Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FEBRUARY SLEEVERS 2013....how you doing after you've been Sleeved

I am not a medical professional, but I do consider myself a reasonable person with common sense. That being said...

I have never heard of "blowing up" ones sleeve with the CPAP. I wore mine in the hospital and then at home. I know people can swallow air, but we inhale air (and exhale) ALL THE TIME and the CPAP is to keep those airways open! Can't imagine that much air would even travel as far as your stomach because your airways are directing to your lungs.

See, I think the same way! I've thought about it and thought about it and I just cant wrap my head around his logic. I fail to see how my wearing my cpap now is going to be that much different than a few weeks from now - realizing of course that there is swelling and major healing over taking place, but c'mon, nobody seemed at all concerned that I might vomit during the contrast swallow. I was already nauseas thinking about it, and I expressed concern that vomiting would create a real hazard in a newly sleeved patient. They just brushed that aside. I'd think that the stomach contracting and dry wrenching would be more hazardous to a sleeve than a fractional amount of air inflating it.

I think I'm going to trial it for a few hours tonight. When I can't tolerate sitting up any more I'll put on my mask and see how I go, report back. I do not expect to report anything exciting or unusual.

I was on a CPAP for almost five years. I spent the last few months before I got my machine sleeping sitting up in the bathtub. I had all the symptoms you talk about. I had headaches everyday, was foggy headed and eventually, I started falling asleep anytime I sat down. Including at work. I am 18 days out and as of day 8, I no longer need the machine.

They did have me bring my machine to the hospital and they had me use it there and when I went home. No one ever mentioned any danger and I had no Ill effects from the 8 days I used it. Good luck with this. I feel for you because I know how bad it can be.

Yes only a fellow suffer could possibly understand how bad you can feel after years of use. I've had a cpap machine since 2004, and while it's a painin the ass it does keep me alive and I am grateful to have the tool to use. Like I said, I do hope that I will eventually be able to stop using it, but geez Louise now, I'm healing and recuperating is not the time! The body builds and repairs itself while you sleep, right? So.....how can my body heal and repair what I've had done to it if I cannot sleep?and what about my poor heart and the strain that being unable to breath puts on it. I'm increasing my risk of stroke, heart attack, blood pressure issues, further aggravating my already scrambled endocrine system..........I think, like I said above, that will do a little experiment, see what happens. My guess is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Starting to wonder if my surgeon doesn't just like to terrorize me or something!

Hi everyone, I was sleeved Tuesday 2/12. My surgeon advanced my diet to a phase 2 which includes blended Soups, pudding, boiled and peeled potatoes, scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese. I have tried mashed potatoes and cottage cheese, but after a couple of bites I have a cramping sensation in my stomach that hurts. Does anyone else get this? A friend said that I might be eating to much or to fast...I haven't had food since, sticking with the Protein Shakes because I'm kind of scared to eat. Any input would help.

Otherwise I feel pretty darn good, I'm down 20lbs since the start of the liquid diet to now! ^_^

What is everyone's post op diet right after the hospital? I had my surgery on Monday' date=' and had to be on Clear Liquids (broth, Jello, water) until Friday morning. I start on full liquids (protein drinks, puddings, yogurt) today (Friday). I'm so ready to have a little substance. Glad to be done with clear liquids. My pre op diet was one week long. I have lost 12 lbs with the pre op diet and being 4 days post op. I didn't weigh myself right after the hospital, so I'm not sure how much I gained from iv fluids. I'm still sore, but feeling pretty good.[/quote']

Mine date is 2/28. It is one week liquid-protein. Two weeks creamy then two weeks mushy. My first visit I was 231.

2/14 beg preop diet 228

2/20 pre-op appt 218

Still have cough from 3 week cold...if not better Monday my surgery will be postponed so I don't get pneumonia. Bummed!

the hospital called me this morning to do my pre-registration :) starting to get nervous! Surgery 2/28 at 9:30am. I too am worried about how I'll have to change things as simple and basic as drinking...much less...eating...but I'm ready for this change- and I'm ready to be happy and healthy in my new body- I also will be relying heavily on you all of you to pull me through when I want to cry over ice cream lol

I agree completely and same day :)

Just calculated my out of pocket expenses so far (original MD' date=' RD, stress echo, endo/colo, sleep study & CPAP, psych eval, pre surgery fees to surgeon & hosp). I'm 8 days post-op and have shelled out 4489 so far. Thank God for my insurance! I can't imagine what it would be to have this done locally (NC, urban) without it! I am claiming it all on my taxes plus the mileage!

Oh well, my weight has been an issue for 50 years, so I have probably spent that much or more on Weight Watchers (multiple times), Medifast, Phen-fen, Curves, Gold's gym, etc. (you get the idea)! I still have a gym membership, but now I have added the LAST tool that I'm going to use to conquer this problem, finally at age 60![/quote']

My insurance didn't cover. Just over 17k paying out. Thankful I have a wonderful man who worked many hours and is no longer getting a Harley :) but instead asked I'd I wanted this or a new car...hmmm...if I have this I will look good and can get a ride LOL

Hi everyone' date=' I was sleeved Tuesday 2/12. My surgeon advanced my diet to a phase 2 which includes blended Soups, pudding, boiled and peeled potatoes, scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese. I have tried mashed potatoes and cottage cheese, but after a couple of bites I have a cramping sensation in my stomach that hurts. Does anyone else get this? A friend said that I might be eating to much or to fast...I haven't had food since, sticking with the Protein Shakes because I'm kind of scared to eat. Any input would help.

Otherwise I feel pretty darn good, I'm down 20lbs since the start of the liquid diet to now! ^_^ [/quote']

My Dr progressed me to phase two yesterday. He told me as tolerated, my body will tell me if its too much. I can do yogurts and pudding but still not ok with mashed potatoes or cream of wheat.

Hi everyone' date=' I was sleeved Tuesday 2/12. My surgeon advanced my diet to a phase 2 which includes blended Soups, pudding, boiled and peeled potatoes, scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese. I have tried mashed potatoes and cottage cheese, but after a couple of bites I have a cramping sensation in my stomach that hurts. Does anyone else get this? A friend said that I might be eating to much or to fast...I haven't had food since, sticking with the Protein Shakes because I'm kind of scared to eat. Any input would help.

Otherwise I feel pretty darn good, I'm down 20lbs since the start of the liquid diet to now! ^_^ [/quote']

My dr advanced too. I can handle the cottage cheese but only in really small doses....I don't get the cramps but I do get the rumbling and bubbles afterwards. How much are u trying to eat? If you don't mind my asking

I am 3 days post op and feeling much better, stronger and alert. I am going to start broth and Protein Shots today as I've been having strict liquids only so far. I just had no hunger which is kinda nice but I know I have to give my body nourishment. I am on clear diet for 1 week then then thicker liquid 1 week and mushy for 2. Not sure when I will start my Vitamins but I've started walking.

The hospital sent me home with this cute Teddy to clutch when I cough :)

[ATTACH]9707[/ATTACH]

post-50852-13813663367743_thumb.png

I had surgery on Tuesday the 19th, that night went ok but the next morning I started throwing up and did so about 5 times that day. then on Thursday I threw up every-time I drank anything even the smallest sip it didn't matter if it were Water crystal light, juice whatever. I threw up about 30 times. went to my surgeon and he told me it was anxiety and gave me a Rx for nasuea & anxiety meds. got the anxiety med but the nausea ones were $346 so those were a definite nooooooooooooooo. I had my surgery in Las Vegas and had to stay in town for 2 days after because I don't have any bariatric Dr's in my town. now that im home I am feeling better have not thrown up only issue now is im not sleeping much. I don't regret surgery im just a lil confused because I thought things would go a little smoother. I tried to prepare but I guess you really cant, because you never know what your body is going to do or how it will react.

I wish everyone out there the best of luck with there surgeries and there recovery's.

Katrina :}

Hi! Glad to hear all the positive comments and support. I had my sleeve 2/18 so I am 5 days post-op. I am also having hard time drinking all my liquids/protein. I have a little pain every once in a while when I take a sip that is too big (I think). Also, first thing in the morning, not sure what thats about. But so glad to be on my way to a healthier life.

I was sleeved on the 20th and will jus be leaving the hospital this afternoon...I still have sum cramping an stomach pains but I'm praying to god it gets better each day....right now it's everytime I take a sip my stomach reacts but today it jus day 3 so like I said Im prayi g each day gets a little better. Hope all of u are doing wonderful!!!

How is everyone's weight loss going? I lost 18 lbs of Fluid the first few days (from IV in the hospital)' date=' then 10 more pounds by 10 days out. Now, I'm 16 days out and the scale hasn't moved in 6 days. I'm still happy with my net weight loss but wonder what else I could be doing.

I'm eating about 400-600 calories a day, getting in all of my Fluid (at least 64-72 oz of Water plus Soup, tea and other fluid), walking about 20-30 minutes/day (still a little weak but feeling so much better on thin purees than full liquid), and making sure I get at least 60 g of Protein.

I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but when I see people losing 30 or more pounds in the same time frame, it makes me wonder what this journey will be like for me. I'm hypothyroid secondary to pituitary issues, but I started at a higher BMI so thought for at least the first couple of months, I would see pretty good weight loss.

Planning to up my exercise starting this weekend. I was told I can't do Water aerobics for 6 weeks but will start pool walking in addition to regular walking. Then adding the exercise bike and light strength training at 6 weeks.[/quote']

I ended up gaining last week. It was a tiny amount if .39 but it was still a gain. It seems to be very normal around 2-3 weeks. I am focusing on fluids and Protein. It will work itself out, there is no way it wouldn't.

The first incision was around 8:15 (my surgeon told my hubby) and I woke up in recovery around 11:30 ish. So' date=' about 3 hours for me. But it was robotic laproscoptic so, I don't know if that takes longer[/quote']

My surgery was 45 minutes, but they did a single incision, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I was in recovery working off the anesthesia for two or three hours (can't remember) before they brought me to my room and let my family see me.