Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Oh wow, so much to read tonight…I’ve only had a chance to read the last page in this thread and will try to go back to catch up tomorrow.

Bandida, I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow, and keeping you in my prayers. I’m so excited for you and will be looking for your post-op post when you feel up to it. I was given the same instructions about no make-up, no nail polish, no gum, breath mints, yada yada yada…. I definitely wish I had worn drawstring pants or elastic waist pants because my stomach was SO swollen after surgery, I couldn’t zip my pants on the way home. I did have a large shirt to cover so that was okay.

<O:p</O:p

Cindy, I appreciate your frank constructive advice, and take as such. I wonder if you think canned asparagus spears (just the tips) are okay in the soft food stage. I just love them, and have been having canned French style green Beans, beans like pinto and lentils and of course Soups after I pick out the meat chunks. Do you have some new suggestions for the soft foods stage. Thanks for being here with an experienced bandsters viewpoint. If I knew all the answers about banding, I wouldn’t have a need to be here reading other’s messages. I’m so thrilled to have the opportunity to learn from the rest of you, and supporting each other.

lace, I really don’t know that much about Nutrasystem foods. I really was thinking you were eating creamy, yummy alfredo and chocolate chip Cookies. This is still the healing time but I am hoping to start working on new behaviors now. I won’t be perfect, I’m sure. And I agree with you that I don’t want to view my lap band Bandele as another diet attempt. I want to feel full with reduced portions, but also develop new eating behaviors.

RMS I appreciated your suggestion about avoiding the gulps when drinking. I think that is a habit that I need help with now, before my first fill.

Sherilynn, I think your shirt is so neat. I wish I had thought about doing something like that myself. You people have such great creative ideas.

Audree, WooHoo! Congrats on your weight loss. That is wonderful! How nice to be able to have the second tool to help you out – appetite suppressant. My doctor will NOT prescribe me any meds for that because of my high blood pressure and age. My cardiologist does not want me to use any of the over the counter aids for weight loss either, and that was a big reason for me to seriously consider banding. After I spent about a year researching lap band, I knew this was my chance. Right now, I feel less swollen, and using my new habits of eating slow, chewing well and even willpower to continue to follow dr orders of only 4-6 oz soft foods at a time. Thanks for keeping this thread going in a positive and supportive direction.

MawMaw – congrats and welcome to the land of band. Glad your are improving.

Kilopitre, Congrats on your surgery as well. I sometimes still have shoulder gas pains when I have been sitting for a long time. I don’t know when that will completely go away. I hope you improve each day. Keep letting us know how you are doing.

Update on me – still on soft foods. Today I had some thinned oatmeal for Breakfast, Profect Protein Drink (2.9 oz) for morning snack, Cottage cheese and leftover fish (I had to drizzle some lemon juice on it to keep it moist). My afternoon snack was applesauce, and for dinner I had some delicious split pea Soup. I never knew how much pleasure I would get from cottage cheese and split pea soup. I schedule my follow-up visit and first fill for February 12. I get some bad shoulder gas pains when I sit (like at computer) for over a couple hours. When will this go away? I don’t have them any other time except after sitting for too long. Yikes, it is still painful.

Take care, band buddies. For those having their big surgery day, come post as soon as you feel like it. Let’s keep up the progress…

Terry

Enterprise, your description of the Nutrisystem foods sounds...well, yukky. LOL But now I understand better. It sounds like you really have been following your doctor's guidelines! Good job! As for real alfredo and Cookies? Of course you'll have them again! My son just fixed cookies tonight and I had one. Honestly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my butt in gear these days.

My original goal was 175...I hit 176 and I've been STUCK here for weeks. It's my fault and I also think that I need a fill. I've been snacking too much and when I really eat what I should, I'm hungry. I really want to get down to 155. You'd think that, after losing 80lbs, the last 20 wouldn't feel so HUGE...but they do. Most days, I still feel very fat. I can remind myself that I went from a 24/26 pants to a 12/14, but you know what? Those 14s FEEL like the 26s. Does that make sense?

So in a very real way, I envy a lot of you just starting this journey. I want the excitement back, I want the quick weight losses...I want to be able to eat a chocolate chip cookie and still lose weight. :D Unfortunately, things that I could allow myself at 250 lbs and still lose weight just don't work at 176 lbs if I want to lose. :

Cindy

Cindy, I appreciate your frank construction advice, and take as such. I wonder if you think canned asparagus spears (just the tips) are okay in the soft food stage. I just love them, and have been having canned French style green Beans, beans like pinto and lentils and of course Soups after I pick out the meat chunks. Do you have some new suggestions for the soft foods stage.

Terry, I'm NOT a creative bandster. I had a tendency (and still do) to stick to the same foods. I used to eat cottage cheese, yogurt, refried beans, Soup, black-eyed peas, spinach, eggs, grits, oatmeal...can't think of what else now. I think almost anything canned is pretty soft.

Cindy

So, from my pre op I lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks!!! I am doing the happy dance!

Nice job, girl! That is so exciting!!!:high5:

my only problem is the gas stuck in my chest. I know I am not getting enough liquids in but I am getting better. it hurts so bad to laugh and my family are real jokesters.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've only been manageing about 40oz of liquids each day. I can't imagine drinking them any faster! The laughing part sucks too, doesn't it? I had to keep telling my mom to cut it out! Ah well, better to be laughing in pain than not laughing at all, I guess!

ds5001ds (Dee) Newly banded 1-22-2007 :clap2: :clap2:

Please add me to the January's bansters list.

I'm horrified of these chest pains from gas everyone is explaining. Perhaps b/c I've had issues with chest pain from my MVP in the past. Ughhhh, I'll gulp the gas-x. Anyone use the strips yet?

Enterprise, your description of the Nutrisystem foods sounds...well, yukky. LOL But now I understand better. It sounds like you really have been following your doctor's guidelines! Good job! As for real alfredo and Cookies? Of course you'll have them again! My son just fixed cookies tonight and I had one. Honestly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my butt in gear these days.

My original goal was 175...I hit 176 and I've been STUCK here for weeks. It's my fault and I also think that I need a fill. I've been snacking too much and when I really eat what I should, I'm hungry. I really want to get down to 155. You'd think that, after losing 80lbs, the last 20 wouldn't feel so HUGE...but they do. Most days, I still feel very fat. I can remind myself that I went from a 24/26 pants to a 12/14, but you know what? Those 14s FEEL like the 26s. Does that make sense?

So in a very real way, I envy a lot of you just starting this journey. I want the excitement back, I want the quick weight losses...I want to be able to eat a chocolate chip cookie and still lose weight. :D Unfortunately, things that I could allow myself at 250 lbs and still lose weight just don't work at 176 lbs if I want to lose. :

Cindy

Oops! I hope I haven't done a disservice to Nutrisystem. Most of their food doesn't taste bad at all, but the texture does leave something to be desired. In all fairness, Nutrisystem has a couple of excellent meals that I'm looking forward to eating again in 4 weeks. They make the best granola Cereal you'll ever taste.

Cindy, it sounds like you've been doing great. And, yes, I understand how a 14 can still feel like a 26. I've been fat for so long, it's in my head as much as it's on my body. Getting your self-image to see the reality of your weight loss can be difficult. In the past, when I've dieted and gotten down to a size 12, I couldn't see that much difference in the mirror. I'm going to have to work on that.

How many fills have you had? When was the last one?

How many fills have you had? When was the last one?

I've had 4 fills. The first was about 3 months post-op. That one didn't do anything, so I went back about 3 weeks later. Then another about 10 wks later and my last one 10 wks after that. That was end of October, so if my "pattern" is any indicator, it's time for another one because it's been almost 3 months since my last fill.

Cindy

ds5001ds (Dee) Newly banded 1-22-2007 :clap2: :clap2:

Please add me to the January's bansters list.

Congratulations and welcome to January bandsters!

I'm horrified of these chest pains from gas everyone is explaining. Perhaps b/c I've had issues with chest pain from my MVP in the past. Ughhhh, I'll gulp the gas-x. Anyone use the strips yet?

Sherilynn, I used the chewables and the strips. I actually preferred the strips. They did help, but a heating pad helps even more.

And I'm so freaking out! Not sure if it's nervousness, excitment, anxiety - I just don't know. I AM addicted to being on the board every minute. lol

This weekend I'm going to:

Get laundry together

Buy my New Whey Liquid Protein for first few days

Mani/pedi

SHAVE

Get out my slip on clothes and put them in a pile - easy access for the next couple of weeks

Figure out what movies I want

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay - I'm finally BACK.

For all the new Members, I have sent and email to Angy (jen) to update her first post with all the new members. And let me tell you, I spent the last hour and a half going thru over 35 pages and I think I got everone, but if I missed anyone let me know. Hopefully Angy will update the list soon. I noticed she hasn't been online since the 17th, hope she is doing okay.

I kinda stayed off the board, was feeling really down and didn't want to bring anyone down with me. I was in a lot of pain and still have a small bit of it today, but not near as bad as before. My vision kept coming and going, my blood sugar was dropping low, then I would drink apple juice to bring it back up. Its been a vicious circle for me. I'm still off work, and there is still no way I could sit at my desk all day. I seem to feel great in the mornings, but as the evening comes around I am experiencing pain.

Okay enough of the down side, let me tell you some exciting news. Yesterday I went to see my surgeon, as I was sitting there in his office, he walked in with his hands held out to shake my hand, and he had the biggest smile on his face. he told me I hold the record for losing the most weight for so fast for the first visit of any of his lap band patients ever. Ofcourse he is taking the beginning weight when I first went to see him - but he does that with all his paiteints, and most gain before surgery, however, I tried to lose. Then he asked if I would like to be in his calendar for 2008? Me a calendar girl? Wow. He told me if I keep up my progress he wants me to come back in June and talk to him, he will start the calendars for 2008 in August and he wants me to be in it if I continue to lose. So, I've got a little motivation. He also wants me to be in a fashion show in October they put on. I feel like a superstar and all I've done is follow their direction.

I'm down to 215 lbs now. I need to change my stats. According to the doctor, I've lost 33 lbs. In my books, since surgery I've lost 13 lbs, I think that is pretty good for 8 days. However, I'm trying not to focus so much on the weight loss right now but healing and getting better. The doctor is the one making a big deal out of my weight loss. lol.

Anyhow, now that my vision is FINALLY BACK - I will check in more.

Hope everyone is doing okay.