Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MeasureOfMe’s Mexico Adventure - In Several Parts!

Amber---

I laughed and cried through your entire story! More than your amazing talent for writing, I felt like I was there with you - that I've known you for years. THANK YOU for that!! Nothing about my trip in 8 days will be the same; doctor, hospital, starting weight, etc, yet I feel more relaxed having read your account. Wishing you the very BEST, I look forward to reading more of your progress... Jackie

Leo, the head hunger sucked until I was able to start the mushies this week (I was cleared a bit early). I dealt with it mostly by turning OFF the tv and putting my nose in a cup of strong tea when my guys were eating something I used to define as a favorite. Don't beat yourself up too much, there IS a point where your body starts to actually say it is hungry, it is different than before and a little hard to identify, but I found at times I was thinking it was just head hunger it was really time for a shake.

As for when you get home... Everyone is different. I did great until last week and we figured out how dehydrated I was. I am still bouncing back from that and it sucks, I am more dependent on my husband than I wanted to be as I am weak. Plan to ask your older teens to step up the assistance for a bit and just really watch your fluids. Drinking Water is a new full time job!

Unzipping... Love your name! How true! Thanks for reading my account and God speed as you come to your surgery day! I am glad you found something in my words to support you. That was my hope when I decided to be so... thorough. :)

Measureofme, how are you feeling? Looking forward to your detailed posts about recovery!

Sasha: honestly, I have been better! I've written a few times that my emotional roller coaster started about a week ago, but already that has been getting better. I had a close call with dehydration mid-week and bouncing back from that has been hard. I feel more tired and weak than I did when I got home! I think the bottom line is that I am still healing and like most of us, figuring out how to make the fluid/protein balance happen is more tough than we knew. I have had a few "what the heck did I do to myself" moments but they are fleeting. A big key to understanding that how I feel and what I am experiencing is quite normal has been the posts others have made here. I will try to do a journal, more like the original, just takes a lot of energy and examination. It'll be a few days.

Sasha: honestly' date=' I have been better! I've written a few times that my emotional roller coaster started about a week ago, but already that has been getting better. I had a close call with dehydration mid-week and bouncing back from that has been hard. I feel more tired and weak than I did when I got home! I think the bottom line is that I am still healing and like most of us, figuring out how to make the fluid/protein balance happen is more tough than we knew. I have had a few "what the heck did I do to myself" moments but they are fleeting. A big key to understanding that how I feel and what I am experiencing is quite normal has been the posts others have made here. I will try to do a journal, more like the original, just takes a lot of energy and examination. It'll be a few days.[/quote']

Hang in there!!

You got this :)

Measureofme...love your story. You souns like a very brave woman and im hapoy eveything is going well I still haven't found a surgeon and an looking for the direct phone numbers instead of going brought brokers.

Leo39. I also have a bunch of rug rats...boys ages 1,2,5,7....and I'm a stay at home mom and wondering how long I will need extra help around the house when I gt home from surgery. I just don't buy the line I've gotten from two coordinators "you can have surgery on Friday and be back to work on monday. " yeah, right

Deborah

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I will be seeing Dr.Kelly on March 1st and your story has helped me feel comfortable about my decision. I pray you have a quick recovery and best of luck on your wonderful journey :D

Amber, thanks for sharing your story in such detail! Like Skgirl27, I'm seeing Dr Kelly but in early April. When I get scared and have doubts, I read your story, and again, I'm convinced its the right decision with the right surgeon! Thank you again for sharing your story. I pray that you heal quickly and the mental hunger loses its charm ;).

Linda

Linda, I finally posted my experience on my freaking out thread. I can't express enough what an amazing professional Dr Kelly is. You will be in great hands with him!

Measure some.... All I can say is thank you and I have the utmost respect for how much of you you decided to share with us. If this doesn't help anyone else, know that I will be reading your whole story all the way to dr. Kelly's OR. He was my choice from the beginning ... He just felt righ

Ok, so how much Water DO you drink? I'm kinda confused. Right now I'm pre op so I'm drinking up to 1 hour before I eat and then waiting at least 45 mins after I eat to drink, but if I eat 3 meals a day that's alot of time I can't drink. So how do I get enough in?

I'm also a bit of a wimp about Protein shakes, I don't like choc or strawberry flavour and have yet to find a vanilla or other kind that I truly could see myself drinking every day. I'm thinking of going with unjury's plain powder but I wonder if it tastes chalky... I know this is not a big deal in the long run but for the next couple of months it will be a necessity, right?

Hey Leo... I'm soooooo not the poster child for these things! Before surgery, 64oz of Fluid was relatively easy in a day but I DID practice the idea of not having anything to drink 1/2 hour before eating and for 1/2 hour after. Now, post-op... it came down to how "Sleevie Wonder" was feeling. My tummy empties Water after about 20 minutes but how long after I eat to drink again is totally dependent on the density of what I've eaten. For instance, I can drink Water again pretty soon when having yogurt... but it took about 45 minutes last night before there was room for water after I had some chicken for dinner.

Yes, all these wait times DO cut into your drinking times and you won't be perfect at first (well, most are not). It's a balancing act.

As for the shakes... I'm SOOOOOOO the wrong person to ask. I LOVED them before and right after surgery. About ten days ago though my sleeve said "NO WAY CHICA!". So, I've been struggling with Protein ever since. Yes, it's a necessity and just because you like it (or don't!) right now... your sleeve and tastebuds may change your mind later.

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

My surgery is scheduled for 3/27/13 in Mexico as well. I am going to have my surgery with Dr. Quinones. I so appreciate you sharing your experience with all of us! This is such an emotinoal journey & so much of your story made me tear up! Congratts to you on your new life! God Bless you good girlie!

Tonight I had to make dinner for everyone and they requested my favorite (breakfast for dinner - pretty much everything you can think of, I usually make for them). I really wanted my husband to jump in and say that he'd do it but he had no interest. I think he knows that for awhile after surgery I'll be even less likely to want to cook stuff I can't eat so he's getting in as much home cooking done by me as he can!!

Thanks for the info about drinks. Tomorrow I start clear broths and such. I have two kids home with a fever and I was up all night with them. I have been taking cold FX and immunity FX because I am terrified I will get sick!! Today is the last day I can take them so I'm praying it was enough.

Ok, so how much Water DO you drink? I'm kinda confused. Right now I'm pre op so I'm drinking up to 1 hour before I eat and then waiting at least 45 mins after I eat to drink, but if I eat 3 meals a day that's alot of time I can't drink. So how do I get enough in?

I'm also a bit of a wimp about Protein shakes, I don't like choc or strawberry flavour and have yet to find a vanilla or other kind that I truly could see myself drinking every day. I'm thinking of going with unjury's plain powder but I wonder if it tastes chalky... I know this is not a big deal in the long run but for the next couple of months it will be a necessity, right?

Just a suggestion as I too really dislike Protein Shakes. I have found ViSalus. I wouldn't sign up for their mail delivery service because you get sucked into a monthly delivery, but you can purchase it on Amazon. It is more expensive than some, but.... it smells literally like cake mix. It was a cream flavor to it. You can add flavorings to it if your in the mood for a little chocolate. I mix it with plain Water but most people use some form of milk. Two scoops of powder has less than 100 calories, 7g carbs and 12g Protein. I typically add a small portion of banana (for thicker texture) and ice. A teaspoon of Peanut Butter is good with it too. I've even used a juicer to make "green juice" and mixed that with it to get some added veggie goodness :)