Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hating Myself & Afraid Less than 6 Weeks Out...Long Post...Needing Support

Oh, and the Vitamins? I LOVE mine! I got chewable Multivitamins, chewable Calcium, sublingual B12 and Biotin lozenges. I'm only 2 weeks and a few days out, and have only advanced to moist and mushy foods 2 days ago, but my Vitamins are the highlight of my meals.

A lot of people above me have posted a lot of great things. You are not alone!

Please please tell which vitamins you're taking. I ordered Purity chewables -- (they are specifically for WLS/Gastric Sleeve patients ) and I can barely tolerate them. Makes me dread taking them....

If you are cleared for foods then eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Only shakes for breakfast and lunch is like a pre op diet. It's not neccesary post op.

Eat your breakfast, get full then carry a water bottle with you until lunch.

Eat lunch, get full and carry Water til dinner

And eat dinner etc

If you get hungry in between, eat nuts, cheese cubes, or small yogurt.

You can do this...even if you like to eat as I do, we eat so little at a time that if we keep it healthy we will lose the weight.

Stop weighing yourself and take one day at a time.

Next time you want chicken nuggets that's fine just eat grilled nuggets.

Even 10 eaten through out the day is on program. It's a healthy Protein.< /p>

Don't feel like you can't do this because you can...please keep reaching for help.

We all need it and we are here for you!!!

Stay strong!!!<3

Deedee, I'm on my phone so I can't see your profile. Can you tell me who your Dr is and where your from..perhaps others here know of a support group in your area.

Aww, I am so sorry you are struggling. The good news is you are asking for help and that is the first step! This is not an easy journey but it wi be worth it in the long run!! Keep your appts that you have set up and try to begin following g the nuts guidelines. Hang in and use all the supports you have to turn this around for yourself , YOU are worth it!!!

DeeDee,

My heart goes out to you, and please know that you are not alone. My surgeon also has us on an extremely strict diet plan, and I feel like I'm a failure because at 5 weeks, Water is still a huge issue for me. I ate more often than my allowed 3 meals a day for Christmas, and find myself hungry a lot more now. I just had my period and stalled out as well.

I find myself getting depressed from all the posts I see "2 months out and x number of pounds down" with pictures. I look at myself and think, I'll never hit that much at 2 months, at 3 months, at 6 months.

Something that really hit me yesterday: my first weight goal was to lose 25 pounds and hit 275. I've been so stuck on how much of a failure I am that I never took the time to Celebrate the 25 I lost when I hit 275. Instead of looking at it from a "I have so much to lose" think of it from a "I have lost so much" I haven't been under 275 in years. My clothes haven't fit this way in a while, and it's sad because I'll need new clothes soon.

Celebrate the small victories. Pre-sleeve, how long would it take you to lose those 31 pounds?

Speak with your NUT and a psych. They would be able to better help you with these issues. But congratulations on the weight loss so far :) you are pounds closer to goal :)

I am not a doctor so can't really make a good guess at what is going on, but i do want to offer you encouragement. None of us got to being over 300# without physical and emotional "issues" with food. You are not a bad person, you are just not on the right path. You are doing the absolute right thing reaching out for help.

One comment I would make is that your program seems very rigid. I currently eat low carb because i want to get to goal, but it was not required by my program and my program actually was about teaching us to eat small portions, but eat normal food. Your programs sounds an awful lot like a diet to me..which might be part of the problem?

So, how can some of us help you? The sleeve is a tool and there are things we do that influence how well it works. I am doing low carb right now, so even a year out I am having to remind myself to eat and often undereat. Not intentionally, that is just a consequence. This summer I got a little lax with my eating, my losses slowed down and my hunger increased. My body gets simple carbs and it wants more!!!!

Yes, the program my office uses is very rigid & "diet" like. When the nutritionist gave it to me this week I thought that I was going to cry. I really thought that at this appointment I was going to be cleared for most healthy foods & just need to watch my portions. As far as how anyone can help...just replying & sharing your experience is help. I am not a person who usually asks for help & am not great at it. So, I guess this my attempt.

Sorry to hear you are struggling!!! Looking at your nutritionist guidelines, I will have to say that they are EXTREMELY strict!!!! 20g of Carbs a day?? Wow. So my Dr's office recommends 60-80 g Protein and 60-100g Carbs, trying to stay no more than 15 per meal/snack. They also do not want us drinking Protein shakes once we are done with the liquid phase as we need to learn to get our Protein from real food. Do you think if you felt freedom to eat more than once a day that would help?? I

So the Vitamins....I feel you. I am a terrible pill taker. I finally bought gummy vitamins for women, and I set 2 alarms to go off each day to remind me to take them.

I definitely feel like it would help if I had more freedom in my food choices. Your program sounds so much more reasonable. My program says no more than 6g of carbs per meal/snack. Do you know how hard that is? The alarm for the Vitamins is a good idea. Probably taking them out of the box they were shipped in would be a good idea too.. :unsure:

Ok I told myself I would never post to this site again ( long story)

But your post really got to me. Sounds like we had surgery about the same time..

This is a hard journey mentally, I have been able to eat my whole life past the point of full . Eat wait awhile till it doesn't hurt eat some more. this surgery doesn't really fix that does it? I talk to a couple of girls that I met in the hospital having the same surgery. Yesterday one of them called me and we laughed and talked about how she just got back from the movies and ate nachos and ice cream and it was easy! Darn that you only feel restriction from Proteins !! I mean eating chicken and fish cooked healthy didn't get me here!

That being said I know the struggle.

I read a book and still read it, its called

" Anatomy of a food addiction" and wow did it hit home!! There is some technical stuff in there that boggled my mine a bit but that book made me look at my problem differently and instead of hating myself I found a way to care about me and understand why I was doing what I was doing...

If by chance you have a "Nook" I could lend it to you. But if you don't they sell it on Amazon.< /p>

Thank you for breaking your rule of never posting again. I truly appreciate it. The book you recommended sounds interesting. I do have a Nook, although I am a little new to the technology. (it was a Christmas present) I would love to hear how you could share the book with me!

Dana,

I have Solotron chewable Multivitamins (GNC). They're wafer-like - I let them dissolve in my mouth. I also have the chewable Calcium wafers from bariatric support citrus-flavored. They're a little powdery, but I do the same thing - let them dissolve in my mouth. I love the flavors.

Dee dee

We are all learning. Our doctors all have different opinions. This is a learning adventure. It was suggested I up my calories and my surgeon told me my carbs was to low at 20-30 carbs per day. He said my body needed more carbs than that to be healthy.

Not to sound like I know it all, this evening as I ate supper I knew I was behind in calories today. I felt the chest pain and I took a bite felt it again and took another the I thought I need theses calories I am going take another bite. We can now mark most of supper off my intake. I had a lean beef patty, 1/4 cup greens and 1/2 small potato baked no toppings. I eat the Protein and greens but that potato should have stayed on the plate.

I tell you all that because we are learning to try and balance what the doctor says we should do verse what our bodies tell us we should do. It is an unperfect journey. Tomorrow we fight again!

As I read your post my heart sank! Friend, you are on a journey to a new you. This involves discovering ourselves and it sounds like you are. I am 22 days post op and I struggle daily with getting in water/liquids and Protein. I agree that you are in a rigid eating plan . Step ack- take a few deep breaths and gives yourself room for misses. Quit being are in you -sister- I screwed up and shoveled snow just over 2 weeks out and think I injured my stomach- but I own it and hope for the best in the mdst of the pain ;(. YOU GOT THS !!! Believe in yourself and take some moments to decide to do even one different - journey on friend, journey on!!

Thanks. When my boyfriend got home from work tonight I broke down & told him how I was struggling. He was truly shocked. He told me how he was so proud of me & was noticing how my body had been changing. He said he had no idea that I hadn't lost weight in 3 weeks because he was just thinking how my face & stomach were noticeably thinner. My doctor cleared me for yoga this week. I told my boyfriend that I missed it but it really wasn't in the budget this month. He told me to go & he would pay for it. So, I will be going to a Gentle Stretch Yoga class tomorrow morning.

That post op diet sounds like a very strict pre-op diet or just a strict diet diet....obviously that did not work for you ( or any of us) so you made the decision to have WLS. Is the post-op diet the same for all of your surgeon's patients?

Yes, all my surgeon's patients have the same post-op diet. It is Phase 3 for them. They give you a sheet. Phase 0 was 1 week of Water only. Phase 1 was 2 weeks of Protein Shakes & water. Phase 2 was adding some soft Protein & veggies. Frankly, I thought Phase 3 was going to allow me to eat more "normal" food, but portion controlled. Less than 20g of carbs per day is Atkins Phase 1 all over again for me. There was a reason I only lasted 6 weeks on THAT diet! :(

Awesome! And yoga- a great place to start. Sounds like your boyfriend has your back!! Love it!!! Work it out sister!!

I definitely feel like it would help if I had more freedom in my food choices. Your program sounds so much more reasonable. My program says no more than 6g of carbs per meal/snack. Do you know how hard that is? The alarm for the Vitamins is a good idea. Probably taking them out of the box they were shipped in would be a good idea too.. :unsure:

DeeDee - you are going to be fine. You are already on your way with a good sense of humor!

We were told to spread the Vitamins out - Multivitamin with the morning meal, Calcium with lunch, Multivitamin with dinner, calcium before bed. That seems to be working for me so far.

Thank you for breaking your rule of never posting again. I truly appreciate it. The book you recommended sounds interesting. I do have a Nook' date=' although I am a little new to the technology. (it was a Christmas present) I would love to hear how you could share the book with me![/quote']

I'm going to figure out how we do it then I will PM

You!! I really think you will like the insights to why we do this! And how to love ourselves ;)