Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Still Look Forward To Food Or Enjoy It?

I'm scheduled to have my VSG on Nov 9th in Tijuana and I'm fearful that I wont enjoy food anymore or look forward to having meals. This was and is such a big part of my life and our culture, I can't imagine not even wanting food...

Also, will I be able to drink caffeine eventually?

Hi Bryan - It's wierd for me - I look forward to food - but then when I start eating it and don't feel good after a few bites there is a let down. I'm getting used to it - but there is a grieving process for sure. You will learn what you can and can't eat - and how much you can eat. Tasting food doesn't change, meaning you can taste anything and have one bit, but you can't overeat like you used to. At least I can't. But food is finding a totally different place in my life. I'm moving so much more - and I have so much more energy that I'm able to get out and do things instead of eat. As for caffein, I have it very, very sparingly. Bryan - this is worth it! Seriously - I have no regrets at all!!!!

I'm a year out from surgery now, and I really enjoy food now. You have a different relationship with it after the surgery. You don't get very much, so it better be something that you really want!! You get a little pickier about what you want, and is it worth it. I don't eat french fries now, because they make me queasy, but I don't need them :) You will be able to eat pretty much whatever you want eventually, but develop the good habits right post op so that you can stick with them. I drink caffeine now, it doesn't give me any problems. It's hard on your sleeve in the beginning, but I am doing ok with it now. I know it seems like a death sentence for food now, but I can honestly say that it gets better!!

I don't look forward to it or enjoy it. :( I'm sure that will change at some point.

Thanks... Im hoping it's a positive move in the right direction. It's kind of silly that I'm such an obsessive fatass that my biggest concern is being able to enjoy or look forward to various foods down the road.

The idea that I can't eat a normal meal is frightening to me for some reason.

I don't look forward to it or enjoy it. :( I'm sure that will change at some point.

When did you have it done? Does it bother you that you don't look forward to it or enjoy it? Do you have other vices in place of the food? Do you look forward to tea or coffee?

I am 19 days post op and I hate to say it, but no, I am not enjoying food right now. I know it will get better, but for now its a pain. Next week, I start soft foods. Truthfully, I am kinda scared to eat. I am all soup-ed out, my fridge and pantry is full of Soup that I have made from scratch and Ive had one or two bites and I am over it. I am just tired of soup, as well as Jello. I still enjoy yogurt, V8, and pops, but I sincerely dont have a desire to eat anything... Today, I had two protien shakes and a half of a cup of Tomato Soup, plus my Water, that was it.

I had my surgery on 9/11. Before surgery I had many vices. I smoked - which I quit a couple months before surgery and I ate - a lot. Fast food, etc.

For me, when I decided to have surgery, I was deciding to give up everything like that. It was hard for me to get used to the idea, before surgery. food was my life, really. I looked forward to every meal. What was I going to do with my time? But - I have two kids and a husband and I'm 29 and I need to get my act together before I have health problems.

My vice? Caffeine-free Diet Arizona Green Tea? It's the only sugar-free/caffeine/carbonation-free drink I really enjoy. But it's not a vice - I have a couple of glasses a day and i enjoy it more than any of the food I eat.

Personally I have not experienced a lot of head-hunger since surgery - I've really not had to battle cravings. Soemtimes I think, "Man, I want a hot dog," and the thought passes as quickly as it came.

There are certain times that are a bit irritating. On Saturdays, DH and i would normally go out to eat with the kids. Can't really do that anymore. We went to Panda Express once and I sat and stared at he and the kids eat. Fun!

But no, I haven't replaced eating with any other negative vices - except for the gambling....

(kidding)

I am 19 days post op and I hate to say it, but no, I am not enjoying food right now. I know it will get better, but for now its a pain. Next week, I start soft foods. Truthfully, I am kinda scared to eat. I am all soup-ed out, my fridge and pantry is full of Soup that I have made from scratch and Ive had one or two bites and I am over it. I am just tired of soup, as well as Jello. I still enjoy yogurt, V8, and pops, but I sincerely dont have a desire to eat anything... Today, I had two protien shakes and a half of a cup of Tomato Soup, plus my Water, that was it.

Are you concerned that you may never desire food again, or do you think this is just a byproduct of a healing stomach?

I've read some experiences from other people who talk about how they still like food and enjoy it, but it took them a bit... the idea of not even liking food bothers me.

Its like reuniting with a long lost love...

I have faith that things will change and I look foward to the future. I know I will desire food again, just smelling some of my favorite foods makes my mouth Water. Once I am able to eat normaly again, I am sure there will be triggers for me one day, but I have to remember that the food Iate and how much Iate got me to this weight, why would I want to do that to myself again? I want to eat healthy and enjoy my food without feeling guilt after. I am excited to try ways of cooking and eating, plus new foods that are healthier for me. I was never a slave to fast food or even processed food. Just a lot of down home cooking with lots of carbs, butter, and fat.

First, I am scared to hurt my pouch and have complications and secondly, I am tired of the liquid diet. This I think is why I have not desired much food. It all takes time...

MiniMo, I like your view on the matter, I might just adopt it : )

Of course everyone is different. I'm 8 mos post op. I don't think I ever lost my hunger, desire to eat or enjoyment of food. I don't eat as much but I still enjoy all the food. I wish I had lost the hunger but I guess it doesn't happen to everyone.

Bryan, i'm 2months postop and i finally said to my hubby last nite that i'm starting to enjoy food. We did a salmon meal takeout from Cheesecake factory last nite and i ate 1/4 of it. But i enjoyed every darn bite with NO guilt!! Pre-surgery I would have eaten the entire meal and wanted more and felt guilty. So...it's a diff way of looking at things.

I would recommend that you see a therapist that specializes in WLS. If you are thinking NOW that you are going to have issues then you need to start working on tools presurgery to help you. It's a long road, esp if you have insurance. Selfpay people don't have to jump thru hoops. But, I appreciated the hoops i had to go thru. It's made me have a very successful ride so far. And it IS a ride, make no mistake. You have so many ups and downs, but it's all worth it when the scale goes down and the pants are too big!

Do you have support from home & friends? Since you say food is a social thing for you, this is important. Do you have any active friends who you can do things w other than food? Your life WILL change. There is no way it can't. But, if you embrace it, it really is a GOOD change.

Judy

Opps, I see your selfpay.....sorry, it's early. Ok, forget my other comments about loops......

What support do you have?

I can obviously only speak for myself, but I enjoy food. Remembering previous diets, where if I even had a bite of something on accident, my whole day would be ruined! I would be on diets that made me miserable! Lean Protein and the blandest of fruits/veggies (I couldn't even eat stuff like corn or bananas!) Now, while I still make a conscious effor to eat the right things, it's a broad spectrum of things that I eat. Food can no longer be my enemy, if I wasn't hating it I was abusing it! Now, I enjoy food because I eat in moderation and I no longer experience guilt or anxiety about the things I eat. Some things do taste different and you might not like some things post op that you liked pre op (I can't even think about grape Powerade zero, whereas I used to drink it daily!) but overall I eat only what I enjoy, or I wouldn't eat! Haha...but in all honesty the thing I enjoy most about food is now I don't constantly think about it or crave it, which is huge for me, and that above all is better than the physical enjoyment of food, especially taste.