Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustration is gotta be part of it all!! You got to give it time... This is not a hurry up deal. Give your body time to heal and give yourself a pat on your back! You can do this... call your dietician and physician for advice!! Good Luck.

OnAJourney, when I was at your stage, if my partner had something and the sight of it was driving me crazy, I would have a small bite and chew for about 5 minutes. You get the flavor and sometimes you find that it just isn't that great anymore. And rather than think about quantity I would think about eating something quality. Some restaurants don't have quality at all, and if that's the case don't eat. Order a low fat ice chocolate and you will feel satisfied.

I think at one point in the begging stages WE were all thinking this!!! Maybe not the regret part. But what the freak was I thinking!!! Meaning you wanted that steak or salad!!! But with time it gets better and easier. And you just have to change your habits. It's hard for awhile but be leave me it gets easier day by day!!! Best of luck :-)

Actually I do see the humor lol.

Maybe if we change the subject people can stop having knee jerk reactions to a thread that was posted as a rant when someone was having a bad day.

Mmmm....Greek food....

Keep up the good work Alley-gator and any regrets are natural and human. Screw anyone that knocks you. I actually feel that you being honest and your nature posts put you in a good position as a advocate for the surgery. Honesty is what people need with life changing surgery such as VST. The fact that you like Greek food could also be a plus because Greek yoghurt is one of the best if not the best Yoghurt for our surgery plus much of the foods have a good mix of nutrition we need post surgery.

Love your posts keep them coming!!!

I have a question,because I dont know. But for the people who are self pay, do you go thru all the visits with a shrink and nutritionist? I know that us who go thru our insurance we have to before surgery. Im just wondering if alot of the unhappiness is because they are not fully prepared for all of this before hand. And I would think that going to monthly support groups would help. I am almost a year out and I look forward to the groups,helps alot and keeps you on track

In the UK there are a number of visits with nutritionists but as for psychology I have had none and I'm self pay. I know my mind and my body I'm prepared for it to be hard. The hardest thing for me being fat is that it's a constant yoyo of feel good by binge eating then depressed after. The fact that this will and does have to physically stop helps with that aspect of depression. A new depression of why can't I eat this and that sets in. Fact is even my skinny nephew has this. We all need to know our limits to food that what it comes down to in the end.

Good luck

I have a question,because I dont know. But for the people who are self pay, do you go thru all the visits with a shrink and nutritionist? I know that us who go thru our insurance we have to before surgery. Im just wondering if alot of the unhappiness is because they are not fully prepared for all of this before hand. And I would think that going to monthly support groups would help. I am almost a year out and I look forward to the groups,helps alot and keeps you on track

I was self-pay. I can't speak for all self-pay, particularly those who go out of country, but yes, I had to go through all the visits with shrink and nutritionists, plus have all the medical tests. The only thing I did not have to do was undergo medically supervised dieting for any period of time, thank goodness. That alone was worth the money.

I felt extremely informed, prepared and ready for the surgery and the changes it would bring. I do not attribute this in any way to shrink and nutritionist visits - that was just jumping through hoops. Instead I attribute it to my own research, soul-searching, self-awareness, preparation, realistic expectations and true readiness for and acceptance of change.

I was self-pay. I can't speak for all self-pay' date=' particularly those who go out of country, but yes, I had to go through all the visits with shrink and nutritionists, plus have all the medical tests. The only thing I did not have to do was undergo medically supervised dieting for any period of time, thank goodness. That alone was worth the money.

I felt extremely informed, prepared and ready for the surgery and the changes it would bring. I do not attribute this in any way to shrink and nutritionist visits - that was just jumping through hoops. Instead I attribute it to my own research, soul-searching, self-awareness, preparation, realistic expectations and true readiness for and acceptance of change.[/quote']

I'm with ya.

23000 dollar later I we t through all the visits and I don't believe any of them prepared me for this. I glad I did it but I thought I knew it all. Lol. Well I didn't!!

You don't know if I was mentally ready or not' date=' I researched long & hard and knew what I was getting in to. That doesn't negate the fact that it is hard and you have to put in the work. And as for counseling, I began that of my own volition well before my surgery, and I am continuing it now. I actually think that everyone going through this surgery really should go through therapy just to talk to someone who can guide us through it. I truly want to fix my food issues, not just glide over them for 6 months because I have restriction.[/quote']

Alley-gator, you're going to do just fine!!! So, many of us had the "buyer's remorse", feelings of frustration, and the grieving to deal with. I realized I didn't get to the point of deciding to have the surgery because I ended up morbidly obese overnight! So, for me to change years and years of bad and unhealthy eating habits, wasn't going to change overnight either. Thank God for my counselor!!! He told me to take it one day at a time. Focus on just getting through the day successfully. If, I slip up, do better the next day! I'll be six months out on the 30th of this month. Some days are easier than others, but, when I look back at what I looked like, felt like physically and mentally, prior to being taken in for the surgery and where I am now, I have tears of joy! Take it one day at a time! From being on this forum, i decided not to purchase a scale. So, I only go by the scale at my clinic or at my Primary's office. If I've stalled, I wouldn't know or care less. I, know I am working this sleeve!!! You'll work it too! I'm glad you're in therapy. Give yourself and the sleeve some slack! I wish you the very best and sending you a big hug!

I was self-pay. I can't speak for all self-pay' date=' particularly those who go out of country, but yes, I had to go through all the visits with shrink and nutritionists, plus have all the medical tests. The only thing I did not have to do was undergo medically supervised dieting for any period of time, thank goodness. That alone was worth the money.

I felt extremely informed, prepared and ready for the surgery and the changes it would bring. I do not attribute this in any way to shrink and nutritionist visits - that was just jumping through hoops. Instead I attribute it to my own research, soul-searching, self-awareness, preparation, realistic expectations and true readiness for and acceptance of change.[/quote']

I felt very prepared also,I read everything I could about it on the internet,even watched on YouTube ,a surgery. My Dr also gave me a binder full of info,and it included foods to eat and at what stages.and like you said,I was mentally ready.

I can't stop watching vsg surgery videos on YouTube! Is that wrong of me? :)

I was self pay as well and wasn't required to see a nut or a psych. I admit I wasn't ready for the changes even though I had tons of info.

One of the reasons I didn't have to see a psychologist is because I am one. However, even though I knew what to expect and how to deal with it from the literature, it was very hard to do it in practice.

I was self-pay in Mexico and there were no required Dr or NUT visits.

I was self pay because of my age and Medicare requirements with my Blue cross insurance. Because I ended up having other procedures at the same time, I actually got some of my money back from the hospital. I agreed to do everything before and after surgery including support groups ( non where I live) and nut classes. Got a large booklet ahead of time to explain everything before and ahead as well as many handouts when I go for checkups. Very caring doc and staff!!!

hmmmmm.............

back on topic :)

alley-gator

how do you feel "mentally" after reading all the great responses???

just as importantly, how are you physically feeling today???

everybody cares about you (and OP in the same situation) thats why you are getting so many responses :)

hope all the words of wisdom from everyone have helped

your problems/situation will improve, promise!!!

would i lie to you ^_^