Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking Of Not Doing It,

No judging or rude comments please:)

I am 32 yrs old and have been overweight for 5 years. During this 5 years I have had fertility treatments babies and depression. I have gone from 135lbs to 170. I am 5'3. I have a BMI of 30. All my life I have struggled with weight but been able to keep it maintained within the healthy range. I decided to book a gastric sleeve surgery after hearing bad things about the lap band. My goal with to get back down and maintain 135. I am having major doubts right now. I am paid up and booked for Thursday.

First off, i HATE the pre-op diet. I am dizzy and cant take care of the babies. I am STARVING too. Next is the aftermath I am having issues with. Never be able to drink and eat at the same time? No more wine and cheese? or beer and hot dogs. I understand for losing weight but 10 yrs from now? I am worried about complications, being on medication like acid reflux of something to open my value. I am worried about not being able to eat bread and Pasta. Like I said I understand for weight loss but forever? I dont think it realistic? My whole family doesnt support me so its easy to get they why I shouldnt do its..

This surgery is a bit drastic to lose 35 lbs. Have you tried HCG. You can lose 25 to 30 lbs in 4 weeks.

I agree. To have WLS for 35 pounds does seem drastic. I cant believe the Dr. would even do the surgery. I would question his motives. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I would have to concur with everyone else that has responded. To be honest with you if you extend the pre-op diet just a bit you will probably lose most.of the weight you need to get off. I vote to talk with your doctor and reconsider.

I have met people on both sides of the coin, yes, to many of us who have 100+ lbs. to lose, getting the surgery for 'only' 35 lbs may seem drastic, but I can understand the thought of not wanting to struggle all your life. I have met people (mainly self pay) who get the surgery to 'maintain' their figure/weight as they are older. I think everyone comes to the decision to have WLS of any kind for their own reasons. I was criticized by my family for having WLS because aside from being morbidly obese, I have no co-morbidities, I have low blood pressure, good cholesterol levels, and work out daily, I was 'healthy' (technically) before WLS aside from the weight. I think that akm0036, to answer your questions, yes, getting the sleeve, or any kind of WLS is drastic, it is not just for a year or two, it is for the rest of your life. That being said, I also struggled on the pre-op diet, I think everyone did. Yes, you feel like you are starving, and I understand feeling tired and weak. Once the surgery is done, your Ghrelin is gone, so (at elast for me so far) I have not felt hunger after the surgery, and it then becomes a chore just to get in your 64 oz of Water each day. Also, you said you have babies to care for, my surgeon advised me not to lift more than 25 lbs after my surgery, that may be an issue you will also struggle with immediately after, once I am cleared, I can lift items again. The truth about your other questions, is not that you CAN NEVER eat those things again, your stomach will not explode ;) but ideally, you SHOULD not eat those things again, with wine and alchohol, my understanding is that with such a small stomach, the alcohol empties quickly into your small intestine, which causes you to absorb it much faster, and hence get drunk faster, and then not stay drunk as long, with eating hot dogs and pizza, these are both carb laden items, and since your stomach will be so small, you are encouraged to eat high quality foods so you do not develop nutritional deficiencies, but I have read of many people on here and elsewhere that splurge once in a while on 'bad' foods, the Obesity Police aren't going to come and arrest you if you splurge once in awhile down the road ;) As far as eating and drinking at the same time, again, your stomach is so small, you will need to fill it with quality food when you do eat, if you eat and drink at the same time, a couple things could happen, you could cause the food to 'slide' through, and then you will end up consuming more than necessary, or you could end up filling your stomach with liquid instead of quality protien and nutrients, which could cause you not to consume enough. Yes, it is true, some people have issues with acid reflux, and the such, as with any surgery there are risks. I feel like my best advice to you would be to do more research if you are feeling unsure. Bottom line, there are risks, and you will have to change your lifestyle. If you are ready for it, I say do it, don't let anyone tell you that 35 lbs isn't enough, that decision is between you and yourself, but please do be prepared though to know that the sleeve is not a 'magic pill' so to speak, you would be able to gain weight back if you do not utilize it properly down the road. I encourage you to read some of the forums as well about people that have gone backwards on their journeys, how they got there, and why. I think if you do more research it will affirm your decision either way. Whatever you decide, good luck, and I hope you feel better soon. I know on pre-op I felt like I wanted to chew someones arm off, and I was cranky and mean, lol. I don't wish that one anyone ;)

Going to have to agree with the other posters, a sleeve for such a small amount of weight to lose is not a good idea. Honestly, any doctor that would sleeve you at this point is sketchy in my book. Your weight is not out of control and you can get back to 135 with some serious buckling down. Please try that first.

I had the surgery with 70lbs to lose which is considered low weight in the surgery world. I had no risk factors, it was cosmetic basically, and to ward off a family history of being overweight (but in all other ways healthy...we live to be 100 easy in my family, even very overweight). I had a six year old at the time.

I had internal bleeding during the surgery which caused spasm's. I had to have two blood transfusions to stop the convulsions which lasted 24 plus hours. Horribly painful...think of a charlie horse all over your body. I developed a fever which was attributed to the blood but was in fact a leak. I was in hospital 22 days, and bedridden for 45 plus. Then after than I had to go through all of the weight restrictions...no lifting for about four months total from the original surgery. My son needs me and I couldn't be here with him. I regret that I had this surgery to lose the weight I gained during fertility treatments (unsuccessful) and pregnancies that didn't make it.

Had one of the horrific procedures they did to save my life been done to me prior to surgery I'd have buckled down and joined a gym. Had I known I would be so sick, I'd have joined a gym. Had I a clue how risky this surgery is, I'd have NEVER had it while my child was small. Never!

So, given you don't sound ready for it. You have a low amount to lose, and you have small children at home...my advice would be to not have it now. Give yourself another chance at something less drastic.

But understand that surgery or not, you aren't going to be able to eat large amounts of Pasta, hot dogs, beer etc, without weight issues. That said, I can eat Pasta. I collect wine, it's still a part of my life and always will be, but I don't drink as much as I used to. I don't get drunk easier...I don't see any difference there actually from pre and post surgery, but I can't consume as much, which is fine. I drink wine with meals on occasion, not huge gulps :) but sips especially if the food is dryer. I don't drink beer but I do love champagne and after six months I can have that again on occasion as well. I'm not deprived, but I'm also not wanting to eat simple carbs. I'd rather have a steak cooked at the camp fire than a hot dog :) but if I want one I can have one...just not daily (they're gross anyhoo unless they have been burnt on a stick).

If you decide to pursue this later in life, that's great, but you sound like you aren't ready, and really, don't need it right now.

I think you should think about it more. Not because of 35 pounds, but because of your life situation over the last 5 years. You have been through a lot of things that can and have an affect on your weight. I would certainly try to get your weight under control on your own first now that you are passed all these things that affected your weight. You are right, this is a LIFETIME change and commitment. There is no going back once it's done.

I have similar stats to you. I am 5'2" and 183. I have been overweight for about 20 years and have gotten as high as 205 this summer. I am busting my butt to lose as much as I can prior go surgery. I have only gotten to a "normal" bmi range twice in my adult life and was only able to stay there for a few months. I am in my 40s and my weight battle isn't getting any easier. Still, this has not been an easy decision for me, but I do feel that I am mentally ready for the changes that I will be making in my life.

I so wish I could control this on my own. I think if I hadn't tried and failed so many times, I would be unsure of my decision as well. If I were you, I would try on my own first. Just my two cents. Good luck to you in whatever path you take!

I was 333 pounds.... I needed to lose almost 180 ... Today i already lost 65.... 43 before surgery and de rest 4 weeks post op... I lost 43 pounds in 4 mo... It was easy for me... Just reduce the portions and avoiding junk food...walking one mile every day.. But after surgery has been harder... Too much hard ... Im hungry, and i cant eat as i want.. Not junk food just a green salad or drink my cup of coffee as I used to do... Some times i regret to have this surgery... Why i didnt continue doing the same I did to lose the first 43 pounds???? Please take some time, consider it again, this is too much than "you could lose your overweigh soon".... This is harder than only be on a diet.. I have no energy.. Since I do not eat solids since oct 13... I just started with puree food, the Vitamins make me nausea... And i feel the pills or puree stuck in my chest... But there is nothing I can do... Just move forward... I have no options, before surgery I had... Not now, there is no reverse for this... Please reconsider it.

My Dr approved the surgery because 50 lbs is the amount I need to lose but I feel weighing 120 is unrealistic. I am overwhelmed with the amount of love and support to a stranger. A few of these stories brought tears to my eyes. I really appreciate telling me it is ok, whatever I decide. and giving me the pro and cons. 35 lbs seems like a huge task but I think after reading the post I am going to allow myself time. It is so hard when you hate being this weight and have struggled. Long or a short time. But I have not tried other ways of losing the pounds. I was romanced by the idea of losing all my weight and keeping it off. By eating a cup of Pasta and being full. It wasnt until recently I truely understood the extreme of this. and how I may not be ready for even the simplest lifestyle changes.

I do have little ones and I have been unable to do a lot of things with them because of fertility treatments already. It teared me up to think about missing out again. I know I can always come back to WLS in the future. It is extremely overwhelming to try and lose this weight and the thought of how hungry Ill be and the struggle is tough but I feel like I must give this a shot first. Thank you all. Seriously, it made me feel like I was getting advice from friends. I really appreciate the support. I just hope I can get my money back!

Good luck to all of us.

I am pretty much the same stats as you. I am 5'3 and I weigh 178 pounds. I would like to get down to about 120-125. I have battled my weight my whole life and have done every diet under the moon including giving myself shots of Hcg. I will lose 10 pounds for a little while and gain it all back.

I am getting this surgery even with only little to lose because I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure and signs of pre diabetes. The only time I have ever been a healthy weight it was because of other factors like Phen-Phen and when I got really sick and needed my gall bladder removed because it was mush and infected.

I think you should get the surgery if you want but get your ducks in a row beforehand so you are really mentally prepared. I have been researching and planning this for 2 years. I am ready little to lose or not.

Just a quick thought....how far out of fertility treatments are you? You can't be doing those (and can't get pregnant) while doing this surgery. I wouldn't even attempt to do this surgery while in treatment for fertility. I KNOW the hell that puts your body through and it would be a real issue while in the early stages of this surgery. Then you can't get pregnant safely for at least a year, so I'd get all of that behind me prior to even considering this surgery dear. And I will tell you, it took my body about a year to level out after three of fertility treatments. I was doing some pretty aggressive treatment and don't know what you are doing or were, but it's worth waiting for your body to refind normal before going into another drastic (and fertility treatments can be drastic) procedure.

Iggychic, I did my last ivf (3.5 and 1 FET total) last nov. We are done having babies.

Iggychic' date=' I did my last ivf (3.5 and 1 FET total) last nov. We are done having babies.[/quote']

Ok :) just wanted to be sure.

I am of the opinion that people with a BMI of 30 shouldn't get WLS, but that is my bias, not always shared by everyone.

More importantly, you don't sound ready. I think the people who are ready really know that they have tried EVERYTHING else. There is no second thoughts 'wish I had done X" because we have already tried X a couple of times and always regained.

BTW, my BMI is about what yours is.... and I consider myself a WLS success.