Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't help but wonder aren't we just doctor controlled Anorexic? Been thinking that we will be living on minimal food to produce weight loss? My husband was confused how this is any different then starving myself. Reality I didn't have much of an answer on the differences. Can anyone help me answer that question?

Actually, one of the listed POSSIBLE side effects that I had to sign off on pre surgery was risk for anorexia. I don't see the goal of this surgery as to starve myself, but to only give the body what it needs to be healthy. We SHOULD be able to get in proper nutrition, but not overeat.

Anorexia nervosa is a serious mental health issue with dire consequences to a persons physical health. VSG is all about getting healthy and improving your physical well being and being your best. I don't see that there are any similarities.

with anorexia nervosa individuals only eat once or twice a day and I mean 50-200 calories per day. and with the vsg, you'll eat less but you'll eat more frequently and you will have to eat like "normal" people. anorexia is mental.

But anorexia is just the absense of hunger and loss of appetite.

But dont some of us need a bit of anorexia (not anorexia nervosa) in order for us to lose weight and stay slim?

I certainly get hungry later in the day.I just get to a point where,no matter what Im busy with,I get really crabby if I dont get food.My kids laugh about it when I start saying,I've got to eat,now! I never experienced this before and my 21 year old that is 4'11 and weighs 80 pounds have always been like that.4 bites or so and both her and myself are now satisfied.I am now 9 months out and almost at goal and I just wish it could stay like this forever.

You will see,this is an absolute great feeling to not desire or think about food all the time!

I think anorexia means the absence of hunger but people with nervosa do have hunger, they just won't eat. I think it's unfair to compare WLS to a dark mental health issue that kills a lot of people - but that's just me.

Anorexia is simply the absence of appetite. Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder where the individual is not only not eating enough, but is AFRAID to eat.

Unlike those suffering from anorexia nervosa, we are NOT starving. We can afford to live on so few calories per day because we've got lots of fuel in our bodies already in the form of stored fat.... Now, that said, there is a possibility that we can become anorexic in the future.. I mean anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder... and let's face it, most of us are prone to disordered eating already, so it could be slight possibility. I watched a documentary about a super-morbidly obese woman in the UK who had WLS and died from what amounted to complications from anorexia.

For what I know, starving and being afraid to eat is anorexia nervousa. You need a few things to fit into the cathegory, one of them I think is to be certain amount of poundes underweight. However, if you are obese, are afraid to eat, you are restricting so much and this is affecting you health and quality of life, I know you could end up being treated for anorexia nervousa.

I was sleeved on 12/05/12 and the first week was hard to even complete 100-200 calories eaten all day. But I've been working this numbers up, so I can add more Protein and carbs. And as soon as I'm hungry I eat. I just get full with 2oz of whatever. But if I suddenly didnt want to eat and w as starving purposely, I think the chance of becoming anorexic would be high. We need to be careful.

I am not mentally ill - that is the difference. I am doing this to save my life, not end it early.

I am a week out from surgery and don't want to progress my diet. I just want tomtay on broth so I can continuentomdropmweight as quickly as possible.

Is this a normal feeling or unhealthy?

I, too have wondered about the similarities to anorexia. Having been anorexic/bulimic in the past, the biggest difference is the mental attitude. I am not scared to eat, I feel no need to vomit, and I have no guilt because I LISTEN to my body and the signs taht I am full. I just feel like I have a better relationship with food, without the stressfulness of anorexia. Eat to live, not live to eat.

Anorexia is a mental health issue where people intentionally starve themselves. We chos to have wls to better our health and have a longer life span. I eat to fuel my body not starve it :)

I am not sure there is a "normal" but what I will say is that you need to progress on the journey.... go through the stages and steps. The steps teach you many lessons... this is a lifelong deal and it is a mistake to only focus on what appears to be short term gains.

I am a week out from surgery and don't want to progress my diet. I just want tomtay on broth so I can continuentomdropmweight as quickly as possible.

Eventually you have to eat more to lose more. You'll find that balance eventually where you're having low calories but still fuelling your metabolism.