Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soon To Be Sleevers With Big Dogs

Ok this may be a strange question but I need any suggestions! I have a big playful boxer, he's a little over two years old. He seems to think I am personal laying posting. If I'm sitting on the couch he's beside me, if I try to lay down on the couch he thinks he has to lay on top of me. Sitting in the recliner chair.. you got it he's trying to climb up on me. I really need to break him from doing this before I get my surgery but I am having no luck!! He doesn't seem to understand that he can't be by me all the time. Boxer's are known for trying to be lap dogs..lol.

He also jumps.. A LOT! Having issues with this.. need to break so he doesn't jump on me after I have surgery!

There is only one thing that seems to keep him away from me and that's if I'm carrying the broom! If I have the broom he won't come near me..but I don't want to give up petting and loving him while me wounds heal, but I don't want him jumping, sitting, or laying on my stomach either!

Any suggested??

Buy his favorite treats, and start training him by saying no when he tries to jump or lay on you. This is something to ask your doctor and your dogs vet.

I have a pomchi who likes to sleep on top of the pillow over my moms head and when she hears anything or someone knocks she jumps on top of her on pull speed to jump off the bed. When my mom had surgery on her shoulder/arm she laid next to my mom and sniffed and licked the wound. She knew something was wrong so she was very low key. Of course now that my mom is all better she's back to normal lol. Good Luck!

yes...i have a 160 pound Great Dane who was only 1 1/2 when i had my surgery and he just knew! He was so soft and gentle and calm for the first couple weeks. I was very worried about his tail hitting my incisions or knocking me over or sitting on my lap....but he didnt, stayed on the floor...always right by me! They know!

I have a large, strong pitbull. She isn't a jumper but I was worried she would hurt me on our walks post-op. she likes to pull and I had to be careful to keep her on a short leash while walking. I also went out of my way to avoid squirrels and other dogs, just to be safe.

I have two Great Danes and didn't have a problem. Danes love their humans and mine are just like your boxer. They did know that I wasn't feeling well and were very gentle with me. I would start now with training though. Even if you have to push him off the couch 100 times and tell him "off" or "no" he will eventually get it. Praise and give him a treat when he stays off the couch. My dogs are only allowed on the couch when they are invited. Fortunately my dogs don't jump, but with some of my other dogs usually a forceful push and a "down" or a "no" did the trick. This was not to hurt the dog, but to have them understand to I meant business. My dogs caught on pretty quick. Always be calm, firm, and consistent in your training. Don't give up. He will eventually get it. Good luck on your surgery.

Is he crate trained? If your efforts to fix his jumping and crowding behaviors don't go so well, or you run out of time, you could always let him spend time in a crate or in his own "room" for a couple of weeks during the times when you just wanted to relax and concentrate on your healing. My rottie loved to spend time in his crate, and once he was older and could be trusted we took down the crate and the room it was in became his. All we had to do was tell him to "go to his room" and he would go in and lay down. Give him a good chew bone and shut the door and he was perfectly content and safe for a few hours.

I have a bulldog who always stays next to me and is a huge jumper. She will be staying at doggy camp for a few days so that I can have a break from her and I don't have to worry about walking her and feeding etc. also in case of any problems she will be in good hands.

I have 3 dogs, and I agree- they know. I've had 3 knee surgeries in the last 3 years. They were angels.

You may consider boarding him for a week or so post op or doggie day care. My two young boxers go to camp Bow Wow. I sent them a few more times a week for the month post op to wear them out. It worked really well. My surgeon said the #1 cause of wound infection is dogs in the bed and on furniture...a big no no for 6 weeks.

I boarded my Boxer and Yorkie for a week. But when my husband brought them home, neither one tried to get playful with me. My boxer never tried to jump on me either.

A friend took my crazy Bichon for a few days so I could focus on me!! He loves to go to Uncle Chris's house as he has a crazy Beagle and they love each other!it is great to have such a good friend!!

That's an easy one...just keep your broom with you AT ALL TIMES! No, seriously, have a 1 yr old rambunctious pup and an 11 yr old gentle giant. Not worried about my old boy, but my young Tasmanian devil is a nightmare! I agree that they know when mom is in pain and will likely be your best caretaker! I had a pitt that passed in Jan and she was always the first to tend to me if I was in pain after a procedure or was just down with a cold. I would never be able to board them though. They both are rescues and have SERIOUS separation anxiety.

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice!! My biggest fear is him jumping on and ripping my incisions open! We are having an awful time training him not to jump! He was actually my brothers dog, and he had him for about a year and my sister-n-law became pregnant and Cooper liked to jump and they was scared that he would hurt her or the baby, so they decided they couldn't keep him anymore. They already had one little boy who was attached so I decided to take the big ol' pup. Happy I did too!! Love him to death! But his jumping is crazy! I may just carry the broom around with me..haha. My aunt (whose my next door neighbor) does have a good size pole barn with heat, so we may look into him staying in that room for a while.

I could never send him some place to stay though, like a doggie daycare or boarding. I have a REALLY bad experience and don't trust my dogs around other dogs to well. Here's my boy!! lol

225.jpg

He is so handsome, I also have boxers 2-males 8 months and they are going to doggy camp for a week and if i still feel weak then my friend will take them for another week so I love them but this is my time and I need to make everything perfect, I already told my kids they better behave or off to grandma, you have to take it easy and get rest,