Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi -

Has anyone used Dr. Ariel Ortiz? Any feedback would be great! :)

Thank you,

Tami

I did a search here on vst and found a thread woth 45 replies that had a lot if happy patients. I have to say that I'd go to him if I coul afford the 1,000$ more. Sigh.

Id link you but I'm on my phone.

Hi -

Has anyone used Dr. Ariel Ortiz? Any feedback would be great! :)

Thank you,

Tami

Tami - I am a pre-surgery too. I have been denied by my insurance company and then started researching what options were available in Mexico. A bariatric surgeon who has done many procedures at a center of excellence were important to me. So, I verified Dr. Ortiz's credentials and did a lot of online research. He has a lot of information available on YouTube I have found beneficial. His Patient Coordinator Lori has answered all my questions and I feel comfortable and excited about going to Dr. Ortiz. Plus, I thought his rates were really competitive. So, I am headed to Tijuana in February!

I also read a lot of good things about Dr. Guillermo Alverez and Dr. Aceves.

Good luck and let me know who you select and when you go for surgery!

All the best -

Shelley

Tami - I am a pre-surgery too. I have been denied by my insurance company and then started researching what options were available in Mexico. A bariatric surgeon who has done many procedures at a center of excellence were important to me. So, I verified Dr. Ortiz's credentials and did a lot of online research. He has a lot of information available on YouTube I have found beneficial. His Patient Coordinator Lori has answered all my questions and I feel comfortable and excited about going to Dr. Ortiz. Plus, I thought his rates were really competitive. So, I am headed to Tijuana in February!

All the best -

Shelley

I am going either late feb or eairly to mid march I am so excited my sister just came back from there she said they were wonderful she also said the town was very safe and the staff was excellent

I am going either late feb or eairly to mid march I am so excited my sister just came back from there she said they were wonderful she also said the town was very safe and the staff was excellent

Great to know! All the best to your sister and to you! When I finalize my date, I will let you know to see if we will be there at the same time.

All the best -

Shelley

Shelley are your dates that you will be there?

I had surgery w/ Dr Ariel Ortiz in May 2012... I'm down almost 80 lbs in 6 mo. My experience was great. I highly recommend him and the staff. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I went to Dr. Ortiz. A friend of mine is an RN and she had the Lapland done three years ago. She had nothing but positive things to say. I was sleeved on Nov 14 and had a great experience. I would def recommend to others. I had the surgery on a Tuesday, one night at the clinic then two nights at the hotel and then home. The first 36 hours were rough, but that's because the anesthesia and I didn't get a along. In all super positive experience. My scars are very small and light. I am three weeks out and down 19 pounds. Very pleased. Good luck. Oh and if you have questions call their 800 number. The patient coordinators are wonderful and super knowledgeable.

I had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz on April 16th and I can honestly say it was the best decision I have EVER made!!! I am down 113 lbs so far and I feel amazing!! I am actually on his before and after section of his website and I have a featured youtube clip. I am an advocate as Dr. Ortiz has changed my life. He and his staff took such great care of me! I have posted several times about my experience so if you search under my posts you should find more info. One of his coordinators, Lori Wrights had her band to sleeve revision the same day as me.. We call each other "sleeve sisters"!!! LOL

I have pictures posted of the facility and of my surgery day if you are interested in looking....

As always... I am here for support as well... So, if any of you have any questions or concerns please let me know.. I am glad to help!

Best of Luck!!!

Emily

Shelley are your dates that you will be there?

Tami - at this time, I am planning on Wednesday, February 27. I'll be traveling from Indianapolis to San Diego the day before. Let me know your dates as you finalize your plans. All the best to you!

You guys are awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Any other advice for a newbie??

How much does it cost? And what about the after care? How long do you stay in Mexico? I'm considering going to Mexico if my insurance doesn't approve it.

How much does it cost? And what about the after care? How long do you stay in Mexico? I'm considering going to Mexico if my insurance doesn't approve it.

There are surgeons that charge anywhere from approx. 4500 - 9500 in Mexico. I flew in on a Sunday, had my surgery Monday, was discharged and laying by the pool on Tuesday and flew back home on Friday. I could have left on Thursday but I wanted an extra day in San Diego. As far as after care?? My PCP here in the states was extremely supportive and agreed to perform all of my after care which has really been nothing. I have gone to her for a routine check up but there is really no aftercare needed. My stitches were dissolveable and I had surgi glue on the outside. Everything was pretty much healed at 7-10 days out. At one year I will have my blood work checked and maybe an endoscopy to make sure all looks good in my tummy but the only thing that I have needed my PCP for was for a Nexium prescription for my reflux. Acid reflux has been my only issue since surgery and Nexium once a day or over the counter Prilosec twice a day has been my cure. Everything else has been a breeze!! Best decision I have ever made! :)

That's why I am planning for Mexico in the Spring. So many surgeons with a wide price range. The surgeons I hear the most about are (in alphabetical order so as not to imply favoritism)

Dr. Aceves

Dr. Almanza

Dr. Alvarez

Dr. F. Garcia

Dr. J. Ramos Kelly

Dr. Lopez (mine)

Dr. A. Ortiz

Dr. J. Ortiz

Dr. Osuna (spouse of Dr. Lopez)

Dr. J. ponce de leon

That's all that pops in my head at this time. There are more that I'm sure others will add but these names I see a lot.

Amanda Rae

Great to know! All the best to your sister and to you! When I finalize my date' date=' I will let you know to see if we will be there at the same time.[/quote']

That sounds great I will know for sure when my date is soon good luck :)