Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I was in Walmart and decided to just look at the Protein foods section in the pharmacy department. I knew they sold Protein Bars, but I had never tried any (I used to only shop in the candy bar section). I saw a very large variety of bars, some with as much as 20 grams of protein per bar and low carbs! I was just wondering if these can be used in place of shakes later on? I sure could see myself enjoying a "caramel nut bar" vs. another shake.< /p>

I hope so-- I dont mention this to my Dietitian because she yelled at me for eating raw veges at a party- I figured it was the lesser of all evils- Im 7 weeks post op (sleeved 10/10/12. She said ABSOLUTELY NO RAW VEGES OR fruit TILL 4 MONTHS OUT!!! Any way I buy high Protein and low carb bars to eat as Meal Replacements while out and about- I figured it was better than skipping a meal. One is always in my purse!

I order the variety pack and the caramel crunch Protein bars by BariWise and they're the best I've found. Some protein bars taste SO BAD, so try them before buying a box! lol

I hope so-- I dont mention this to my Dietitian because she yelled at me for eating raw veges at a party- I figured it was the lesser of all evils- Im 7 weeks post op (sleeved 10/10/12. She said ABSOLUTELY NO RAW VEGES OR fruit TILL 4 MONTHS OUT!!! Any way I buy high Protein and low carb bars to eat as meal replacements while out and about- I figured it was better than skipping a meal. One is always in my purse!

Even at 4.5 months raw veggies are hard to at. I have tried broccoli / Brussels sprouts (diced) and both did not digest so well.

My NUT said I can have Protein bars once I'm on solids again, but you have to be really careful of the carbs/sugars bc so many of them advertise high Protein but if you look at the carbs, they are super high. I found a bar once that was 45g carbs...& very little Fiber to valance the carbs out. I almost had a heart attack from guilt (I was on Atkins at the time)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 347*294/284/135 (*347HW/294SSW) | (twitter) @Mwrarr | mwrarr.wordpress.com

Even at 4.5 months raw veggies are hard to at. I have tried broccoli / Brussels sprouts (diced) and both did not digest so well.

What about cooked? I have had the broccoli cheddar Soup from the Breadco

What about cooked? I have had the broccoli cheddar Soup from the Breadco

Yes, cooked is fine. I just struggle on the raw ones.

Yes, cooked is fine. I just struggle on the raw ones.

Whew! Thank goodness, we have to be able to get some type of veggie in. So pretty much no salad until like 5 to 6 months?

Whew! Thank goodness' date=' we have to be able to get some type of veggie in. So pretty much no salad until like 5 to 6 months?[/quote']

I don't eat veggies that often, so am not the best to readily answer that question. Essentially, I get my nutrients from supplements including a superfood which has 75 different powered fruits and veggies in it. That being said, I did enjoy some green bean casserole over thanksgiving.

I have a Protein Bar for Breakfast every morning. I also eat raw fruit as a snack and raw veggies. I've had no issues all on my allowed list and I'm just shy of 2 months out.

I didn't have any problems with eating raw fruits and veges either . I am almost 2 months post op. the PA said do you want a leak? Looks like your asking for one.

I like the Protein bars made by Quest. I get them at GNC or order from Quest directly. High in Protein and low in carbs. They are very dense and filling. I tried the Protein Bars from Celebrate and didn't care for them at all - while high protein/low carb, they are made with what tastes like small bits of rice krispies and some type of gooey material so the texture is grainy and they aren't very filling. Not to mention I don't like the taste.

As far as raw veggies, my surgery was on 9/10/12 and I've been eating raw veggies for a couple of weeks - no problems at all.

Those wondering about salads - I would think that all that lettace would be filling perhaps but with very little nutritional value - unless it's made with spinach. Walden Farms makes several salad dressings/sauces that are 0 calories/0 carbs - I like some on my veggies to change up the flavor sometimes.

So' date=' I was in Walmart and decided to just look at the Protein foods section in the pharmacy department. I knew they sold Protein bars, but I had never tried any (I used to only shop in the candy bar section). I saw a very large variety of bars, some with as much as 20 grams of protein per bar and low carbs! I was just wondering if these can be used in place of shakes later on? I sure could see myself enjoying a "caramel nut bar" vs. another shake.[/quote']

Yes those are great. I buy the Atkins but the ones that are use during phase one of the Atkins diet. I also bought those during my pre-op diet.

What do you think about the Think thin bars that claim zero sugars and high Protein. I think trader joes sell these and I have seen them on Amazon.< /p>

I've tried the Think Thin bars too. They are pretty good but aren't as dense/filling as the Quest bars.