Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Exbandsters Who Have Had Positive Weight Loss

Hey yall!!!

My question is for you ladies and men who had your bands 4 years or more how was your weight loss after your revision. I've had my band for almost 4 years now(REVISON COMING NOV 26th) I stopped getting fills because I was getting stuck and slimmin I havent had a fill in about a year and have gain 18 pounds but I am maintaining because Im not really eating because I still get stuck etc. However, I was not at goal I was 274 with the band got down to 223 but no more weight loss and thats with working out. I dont work out anymore and I am at 239 Im 5'8 with a BMI of 36.3 I dont know Im just not sure of what to expect and just wanted of idea of how well you all did? Im shooting for 170 to 180 wanted to know if thats realistic or not.

Thanks in advance

B.

Hi your story sounds very similar to mine. I had my band for 5 years and lost about 60% of my weight. I was able to maintain this loss give or take 10 pounds but as you know was not able to eat many healthy foods so I ate crap most of the time. So I had my revision September 10th and I must say that it is the best decision that I could have made. I am 8 weeks today, with a loss of 41 pounds; 9 of those pre-op. I am so happy, can swallow Vitamins, eat chicken, yogurt and scrambled eggs. None of which I could do with the band. My goal weight is 180 pounds and I am 5'10". Don't worry you too have made the right decision, thinking of you on surgery day!!

I was banded in 2003 and sleeved in Dec. 2011 I lost about 70 pounds with the band in 2-3 years but had all kinds of problems with the band. I had the tube replaced, the port replaced then the whole system replaced only to have an erosion. Ive had the sleeve less than a year and have lost almost 90 pounds, Im less than 5 pounds from my goal weight. The sleeve to me was worth every dime!! You wont be disappointed.

i was banded in 2008 and lost 100% of my goal weight.... then my band slipped and i got down to a very skeletal weight before having the revision.

i didn't know if is should have the revision because i don't need to lose any weight BUT i need help maintaining.

i'm 2 weeks post-op and i don't follow the "normal" post-op diet because i can't really afford to lose a lot of weight so i eat as many calories as i can.

hopefully i made the right choice!

Hi your story sounds very similar to mine. I had my band for 5 years and lost about 60% of my weight. I was able to maintain this loss give or take 10 pounds but as you know was not able to eat many healthy foods so I ate crap most of the time. So I had my revision September 10th and I must say that it is the best decision that I could have made. I am 8 weeks today, with a loss of 41 pounds; 9 of those pre-op. I am so happy, can swallow Vitamins, eat chicken, yogurt and scrambled eggs. None of which I could do with the band. My goal weight is 180 pounds and I am 5'10". Don't worry you too have made the right decision, thinking of you on surgery day!!

Thank you so much Amazon your story was very helpful. Im looking to eating fruit, vegetables, meat...lol..without going stone faced and people looking at me like im crazy. I just thought that since our bodies were used to the band that we would see little to no weight loss especially having it for a long period of time like that. However by hearing your story it gives me hope and that I can actually achieve my goal with this surgery. I cant say thank you enough and when I do have surgery I will be sure to send you a message.

Thanks again :)

I was banded in 2003 and sleeved in Dec. 2011 I lost about 70 pounds with the band in 2-3 years but had all kinds of problems with the band. I had the tube replaced, the port replaced then the whole system replaced only to have an erosion. Ive had the sleeve less than a year and have lost almost 90 pounds, Im less than 5 pounds from my goal weight. The sleeve to me was worth every dime!! You wont be disappointed.

Mr. DonnieJ you are working your sleeve sir!!! Wow I cant believe you had your band that long and then 3 years only 70 pounds? I saw your post before about all the issues you had Im so happy that you have found success and are doing AWESOME!! I can only pray to be as sucessful as you guys. Im good about diet and love to work out so hopefully after this surgery and a good routine I will be able to be 175 I weighed that in 6th grade..lol...Thank you for sharing with me I appreciate all the information.

Thank you, B.

i was banded in 2008 and lost 100% of my goal weight.... then my band slipped and i got down to a very skeletal weight before having the revision.

i didn't know if is should have the revision because i don't need to lose any weight BUT i need help maintaining.

i'm 2 weeks post-op and i don't follow the "normal" post-op diet because i can't really afford to lose a lot of weight so i eat as many calories as i can.

hopefully i made the right choice!

Well you are doing it big then Kalipso! I dont blame you about getting the surgery if you know you need it and if you are eating to maintain then I think you went with the right surgery. Im glad you got that horrible band out too. So many people have so many issues with that thing I dont even know why they still have it as an option. However good luck in maintaining your weight and being healthy.

B.

Banded March 2001, weighed 272

Got down to about 200-205 range in a year. Never lost another pound, started having issues... including regain

Lots of reflux etc so had to have Fluid out in 2003/2004 timeframe, lots of regain over the years. Highest weight was 332 in 2005 which was horrible.

Revised Dec 2011, weighed 308 at start of preop diet, 300# on day of surgery.

11 months later, I weighed in at 186 this morning. My goal is to get to 158 and I think I can do it this time!

The sleeve is just better, but you do need to learn from your mistakes and take the behavior changes/rules seriously!

Everybody go to you tube n watch this lady videos .....Sunkiss718 ......they r great she had da band n went to sleeve n she look great......she will really help everyone out ......

I was banded April 2008 and did pretty well as long as my band was tight. I either had too much restriction or not enough. There was really never a happy medium. I spent a lot of my time spitting up what I ate. liquids were even hard to get down most days. I was chronically dehydrated, in my opinion. I lost weight, but I don't feel I was healthy. I didn't eat enough veggies and fruits. I lost around 90 pounds in about 3 years. I was so desperate to lose weight and since I appeared to be having "success", I didn't fix the problem. Over the last several months I have lost pretty much all restriction and have gained weight. I'm thinking I probably have a leak. I have also had some shooting pains in my port area very recently. I've been trying to do it by myself the last several months which is completely asinine because if I could have done it myself, I wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place. How many times over the countless years have I gained and lost the same 80 pounds "on my own"? Too many to count. I'm completely disgusted, mostly with myself, and ashamed. I haven't gained all the weight back, but I can't believe I'm here again. I swore I would never be here again.

I've just begun to look into the sleeve. I also swore I would never have a WLS that involved cutting. What if I need that part of my stomach someday? The band seemed so "safe" and completely reversible. But what's the point if I was constantly sick? All of these thoughts bounce around and around in my head. I'm glad to read all of your stories and experiences. I need to learn more about the revision and how it works exactly. I'm going to at least set up a consultation with a surgeon. I'm going to someone else as I didn't care for my band surgeon or his staff. Regardless of whether I have a revision, I know I need to get checked out. I welcome any feedback and/or input. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

My name is Ellon. I had my band placed 8/25/2010 and did really well until it prolapsed in June. I went from 233 pounds pre lap band to a low of 160, while I was going through the diagnostics to figure out what was wrong. Once we knew, I had all of the Fluid removed and waited to see Dr. Paul Wizman in Wellington, FL. Dr. Wizman confirmed the need to remove the band and prepared me mentally that insurance would likely only approve replacing the band. I wanted a sleeve (from day one that's what I wanted but insurance would not cover it in 2010). Gwen, his coordinator, worked her magic, and BCBS approved the sleeve without delay. While I waited for surgery, I put 26 pounds back on and felt miserable. Surgery was 10/22 and as of this past Sunday, I am already down 15 pounds. I'm excited about my new lease on life. My only concern at this point is left shoulder pain that feels like nerve pain. At times I also feel nerve like pain in my left middle quadrant simultaneously. I'm learning that in an adult the whole diaphragm is innervated by the pair of phrenic nerves (C3, C4, and C5). From embryo to adult, "the growing diaphragm drags the phrenic nerves down from the cervical region to the thoracic region. Irritation to the diaphragm frequently presents as neck and shoulder pain due to facilitation in the cervical cord induced by the phrenic nerves." (my source of information is from cranialintelligence.com/2010/03/23/embryology-of-the-diaphragm) and from a neurosurgeon that I work with. If any of you out there are dealing with this but did not know why, I hope this helps.

It sounds realistic to me. Here is my brief history

3/2011 - banded at 272

Lost down to about 202-205 over a one year period before having complications which eventually led to complete Fluid removal, and of course regain

By 2005 weighed 332, then lost 85# on weight watchers. Many years of yoyoing around in the 250-280 range.

Dec 2011 - start of 2 week preop diet 308#

12/12/11 - surgery day 300#

TODAY - 185#!!!!!!

My goal is 158 (total loss of 150 pounds from the 308 start) and I am quite sure I will get there although it will likely take me the first half of 2013 to get there as the weight loss slows way down...

glad to hear everyone is ok and getting they sexy back. im so happy for all u im 4 months and 4 days out and lost between 68 and 70 pounds. i say that cuz the scale been playing with me when i get on. but i go see my surgeon on the 28th hopefully im the weight he wants me to be is there any advise any of u can get me to lose weight a little quciker... other then excerise and eatin right lol. i feel bad cuz already this morning i drunk a 32oz gatorade and a couple oz of Water they isnt right..