I need good advice when I need it not just when I want it. I come here to be accountable. And if I need to correct a behavior better you guys then my doctor telling me I have a slipped band or erosion!!!!

Thanks for helping us baby bandsters along the way!!!

Now, :focus:

I got banded 1/19 and went back to work on 1/22. Of course, that night I hit the bed within 30 minutes of walking in the door. Now four days of work later, I'm fine.

Thats good!!!

I was feeling good after day 3!!!

How are you doing with your post op diet?

I dropped broth for stock, a more robust flavor. The doc okayed it, just reminded me to drink more Water. I am still doing the sucking ice thing, mostly to have the "mouth feel" of something at regular mealtimes. Jello is just so, so. I switched Protein Drinks to Adkins because it has less sugar and actually tastes a little better. Made it through just two sips of Gatorade and gave it to the neighbor's kids - I would rather have water, ice, etc. that something "sticky" tasting. juice is okay, but frozen cranberry pops and frozen apple juice pops are the best. I'm not hungry and having to be reminded to eat is a WHOLE new world! Tomorrow is my one week check and I expect to graduate to potato Soup and nice, thick vegetable soup blended with baby food meat. I can't stand the smell of the stuff straight out of the jar, but I figured it would do its job just fine if it was blended into vegetable soup. One of my daughter-in-laws suggested putting extra dried milk in potato soup to boost the Protein, so I'll see how that goes. Just think, refried Beans blended with beef stock to a nice thick paste, topped with a few shreds of cheese - ah, MEX heaven!!

I dropped broth for stock, a more robust flavor. The doc okayed it, just reminded me to drink more Water. I am still doing the sucking ice thing, mostly to have the "mouth feel" of something at regular mealtimes. Jello is just so, so. I switched Protein drinks to Adkins because it has less sugar and actually tastes a little better. Made it through just two sips of Gatorade and gave it to the neighbor's kids - I would rather have water, ice, etc. that something "sticky" tasting. juice is okay, but frozen cranberry pops and frozen apple juice pops are the best. I'm not hungry and having to be reminded to eat is a WHOLE new world! Tomorrow is my one week check and I expect to graduate to potato Soup and nice, thick vegetable soup blended with baby food meat. I can't stand the smell of the stuff straight out of the jar, but I figured it would do its job just fine if it was blended into vegetable soup. One of my daughter-in-laws suggested putting extra dried milk in potato soup to boost the protein, so I'll see how that goes. Just think, refried Beans blended with beef stock to a nice thick paste, topped with a few shreds of cheese - ah, MEX heaven!!

Man you are lucky! I had to do 3 weeks of liquids. Finally got to do creamy Soups and pureed chili or pureed beans. I get to eat solids on Saturday, day 22. I do not get a mushy stage. People tend to overeat on the mushies. I only had mashed potatos oats with a lot of water once. I liked it too much and so I didn't have it again.

I only have one more day to solids!! I can't believe I made it!! It feels so good to know I did it!!!:clap2:

Cheating just didn't feel worth it to me. My Bandy (my baby bands name ) means too much to me!

Congrats and keep up the good work!

Enterprise, I'm a little bit stunned by your posts. This might sound kind of harsh, but you don't get to CHOOSE what you eat and when. Well, you obviously are, but you shouldn't be. Your doctor's guidelines are there FOR A REASON, and you're throwing them out the window because you don't think Protein drinks taste good?! It's not about what tastes good at this point, it's NOT about what "agrees with you" or what "goes down." For many people, unless they have post-op swelling, they CAN eat anything...including chocolate chip Cookies and alfredo. But they don't because getting banded means starting a new relationship with food. A BETTER relationship with food and one that does NOT include chocolate chip cookies and alfredo.

Cindy -- Perhaps I should have been a little more clear. I seem to have given people the impression that I'm eating delicious creamy Fettuccini alfredo and Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies, which I'm not. The alfredo and cookies are Nutrisystem. They are not real alfredo or real cookies. The alfredo is very much like a soup; the noodles are tiny and thin; and it is low fat, high protein and only 170 calories. The cookies are smaller than bite-size and don't contain actual chocolate chips; a package is 100 calories and low fat; and they practically dissolve into nothing as soon as you put them in your mouth. I was suffering from disabling nausea following the surgery, and the protein drinks triggered vomiting, paritally because of the unpalatable taste. Thank god my doctor only requires liquids for 24-48 hours post-op, which I did comply with despite the vomiting. On day 3, according to my doc's instructions, I was able to eat soft food, which made me feel significantly better. I consider all the Nutrisystem canned/powdered lunches to be soft food -- they are practically mush. Have you seen their chicken salad? It's like a moist paste. I am not eating any of their meals that have large chunks of meat, so I am attempting to stay away from "solid" food. The asparagus was probably the only real lapse in judgment.

My plan is to get completely back on Nutrisystem after the 4 week period. All of their dishes are actually quite small, high-protein portions, which should work great with the band. I gained over 40 pounds while on Nutrisystem last year, not because I failed to eat the food, but because I ate the food, was still hungry, and then ate another meal, plus 2-3 Cokes. My ravenous appetite has always been my downfall (plus that damn Coke addiction), and that's why I got the band -- to help control the appetite. For you the band may be about starting a new relationship with food, but for me it's about having the chance to learn moderation. My problem is with quantity.

And I simply refuse to believe that I could never have real alfredo or real cookies at some point in the future if my appetite is under control. If I take the stance that certain foods are never allowed, then I know I'm setting myself up for failure. That's just how my brain works.

Thanks for the info about the scarring around the stomach. I had not considered that and will talk with my doc about it in more detail before I eat something like asparagus again. I appreciate your input. Us newbies need all the info we can get. And don't worry about being harsh -- I can take it.

Today was my 2nd day. Not bad at all. I just wish the shoulder gas pains would just go away completly, they come and go. The ones that don't get the gas pains are the really lucky ones, because other than that I don't really hurt. Does anyone know if eating Egg-Drop Soup now, would hurt? I didn't know about the eggs in it. I would love to have some of that right now, but as far as I can say I am really not hungry. I can't believe that! Well I hope everyone is going great, and the ones that will be bandded soon, you will do just fine. Stay in-touch.

Cindy -- Perhaps I should have been a little more clear. I seem to have given people the impression that I'm eating delicious creamy Fettuccini alfredo and Mrs. Fields chocolate chip Cookies, which I'm not. The alfredo and cookies are Nutrisystem. They are not real alfredo or real cookies. The alfredo is very much like a soup; the noodles are tiny and thin; and it is low fat, high Protein and only 170 calories. The cookies are smaller than bite-size and don't contain actual chocolate chips; a package is 100 calories and low fat; and they practically dissolve into nothing as soon as you put them in your mouth. I was suffering from disabling nausea following the surgery, and the protein drinks triggered vomiting, paritally because of the unpalatable taste. Thank god my doctor only requires liquids for 24-48 hours post-op, which I did comply with despite the vomiting. On day 3, according to my doc's instructions, I was able to eat soft food, which made me feel significantly better. I consider all the Nutrisystem canned/powdered lunches to be soft food -- they are practically mush. Have you seen their chicken salad? It's like a moist paste. I am not eating any of their meals that have large chunks of meat, so I am attempting to stay away from "solid" food. The asparagus was probably the only real lapse in judgment.

My plan is to get completely back on Nutrisystem after the 4 week period. All of their dishes are actually quite small, high-protein portions, which should work great with the band. I gained over 40 pounds while on Nutrisystem last year, not because I failed to eat the food, but because I ate the food, was still hungry, and then ate another meal, plus 2-3 Cokes. My ravenous appetite has always been my downfall (plus that damn Coke addiction), and that's why I got the band -- to help control the appetite. For you the band may be about starting a new relationship with food, but for me it's about having the chance to learn moderation. My problem is with quantity.

And I simply refuse to believe that I could never have real alfredo or real cookies at some point in the future if my appetite is under control. If I take the stance that certain foods are never allowed, then I know I'm setting myself up for failure. That's just how my brain works.

Thanks for the info about the scarring around the stomach. I had not considered that and will talk with my doc about it in more detail before I eat something like asparagus again. I appreciate your input. Us newbies need all the info we can get. And don't worry about being harsh -- I can take it.

I am like you, I love HUGE portions! Thank God the band has taken care of that. I don't have a fill but I can only eat 1 cup of liquid/puree at a time. It sounds like the Nutra System foods are more like mushies.

You will do good being on NutraSystem. You may be like me. I feel better having some type of structured program, not a restrictive one though. I like guidelines or else I tend to lose control.

I am like you, I love HUGE portions! Thank God the band has taken care of that. I don't have a fill but I can only eat 1 cup of liquid/puree at a time. It sounds like the Nutra System foods are more like mushies.

You will do good being on NutraSystem. You may be like me. I feel better having some type of structured program, not a restrictive one though. I like guidelines or else I tend to lose control.

That's where I'm at, too -- about 1 cup of mushy food and then I'm full. I'm keeping my calories around 800 per day right now. According to my scale, I've already lost 10 pounds, but we'll see what the doctor's scale says when I go in for a fill. I think part of that 10 lbs was from the vomiting after surgery.

Yes, like you, I need structure, not restriction. Nutrisystem will be good for me because the portions are pre-determined. I know Portion Control is the key to weight loss for me. I admire people like Dolly Parton who can do the portion control without the help of a band. Remember when she lost all that weight in the early 90s? She says that she eats all the same foods that she used to eat, she just eats half the amount. And she's kept the weight off for more than a decade. I could never do that on my own.

Today was my 2nd day. Not bad at all. I just wish the shoulder gas pains would just go away completly, they come and go. The ones that don't get the gas pains are the really lucky ones, because other than that I don't really hurt. Does anyone know if eating Egg-Drop Soup now, would hurt? I didn't know about the eggs in it. I would love to have some of that right now, but as far as I can say I am really not hungry. I can't believe that! Well I hope everyone is going great, and the ones that will be bandded soon, you will do just fine. Stay in-touch.

I think I read egg drop soup and hot and sour without the chunks were okay?

Okay girls! My husband was dying to know how much I lost since he says I look a lot thinner. I started pre op at 190, surgery date at 186 and tonight after eating and drinking all day, I weigh 175!!!

I didn't want to weigh because don't we weigh more at night?

I can't wait to see how much I weigh in the morning!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

So, from my pre op I lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks!!!

I am doing the happy dance!

Yeah!!! Congrats on the great 15 pound loss!! And to think, it's only the beginning... =)

(I'm currently a HUGE fan of your husband.... I've been dying to know for days!)

Keep up the great work!

Love, Sheila

hi all

it is great to be back. internet still down so I am sending this via cellphone. I was banded on monday (22) and I feel good. my only problem is the gas stuck in my chest. I know I am not getting enough liquids in but I am getting better. it hurts so bad to laugh and my family are real jokesters. I got on the scale today just being curious and no change. but that's ok. I am planning on going back to work on monday. first post op appointment is wednesday. I really want this gas to leave. it makes it hard to eat bcause it hurts. I wish I could burp or fart it all out. well until next time. I truly appreciate u all. commited to my band.