Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcp Scared The Crap Outta Me

i just went to see my PCP and ask for a full panal to get on top of me post op care and she sat there and tried to talk me out of it for an hour. She would come back to it 4 times.

she is like my hands are tied of anyhitng goes wrong and you have complications.

I said great I will just die then. those are my options. Die a slow fat deathor die a little sooner maybe thinner..

Jesus.

you go girl! Stay Strong! everybody and their momma tried to talk me out of it! When we are overweight, they have something to say but when we want to become healthier, THEN its a bad idea. what the crap!!

Thank you so much!

I mean i don;t have enough anxiety as it is. She could have at least supported me a bit. Maybe I should have never brought it up.

I work In the medical field. Honestly some people are for it and others are just against it. This includes medical professionals. People all have their opinions, but you educated yourself and you apparently already know what you want. I'm glad you stood your ground. Keep your head up.

Don't be surprised if you need to find a new PCP following your surgery. I've heard of alot of PCPs not wanting to treat patients that have had WLS because they are afraid of malpractice if they prescribe something you're not allowed to have. Alot of Dr's just aren't educated in it if it's not in their field. Good luck though!

Is there such a thing as a PCP that specializes in bariatrics?

I was the same way. Some people had negative things to say before my surgery but I told my family that if something happened to me during the surgery to know that I died happy because I was finally getting the surgery I have wanted to help me for a long time. You can't let the negativity get you down if you have your mind made up. Good luck.

I didn't go to my PCP on purpose prior to surgery for that exact reason. Then, my mother told him after the fact (doc is a family friend and whole family see's him) anyway, he told her that he would not have talked me out of it, that he was supportive of wls patients and that he only cautioned them on keeping it off once they lost it because he see's a lot of regain. I appreciate that.

A lot of PCPs are really afraid of malpractice suits. When you have a major surgery (especially an elective surgery) there are always risks of complications. Your PCP may be afraid to treat any complications because a wrong move on their part could lead to a lawsuit. This kind of fear is especially prevalent with WLS because many PCPs don't really have much education on them, particularly if they've been a doctor for more than a few years.

Sarah,

Call other PCPs to see if they will see WLS patients. I found mine through my ex-bf who had had surgery. He see lots of WLS patients although I'm his first sleever so he has lots of questions. I've been going to him for 5 years. The last 2 years I've had to pay cash Worth every penny for the time and positive energy he provides. He's younger than me and I told him I plan to grow old with him. As a patient of course!

i just went to see my PCP and ask for a full panal to get on top of me post op care and she sat there and tried to talk me out of it for an hour. She would come back to it 4 times.

she is like my hands are tied of anyhitng goes wrong and you have complications.

I said great I will just die then. those are my options. Die a slow fat deathor die a little sooner maybe thinner..

Jesus.

I work in the medical field, and there are hundreds of primary care, internal mediicine, and family medicine PCPs in the area. It's your health and your PCP should support it. If not, put yourself first and find someone who will.

BTW, my surgeon did the bloodwork the day before surgery as part of the pre-op and gave me a copy to give to my PCP. My PCP just aasked me to have more done (through him) in 6 months as follow-up labwork. Does your surgeon require you to have pre-op labwork ahead of time?

P.s. He also gave me a humongous xray of my lungs and pics of my tiny tummy. Dr said he didn't have room to store something that big LOL but he did like my tummy pics. :D

My PCP is so middle of the fence on EVERYTHING. I've asked him over the years about supplements, natural cures, homeopathy and he always said, "I didn't go to that school" or "that's not approved by the FDA". He has always harped on me about my weight so when I went to talk to him about my decision for WLS and to see if he would do my follow up care I thought he would be thrilled. Nope, more middle of the fence...said he didn't support or discourage WLS in his patients, but that he would do my follow up care. I love paying hard earned cash for such mediocre care and advice...(sigh)....If he would have thrown out any negativity like your PCP I would have walked out and looked up another doc that day.

I feel so blessed, my Doc was the one who recommended me getting surgery. I assume a pcp is your doctor.

I just told my PCP Monday and I literally cried when she said she would support me. She ran a crap load of blood work and gave me per-op diet tips to shrink my liver. I had already decided that I was going to go to another Dr if she was not going to support me. My plan was to call the bariatric group in town and ask what doctor frequently send them patients.

I will tell you she was a little taken bake with how inexpensive the surgery was in Mexico by had not problem with it.

Sent from my iPad using VST

you go girl! Stay Strong! everybody and their momma tried to talk me out of it! When we are overweight' date=' they have something to say but when we want to become healthier, THEN its a bad idea. what the crap!![/quote']

So freakin true....I don't care though cause im still going through with it on the 27 of Nov