Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post-op--very little restriction

COSCO. Love that place!!

I have been worried about the same thing! I can finish a 1/2 liter bottle of Water in 30 min to an hr (3 weeks out) with no issues. I asked about it at my follow up, and she keeps telling me that thin liquids go right through the sleeve. I was cleared for soft foods and tried some baked salmon. It took about 1-1.5 oz in tiny well chewed bites to fill me up in 30 min. I stopped immediately! Basically, I am just co-signing with everyone who says we will feel restriction when we start solids. Good luck!

Yep. Me too. I know it's all in my head but after the pre op clear liquid diet and then surgery on the 19th I'm ready for something that I can't see through!

I just saw my surgeon today, and he said I could try thinned mashed potatoes and refried Beans since I'm doing so well, and can tolerate all the shakes and puddings with no problem. I had my surgery on the 18th. Looking forward to dinner tonight!!!!!

I am 2 weeks post op and started "thin purees" this morning. I measured out 1/3 cup of pureed oatmeal and peaches and it went down very easily. I had to purposefully slow myself down' date=' taking tiny bites and chewing them even though it was already pureed. It took me about 15 minutes to eat it. I probably could have eaten more but I'm sticking to plan (I'm very rules-oriented, which is probably a good thing) and also didn't want to push it.

The oatmeal seemed to fill me up about the same as a Protein shake, though it was VERY nice to have some variety. My stomach seemed happy with it--no gurgling or anything (which I did get with Protein shakes early out--that has stopped now though). I used a little soy milk to make the oatmeal; next time I am going to add some Protein powder.

For a couple of days after surgery, it was difficult for me to get fluids and broth down, which I'm sure is normal. For the first week I did the burp-sip thing but never really felt restriction in my sleeve and was still getting in 60+ grams of Protein (protein shakes) and 64 oz-plus of water/fluids.

The burping stopped a few days ago and I can take regular drinks of Water, like I could pre-op. I don't chug or take massive drinks just because I want to be gentle with my sleeve. But I can drink a 17-ounce bottle of Water in 20 minutes or so if I focus on it while I'm working.

Let me say before I ask my question that I feel terrible for people who have complained that it's a struggle to drink water or other fluids or get down purees. I knew that feeling for a few days and it was awful--my heart goes out to you. Hopefully that will subside as time goes on.

With that said, I have sort of an opposite worry, which is that I hope I end up having enough restriction for this to really work!! Did others who didn't feel a lot of restriction early on or who don't really have it with fluids start getting it once you were eating solid foods? (or maybe even thicker purees, which I move to this weekend). I know I am being a worry wart, but it's difficult not to think ahead with everything that we all go through to adopt this new lifestyle.

Thank you for any advice or feedback that you have! :-)[/quote']

I'm the same as you. No feelings of restriction with fluids. Yesterday I started on soft foods and boy can I feel the restriction!!

As I read this, I am finishing 2 oz of tuna. It is on the approved soft foods list. Although I can drink well (have had 75 oz by 5pm), I know when to stop on the soft foods. I don't feel full as much as I feel "pressure" to know when to stop. I am 3.5 weeks out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches