Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

It's awesome to read about everyone's success, big or small, even one pound off is still a success. I had my port revision about a month ago and still have pain in the port area. It is really superficial pain, but it is like I didn't even have the procedure to fix it...blah.

My scale IS NOT MOVING. I know it is because I am not eating the right things, but I got too comfortable and have now forgotten what the RIGHT things are. Any suggestions? I saw an earlier post about starting off with the thick Protein Shake in the morning, but I'm lost from then on. I work out a lot, but mostly strength training with a personal trainer. I have to add cardio, but I am sure many of you share my sentiments...cardio sucks.

Any suggestions about food choices would be greatly appreciated

Angyl, when I was able to eat solids after banding, I did a small can of tuna packed in Water and a half cup of Soup. That was my mid-day meal. Dinners have always been a challenge, but I find that if I pay attention and plan ahead, AND use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, it goes better for me. If I go home and am in a hurry and haven't thought ahead, I get into trouble.

I don't know why for me this time, I'm able to get motivated again....I've never really, since banding, been without a measure of determination. I think that I feel an obligation that I've spent so much money on me, I'd better do my part as well. I also do a lot of self-talk...I remind myself how good I feel after a work out. I remind myself, when I haven't been good, how a pound down feels and I need to get with it.

You know, I don't think you have to do a cardio blast to do cardio...go for a walk, walk stairs twice a day for 10 minutes, break it up....park farther away from the door. Try little things. I'm no where perfect on the exercise thing at all. I really struggle with it. I know, that when I get down further in weight tho, I will probably have to really get that part of this journey down. I can't think it will work otherwise for me.

I have to say, tho, from your pictures, you're looking pretty terrific. I hesitate to say that because for me, a few compliments means I don't have to work as hard...but I think it needs to be said.

Oh, one more thing...food choices. What I'm going to try to do, is the night(s) that my DH is on the road and I'm doing my own thing for dinner, I'm going to try to make it a very low calorie meal or just have a Protein Shake. He is only gone one night a week usually but this week its two. I was thinking that would shake up my calorie intake a during the week and maybe fool that darn ol' scale.< /p>

Thanks Sula. I just overdo it with my exercise, which is pretty much why I hate it lol. I can't just walk on the treadmill, I have to run...and not at 4.5 where I am comfortable, but at 5.8 where I can't breathe. lol so dumb, right? I push myself way too hard with some things, and hurt myself but I feel like it is what I have to do to keep going...the weight doesn't come off on its own. That was true before with the band but considering I am not far from goal (I am 178 right now, goal is 145, but I have a good 15-20 lbs of skin to be removed with plastic surgery), the weight is coming off....soooo....slow, if it even does. I can't be dependent on the band anymore, and haven't even had a fill since April, I think, maybe May...and it was only my 2nd. I am scared to go for another fill bc I still have a good amount of restriction, and sometimes even think the band may be too tight, or I just don't ever chew properly and eat too fat (lol I am a total mess!!!) Also, I had that complication where my port came unstitched, and couple that with my overbearing discomfort related to needles, I have steered clear from the whole experience.

I am going to try to just restructure my eating and exercise plan to see how that goes. I cut out Starbucks as of today (which is tough because that is my "crack"), but I found how much fat and useless calories their drinks have. That alone should help significantly. I am substituting with Protein Shakes, because for some reason, I really enjoy those chalky frosty things lol.

Anyways...thank you for the pep talk, and have a good day.

Angyl - here's some food ideas for you. Since I've been eating like this, I've been losing about 1lb a week, and that is without regular exercise (which I plan on starting this week!). Lately, I've just been taking long walks a few times a week.

Anyway, the food.

Breakfast: On work days, I have a granola bar or yogurt. On off days I have a Protein Shake or yogurt

Lunch: Usually a small salad or Soup (depending on Aunt Flo). If I'm off work, sometimes I'll make fish or a burger on the foreman grill and nuke some frozen veggies

Dinner: I've been making a lot of ground meat stuff lately like meatloaf and meatballs and really thick chili with lots of Beans and chunks of Tomato. Steamed veggies or salad. This past weekend I grilled some eggplant and made some small meatballs and smothered it all in a can of diced tomatoes. Yum! Turkey meatloaf is a big favorite too.

I haven't touched bread, rice, or Pasta since my last few fills. I just can't tolerate them anymore, and I don't fancy puking. I think this has made a huge difference for me. Don't get me wrong, if I thought I could do it w/out barfing, I'd definitely have a bit of pasta once in a while. The only bread I've had is the stuff floating in French Onion soup!

Hope that gives you some ideas. Sometimes I feel like this would be a lot easier if I liked tuna. Ya know, just pop open a can and there you go! Yuck. :)

Maria

Hey gang -

What do you guys think about moving to the January 07 board? That way we'd have a whole board to ourselves (there hasn't been much activity there at all), and it would be easier to follow certain discussions instead of searching for them through the ten million posts on this thread.

Any thoughts?

Maria

Maria,

I think moving would be great - I tried to start a thread awhile back, but no takers. lol.

I'm all for it too.

I can't eat rice or Pasta either but it certainly doesn't stop me from trying! I am a slow study! lol. I added a latte into my program and I have been losing since. I think its the Protein in the milk that I was so sorely missing.

Still haven't been back to the gym. I really really need to because I can tell that my mood swings are horrible without the outlet.

I just realized that I am 15lbs from being out of the obese column and into the overweight column! wow. 6 lbs from Onederland too. I love my band.

Here's the link to the January 07 board:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f88/?daysprune=30

You can also get to it from the main page -- it's under Monthly Lap Band Support Groups.

I promise to come back tomorrow and start posting there! I think we could make excellent use of it since we have so many regulars checking in. It might be easier for those that don't check in as often too -- that way they wouldn't feel like they had to read thousands of posts just to catch up!

Jeez Angyl...are you nutz? :) I wonder if you are even eating enough calories. Also, have you tried counting calories. If you're running that hard, I can't imagine that you're not losing some, but then again, you might be putting on muscle pounds so holding steady. The only time in my past life that I've lost weight is through running which I HATE! And I'm not gonna do it.

I'm going to have to break the habit of coming here if we move to the monthly support group site. HOpefully I'm up to it.

Hi guys! I haven't been active on the board all this summer but I need a bit of advice. So, anyway, this has been the best summer for me in years. I have started a new sport, whitewater kayaking. I love it! I run the rapids in Harper's Ferry, WV and I am making slow progress in the sport. OK, now for my stats. I was banded on 1/8/07 at 193 lbs. I had my first and only fill 6 weeks later (1.7 cc). I currently weigh 132 lbs which is 3 lbs less than goal. I am 5'3" and 58 years old. I have more energy and my sleep apnea is gone! Now for the little problem: I got a little careless with myeating and had a few bad PB's. Now I have heartburn bad. I just started on Prilosec and I'm making some behavioral changes, like less coffee and dark chocolate, eating soft foods and nothing after 6 PM. I'm hoping this will work since I worry about having had a slip or something. Any other suggestions? I don't really have a doctor for my band but there is someone who could do an unfill if needed. Also, what is the way they generally determine if a band has slipped? I've forgotten, is it an upper GI or endoscopy? Or something else? Thanks for any suggestions!

Susan

Hi Sula,

I walk a mile a day in the morning and do Pilates twice a week. I paddle twice a week. The exercise has made a huge difference. But the chicken-wing arms and inner thigh globbiness I fear are permanent. Oh well, I feel like a million dollars, even if I don't look it!

Hi Susan,

I'm hit and miss on my exercise. I gotta get with it...I did better last week, but this week may not be so good...lots going on.

I think your solutions to reflux sound pretty solid. I can't think of a thing I'd add.

TTYL

Shawn