Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

Okay guys, I created a yahoo group for a clothing exchange... send me your email and I will invite you, feel free to pass it along. The name of the group is WLS Clothing Exchange. We will give it a try to see if it works!

OK Dec. BAndsters, I have just had the worst weekend since the band. Had college friends over for the weekend, and need I say that the party was on, but now I cant seem to break the swing of it. Havent excercised all week, lost gym ID, and I've eaten this weekend like I do not have a band around my tummy. Got up this morning with a good outlook, but I can not get out of the funk. Sacle not loking good today either, hoping its just Water weight that made the numbers creep up, and not tru weight gain. Could really use some support, because I'm feeling like I've undone the 20 lbs. I have convinced myself that I will not be hungry as lond I put something in my stomach, and this is basically tru, but I cant get past the feeling of constantly wanting to eat. I go to the fridge a thousand times, but there is nothing in there that would do it for me if ya know what I mean. Nothing to actually satisfy me, because its not hunder I am trying to fill. Oh Boy. I need to make myself busy. Got to get out of the funk.

NN32 - We've all had those days - you just have to dust yourself off and get back on track. Even if you don't feel like it do it. I just did 20 minutes on the treadmill - which is up 5 more then last week. I didn't feel like it but pushed myself and then when I was done and had burned 100 calories I felt great! I had been wanting something sweet - even looking for a recipe to make - and then after my walking I did some stretches and crunches and I looked down and saw this big gob of fat and it totally made me not want to eat again!

NN32- I often have that endless sense of hunger if I have been eating too many carbs, I really feel that carbs make you crave more carbs, so maybe try doing your Protein and produce and hopefully that endless feeling will go away eventually. I also feel like a bottomless pit around that time of month...don't know what to do about that one! Head hunger is a B!+CH.

However you choose to handle it just resolve to have a better day!

NN32- Boy do I know how you feel. The last two days I've wanted to munch. My godsend has been only having the "right" foods in the house. I gave away all the goodies pre-surgery. Now all that stares me in the face is PROTEIN! That and I splurged on fresh blueberries and strawberries for smoothies yesterday.

Well, Seattle and Portland got dumped on again with snow so I have the day off- yeah!!! I'm sure we'll be back tomorrow as it's supposed to warm up this week.

I am exactly one week out from a fill and want to lose the most weight I can before I go to the doctor, so what type of diet do you guys think I should do? I'm thinking low carb, but will that kick in in a week. What kind of crash diets have you guys had success with in th past?

Okie/Kristin - why? Don't get me wrong, we all want to lose weight, and fast, but this isn't a race. You've already lost a lot!!!

I know chubbygirl, this isn't a race...I just feel like an upward movement of the scale would really wreak havoc with my mental state right now, so I just want to see it go down, even if just .5 of a pound. I have a terrible proclivity to just give up, when I get discouraged. I just need a boost to get me through and then, when I start getting fills I feel like things will be easier. I do better when I can tell people I am doing good and when I do poorly I just quit caring, so it doesn't hurt as bad and so I can make myself and others believe I really don't care.

I think I have decided to go low carb for the week, do Atkins because right now I just want to eat, eat, eat and you can eat a lot on atkins.

Interesting - I guess I'm the opposite - I see that you've already done EXTREMELY well - 33lbs is GREAT!!!

If I personally say "oh, I'm going to crash diet" and it doesn't work, it really gets me down and starts the same cycle that gets me to quit dieting over and over again! Just want to make sure you're ok - because you truly do have great weight loss to date!

I'm careful to keep my thoughts in check right now especially since often we won't even notice our first fill... I'm afraid I'll set myself up for failure that way, as I would be disappointed that it didn't get easier right away.

One thing about this group is you get to see and learn different styles and thought processes. What works for one of us, would derail another. :)

So, if I were in your shoes and trying to crash diet, I'd do a high protien, "good carb" diet (veggies/fruits) that is low in fat (which Atkins sometimes isn't) at a max of 1000-1200 cal/day. Measure your foods, write or journal what you eat, exercise, and it should work!

Thanks Chubby, I always need someone to keep in check, so feel free to speak it like it is... As I thought more about it, it occured to me that if I eat "the bandster way" it is practically low carb (protein and produce)... so I am just going to try to do that and do the best I can until I get my fill. If I get the munchies I will just try to eat those foods on the free list for the Atkins diet. I am going to eat healthy and not worry about the portion sizes for the moment.

You are right, I also need to consider how I would feel if I crash dieted and it didn't work, so, I am going to eat healthy and know that I ate healthy regardless of what the scale says next tuesday.

I am unlike alot of others, I have never really had any measurable success on any diet or fitness plan and I so badly want this to work...I just get my logic all fried sometimes. The diet I stuck to the longest was Atkins (3 mos) and I felt good doing that so that is kind of what I fall back on. But, thinking back, I didn't change my habits (late nite snacking) and that is why I eventually failed...and the goal of the band is to change those habits, so that is what I want to do...quit late nite snacking (for one). So today I will eat nothing after 9:00 pm.

Well, anyway, thanks for the support and reframing of my thoughts.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the support. I was out of the house for most of the day today, so I had a better day than the last 3. FInding the more busy I am the more managable food is. Just came from moms and she made me dinner. Puts a plate in from of me and says oh thats all you can eat anyway. Then proceeds to tell me that she would have felt better if the Dr would have filled me on my last visit. Amazing since she is a size 4 that she would have felt better. Just got home and immediatly open the fridge for satisfaction. NOt sure what else I can include in my life to feel better. I am pretty much operating at the top of my game. Good kids, good hubby, no money, but its getting better. Need to excercise it off I think, but of course cant get motivated. I understand that carbs make you crave carbs, and I think that is a big part of it. From the beginning I had a hard time with breads, but after pizza this weekend and Pasta, and all the left overs, I am stuck in carb hell. I crave things too, sweet and salty, and crunchy. Cant be real hunger, I have to convince me. Thanks for all the support. KEep it coming. I hope you are doing well, and you have the support you need. If not,you know where to turn.

NN32

Hey girls...

It's funny (not funny "haha") that all these recent threads are surrounding the issues I am having the most difficultly with lately. It's been SO hard. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry!!!!!!!! I just can't seem to quench that "thirst" for mushies.

I was banded on Dec. 21st. Anyone in and around that time move to solids yet? I am VERY tempted to try something, as I think when I moved from full liquids to mushies, I was much more satisfied. I do not have a fill scheduled until Feb.2nd, which is the earliest my doc. will allow.

HELP???

((Okie))) I think ChubbyGirl took the words out of my mouth. I am glad you decided against a quickie/crash diet since that is not going to do a thing for your well being in the long run. You have lost a good amount of weight in a short time, your body is going to take little spells in the journey to readjust to the changes it is going through. That may include a plateau or even an occasional gain (I know that is horrifying-but possible). You have to believe if you make healthy choices, follow the bandster rules and exercise, you will lose weight in a normal amount of time. You can do it girl! Hang in there and deal with those emotions..do eat them or diet them away! (I battle this too so you are not alone).

nn3-moms are funny creatures aren't they? I am sorry yours sent you to the fridge. Mine has done that in the past too. You need to make a choice to deal with this stuff, stand up for yourself and convince yourself that you are stronger than a comment from a loved one. What satisfaction are you really going to find in that fridge? Sure, there will be something sinful and tasty, but that quickly spirals into self loathing...don't ya think? I say this knowing that I have spent the past 10 years or more doing the same darn thing. It is so easy to tell you what you should do, but then to practice it is hard. But the point is practice! Sometimes we will all foul up but if we put our best effort into it, we will succeed. Hang in there.

Hi everyone. Just posting that I need to share that I am feeling better than I have in years. I am not hungry for the first time in my life. I am here, on mushies, loving it, no fill, exericising consistently, and full of energy. I wish this feeling would last forever. I am having a lot of anxiety over my upcoming school schedule (starting tomorrow) and my younger daughter tests me enough to push me over the edge...but the beauty is, I am FEELING IT. I am not running to the fridge/pantry and downing a sleeve of oreos to numb the aggravations. It is hard. I was joking with my husband yesterday. I said "I don't drink, I gave up coffee, soda, cigarettes (years ago), and now I don't eat..would it be bad is I started smoking pot to calm down?" Of course I am joking as I feel too old to start that habit now..the thing is, it is hard to cope when you don't have a crutch. I have always had a crutch. Sometimes it hurts, but I am learning to deal for the first time in my life. I am hopeful that it will become easier and a habit...wish me luck as I wish all of you the same.

Hi everyone. Just posting that I need to share that I am feeling better than I have in years. I am not hungry for the first time in my life. I am here, on mushies, loving it, no fill, exericising consistently, and full of energy. I wish this feeling would last forever. I am having a lot of anxiety over my upcoming school schedule (starting tomorrow) and my younger daughter tests me enough to push me over the edge...but the beauty is, I am FEELING IT. I am not running to the fridge/pantry and downing a sleeve of oreos to numb the aggravations. It is hard. I was joking with my husband yesterday. I said "I don't drink, I gave up coffee, soda, cigarettes (years ago), and now I don't eat..would it be bad is I started smoking pot to calm down?" Of course I am joking as I feel too old to start that habit now..the thing is, it is hard to cope when you don't have a crutch. I have always had a crutch. Sometimes it hurts, but I am learning to deal for the first time in my life. I am hopeful that it will become easier and a habit...wish me luck as I wish all of you the same.

WHAT is your secret?????? I am also on mushies - and just SO hungry lately!!!!! please share!!! :rolleyes: thanks!