Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in Louisiana and had mine with Dr Thomas Borland in New Iberia. 9' date='800 self pay. Here is his website

http://www.thomasborlandmd.com/[/quote']

I'm going through this same Dr in 15 days. I know about 15 people that have used him and love him. Nothing but good things to say.

I am not sure how to respond to everyone's individual post...so here goes!

My biggest concerns about getting treatment in Mexico are:

[*]Being kidnapped by drug lords or the mexican cartel (I know it sounds CRAZY but it's a real fear of mine)

[*]Follow up after the procedure where would I get support and treatment should something go wrong?

[*]Steriotype of what I have seen in Mexico on vacations

Thanks Tiffany M. I will look into this website I live in Lafayette...used to teach in Iberia Parish actually and they didn't cover it either :(

Look forward to more information!!!

14,000 in Lake Charles.

I'm in houston and paid 15 grand.

[*]Being kidnapped by drug lords or the mexican cartel (I know it sounds CRAZY but it's a real fear of mine)

It's no skin off my back where you go, but that is such a misinformed statement that I'm not even sure where to begin.... Let me guess. You've watched Taken or Man On Fire.... Wow. Just wow ????

I'm going through this same Dr in 15 days. I know about 15 people that have used him and love him. Nothing but good things to say.

You will love him! Feel free to Msg me if you have any questions :)

When I started looking at self pay I looked at Mexico, surgeon I started with, other surgeons in my state, and surgeons in states close. I talked with ALM and R4C. Also talked with several office people here in my area. I am paying 17k for mine. I could pay less in Mexico, yes. But for my personal decision I went with the doc I started with. He did my moms bypass so I know his level of post op care. My mom was running a fever and in a lot of pain a few nights after she came home. He made her go back to the hospital and met her there. Not a NP or CPA. He personally went in at 1:00 in the morning to check in on my mom.

In the states or MX, that is a decision that only you can make. Be diligent with research. Ask questions. Follow what your head and heart tell you.

I can tell you why I am going to Mexico vs staying in Florida. I met with 2 surgeons here who quoted self-pay prices of 20' date='000 and 14,000. I don't have that kind of cash and am not in a position to charge that much.

I started out staying "I'd never..." about Mexico. It sounded like something out of a horror novel to me. Who goes to a place that is little better than a third world country for a major medical procedure?? Then, I watched a documentary on Medical Tourism. It discussed not only Medical Tourism in Mexico but in India, where it is becoming very common place for Americans to receive what would be cost-prohibitive in the US treatments. It discussed a LOT about doctor credentials and what it took in those places to be able to practice medicine. I knew then I might be in a position of having to eat a little crow.

I started researching, having discovered that my insurance through my employer has a total exclusion for weight loss surgery. I met with a surgeon I had previously connected with, who has a bariatric practice but had treated me, in conjunction with my reproductive endocrinologist, to ask her thoughts. I talked to my primary care physician who is outspoken in his opinion that the medical field in the US is broken. If you've ever suffered with a chronic illness or needed expensive care without any insurance, you know it's broken. I got the green light from him to research it more and follow up with him again.

I'm now about 18 months past the original discussions with my doctors. I'm certain that for around 6k, including airfare and other incidentals, I'm making the right choice for ME in going to Mexico. I'm not about to try to convince anyone else it's the right choice for them. My doctor agrees it's the right choice for me. I'm 33 and hypertensive and pre-diabetic, in addition to some other things that add to this being the right choice for my body. I've been on and off of diets for at least the past 10 years. My doctor has personally watched me struggle with my weight, losing some then gaining it back plus more for good measure.

In the end, I don't think that even if it doesn't make sense to you, anyone should have to justify their decision....whether it's to stay in the US and pay more money or if it's to go to Mexico.

~Kat[/quote']

I think you taking this very personal. Is my opinion if you don't like it all you need to do is keep it moving. Your story is similar to my but you right no one need to explain nothing to no one here. We all here for the same reasons. If I think is crazy going to Mexico for the surgery is my opinion not yours. The reason why I say is crazy because Mexico is very dangerous right now with all the human trafficking and violence. I'm Hispanic and I see the news every day. Mexico's one of the highest country with crimes. Do you understand now why I said is crazy and sacry. I been scar for others. I know how it feel to have health issues. I have pcos and psidotumer celebri. Do you know how it feel to get more then one spinal tap because the doctors don't know what is going on in my body. All I know is that one day I was at the eyes doctor then in the emergency room. You tell me.

It's no skin off my back where you go' date=' but that is such a misinformed statement that I'm not even sure where to begin.... Let me guess. You've watched Taken or Man On Fire.... Wow. Just wow dde16[/quote']

Mexican drug cartel do kidnap tourist. It happens. I personally know someone who had his son-in-law shot while riding jet skis on a lake. Crossed into Mexico to photograph a church submerged in the lake. He was shot by cartel members. They still haven't found him after a few years. It was on national news. When rival cartels are fighting for control of border towns people are injured or killed. I'm sorry, but it does happen. And when traveling to Mexico it is advised to check the threat level at the border crossing. It worries me when the threat is down played. 97% of the time you are safe. But it happens in real life. Not just taken or man on fire.

Mexican drug cartel do kidnap tourist. It happens. I personally know someone who had his son-in-law shot while riding jet skis on a lake. Crossed into Mexico to photograph a church submerged in the lake. He was shot by cartel members. They still haven't found him after a few years. It was on national news. When rival cartels are fighting for control of border towns people are injured or killed. I'm sorry' date=' but it does happen. And when traveling to Mexico it is advised to check the threat level at the border crossing. It worries me when the threat is down played. 97% of the time you are safe. But it happens in real life. Not just taken or man on fire.[/quote']

Thanks god someone got my point. Is not like they going from new york to new jersey. Is cheap out there but is different laws. They don't care about american people or tourists in general. all they care is about the money they going to get.

They don't care about american people or tourists in general. all they care is about the money they going to get.

Seriously? And you know this as a fact how?

[*]Follow up after the procedure where would I get support and treatment should something go wrong?

This was a huge concern of mine as well. I am covered by insurance, but I did notice when reading my policy while researching, it specifically excludes complications and follow up care for any non-emergent procedure performed outside the US. So if for some reason I did have to self pay and chose to go to Mexico, I wouldn't be able to have follow up care in the States or any emergency care (at least paid for.by my insurance). I can absolutely understand why this would be a concern for you.

Everyone's path is different. I hope you find a great fit for yours!

For everyone with "Mexiphobia" there certainly is cause to exercise caution when visiting Mexico since there are numerous travel warnings regarding safety in Mexico. Fortunately I feel 100% crossing the boarder in the shuttle, traveling to the Marriott, then taking the hotel shuttle to and from the hospital, then back over the border. Am I going to be wandering down dark alleys at night? No. Now there ARE some mexican border towns that are extremely dangerous.. and guess what? THESE dangerous towns are not hot spots for Medical Tourism.. Go figure.

Personally I've traveled in Pakistan without incident, and passed through Armed Hizzbollah roadblocks in Lebanon regularly while I lived there for a short time... I just learned WHERE I could go and WHERE I should avoid. The same goes for Mexico, there are places that are safe and places that should be avoided... Heck, the same goes for Harrisburg, there are neighborhoods here I won't venture into either.

Just curios, do the costs you are quoted include the hospital costs? Or just the surgeon fee?

Just curios, do the costs you are quoted include the hospital costs? Or just the surgeon fee?

The MX prices include hospital / clinic (1-3 nights) and 1-4 nights in a hotel and the shuttles. The number of nights in each of the facilities depends on the group you are going with and what procedure you are getting (revision, VSG, Plication, Lap-band, etc.)

Thus, you can spend the first 3 or so days if you like where someone else is taking care of you and you can spend the time truly relaxing and recouping.

Mary

I had my sleeve here in the US! It was 100% covered by my insurance. But let me start by saying, Mexico is one of my favorite places to vacation! Fear of Mexico, truly boils down to be uneducated about this country about it.

Yes, God knows many of the border towns are dangerous. However, you can't get much safer that the tourist- resort areas. How many people would travel to these areas if there were tourist constantly being abducted? Not many. The government of Mexico has a much higher police presence in the resort areas. That includes every one of the towns I have heard mentioned as a place with these sleeve centers.

Concern with using a Mexican facility/surgeon should be centered around the difference in health care standards. Mexico doesn't have the same standards as we do in the US/Canada as far as country wide regulation. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that certain facilities can't have the same standards as we do! The MX practices that are successful are using the same standards as we do, and the people are getting way more for what they are paying for down there. These centers' target customers are people from outside of Mexico. These doctors have to align with the US/Canada standards to be successful! The facilities that aren't up to par, are discussed frequently on this board.

The reason people take it personal when someone posts on here negative things about going to Mexico, is because everyone is invested in this decision. None of us woke up one morning and drove to the hospital to have this procedure without a lot of research, thought and emotion. Don't slam someone else's decision because you don't understand how they made it. If Mexico isn't an option for you - cool. No shame in that. But making comments to imply people are crazy for considering it? That is inconsiderate. Good for those who did what they needed to do to take care of themselves!