Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Still Look Forward To Food Or Enjoy It?

I don't really enjoy food anymore. But I now enjoy playing ball with the kids, fitting in booths, riding rides and amusement parks, flying, seeing my feet, not being out of breath at the drop of a hat, shopping, being with my friends, foul functions. Etc etc I could go on and on. I will happily give that one enjoyment away to gain all the others!! Good luck!

Pre-op I had the same question. I am 9 weeks post op now. When everyone says your relationship with food changes, they are right. But i promise you it is not a scary thing.

I have what i can only speculate to be a "normal" relationship with food. I no longer obsess about what my next meal will be. And i can be out shopping and not even think about turning into McDonalds, Burger King, etc. like i used to every time i was out.

I am enjoying things I haven't in a long time. Like walking without being out of breath right away. Last night i played racquet ball with my husband and loved every minute of it!

Including a 10 day pre-op diet. I am down 74 pounds.

Your relationship with food will (or at least should) change. I was sleeved 8/20 and I had to put myself on a schedule to eat, otherwise I would forget. I never thought I'd be one of those people. Yes, good food still tastes good. But bad food may not agree with you at all anymore. If I have a couple of chips or part of a flour tortilla, my stomach starts making whale songs. Plus, they really don't taste that good. But other than starches (tortillas, rice, french fries, etc.) I can eat anything I want. I'm just eating a very small amount of it.

I think one of the key phrases in your post was "The idea that I can't eat a normal meal is frightening to me for some reason." You'll need to retrain your brain on what a normal meal is. Because, quit frankly, what most of us were eating pre-sleeve were not normal meals at all. Eating high fat, high carb, high calorie meals shouldn't be considered normal. Do I sometimes miss Popeye's spicy chicken and red Beans and rice? Heck yeah! But their naked tenders are pretty tasty too. And I can eat one and a half of them and be satisfied.

Like someone said upthread, consider getting some counseling or going to a support group now to prepare yourself. I had the six month approval process for my insurance so it gave me plenty of time to make sure this was really what I wanted. And I'm very happy with the decision. Hang in there!

All I can say is, for me food is fuel, not entertainment or enjoyment. I don't hate food, but I have other things I do for fun and excitement. Food just allows me to do those things. I ran 2-1/2 miles the other night without stopping. 5 months ago I couldn't run around the driveway. That is way more fun than any meal I ever had.

As for caffeine, sure you can go back to it but why would you want to? Once you break your addiction, why start a new one?

3 weeks out and have to say no I don't enjoy food any more. Some of my favorite foods I can't even tolerate or I just dislike there tast. On a food note I'm no longer lactose intolerant after surgery I like cheese and milk now lol.

All I can say is, for me food is fuel, not entertainment or enjoyment. I don't hate food, but I have other things I do for fun and excitement. Food just allows me to do those things. I ran 2-1/2 miles the other night without stopping. 5 months ago I couldn't run around the driveway. That is way more fun than any meal I ever had.

As for caffeine, sure you can go back to it but why would you want to? Once you break your addiction, why start a new one?

I understand the whole "I don't use food for entertainment anymore" concept. I guess my issue is fear of never wanting or enjoying food again. Even super skinny people enjoy the occasional burger or pizza and enjoy going out and looking forward to a tasty meal now and then. Also, as far as caffeine goes, I have no issue with being addicted to it. I love coffee and tea and after my sleeve is healed I'm hoping I will be able to take great pleasure in those vices once again.

I think it's absolutely amazing that you can run 2 1/2 miles and that you enjoy life more now. Hopefully soon I'll be in the same boat : )

I'm still newly sleeved but I've been on soft foods for several days now but I have found myself less obsessed with food. My mind is freed up from thinking about food constantly or that next meal. I can go hours without eating and not feel like my blood sugar is plummeting like it used to before I was sleeved. Once I eat and become full I no longer have the urge to take another bite. I've also become used to the idea of not finishing everything on my plate, my dog has been eating a ton of my left overs lol.

I'm still newly sleeved but I've been on soft foods for several days now but I have found myself less obsessed with food. My mind is freed up from thinking about food constantly or that next meal. I can go hours without eating and not feel like my blood sugar is plummeting like it used to before I was sleeved. Once I eat and become full I no longer have the urge to take another bite. I've also become used to the idea of not finishing everything on my plate, my dog has been eating a ton of my left overs lol.

Do you still enjoy food or look forward to it though?

food tastes good to me however I am glad that it has become fuel instead of a crutch! Now I can enjoy so many other things in life beside being obsessed about food/dieting/failure. You will love the sleeve side of life!

Yup, I do :) food is delicious but once I'm satisfied/full I have zero desire to eat more. If I eat too much my sleeve tends to cramp and I find myself moaning and it's uncomfortable. I've learned to stop eating before I become full but I still really enjoy food and I haven't had any issues with anything, except for grapes.

I do not look forward to or enjoy food any longer. What I do enjoy is participating in physical activities that I could not do 4 months ago. Oh and I enjoy shopping. Lol. I also am on an eating schedule to remind myself to eat. My world doesn't revolve around food anymore. I'm enjoying this new life a lot

Wolfgirl made the statement to remember " my world doesn't revolve around food anymore". Preop, I didn't make a move without thinking what/when/where I was going to eat. Those days are over, hopefully forever! I went to dinner with a gf, ordered fish, ate my small portion and enjoyed our conversation like a normal person! Lol

I enjoy food but don't really think about it. I went to lunch with some of my best girlfriends and had a hot turkey sandwich. It was wonderful. I ate a little turkey a bite of mashed potatoes and was satisfied. Every meal is like a feast because you eat so little that what you do eat is so good.

Why can't you have caffeine? I've had tea from day 1. Your relationship with food is going to change. You won't be able to over eat or seek comfort from it. To be honest that's what got us in this mess in the first place. It is absolutely fine post op. you can have bits of whatever but an all you can eat Buffett will be a waste of time.

I do not look forward to or enjoy food any longer. What I do enjoy is participating in physical activities that I could not do 4 months ago. Oh and I enjoy shopping. Lol. I also am on an eating schedule to remind myself to eat. My world doesn't revolve around food anymore. I'm enjoying this new life a lot

Perfectly stated. I wish I could like this post more than once.