Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgery Date Is October 22, I Really Have Some Last Minute Questions/reservations, Please Respond!

So the last 6 months have flown by and the doctor had a last minute surgery appt available so my surgery was scheduled last week for this coming Monday. OMG, 4 Days Away! So, my husband is now stressing about the fact that I am going through with it and begging me not to. He said we should just diet together. I weigh 350 lbs. and he is 260 lbs. and a lot of muscle so I have much more to lose than him. He is making me question my decision so I keep reading blogs, websites, articles and the info that my doctors office gave me. I have so many questions that I feel like I need to call someone that has been there and experienced it. Please keep in mind that I had the nissen surgery so my surgeon has to undo that. I am a picky eater meaning I don't do any seafood and very few veggies and fruits and I never really eat because I am hungry but because I crave things, mostly sugar. I only opted for the sleeve because with the nissen I am not allowed to do the LapBand. I hope that some of you long time sleevers can help here and give me some input too!

Here are the questions that I have:

1. If the hunger hormone is removed do you truly never experience hunger ever?

2. Do you still have cravings?

3. At what point can you stop the Protein shakes and shots or is this a lifetime requirement?

4. At what point can you stop ALL the Vitamins that the doctor requires and switch to a good daily Multivitamin?

5. How long after surgery is it before most people can eat regular foods?

6. I was told that with this surgery, eventually, I could eat anything that I want within moderation. Is this true?

I want to know that someday I can eat a burger or a piece of pizza if I crave it. I don't have to finish it , but will I be able to eat these things? I am not a big soda drinker but will I be able to someday tolerate a few sips of Big Red if I want it?

I can only tell you my experience and let you take from it what you can. I too had reservations and a husband that wasn't happy about me taking this big step. I really thought about backing out and now I am very glad that I didn't. This is the only type of weightloss surgery I have had. I wasn't hungry for a long time. I did good with the Water intake but was never good at the Protein Shake thing. I quit them as soon as I could start on soft foods like cottage cheese, but I am NOT a picky eater. I was Protein deficient (not by much, not enough for the Doctor to worry or to cause health problems.) and I did lose some hair but it has come back now that I am 11 months out (started coming back at about 8 months out and I was NEVER close to bald.). When I left the hospital I was instructed to take a Multivitamin and my meds for thyroid and depression but nothing else. Then at one month I had blood work done and my doctor decided that I needed to take potassium (which wasn't a surprise because I was potassium deficient when I was fat.). That was all I had to take up until my last round of blood work for my one year appointment. I had to add D3 to my supplements but I think that is because I am not a milk drinker and I don't spend a lot of time in the sun/outside. I ride my bike or walk for an hour or two some days but I'm not a gardener or anything that would cause me to be outside a lot. I take a supplement for hair and nails by my own choice. I think these supplements are a small price to pay for having normal BMI, blood pressure & cholesterol!! :) I eat pretty much what I want at this point as I am below goal and can't seem to come up from 143 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I make sure I get my 65-80 grams of protein in a day and try to stick with Proteins. I don't eat bread for the most part but in the past year I have had 3 Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches because I just love them sometimes. I do eat pizza, just not often. I keep track of my calories and pizza adds up QUICKLY!! I have cake when I am at parties, sometimes too much and I feel sick. I do indulge when I'm at social functions but I don't socialize A LOT so it isn't like an every weekend thing. I snack on rice cakes and peanut butter. I know many people here would say they would never do that and that is fine but I'm not gaining so I eat it. I also eat PopChips which are carbs but they are healthier than regualr chips and now that I have been without chips for so long the PopChips taste better to me. I still throw down an occasional salt and vinegar chip but I don't go crazy. My tip would be not to have sugary snack readily available in your house if that is your weakness. I think it is OK to have them in moderation just don't buy them at the store and have them readily on hand. Plan to snack smart, when you get to the full food stage. 100 calorie packs of almonds are great! I also eat popcorn. I have 100 calorie packs of 94% fat free butter popcorn in my desk at work. I don't eat potatoes very much but I have had them. I find once I eat my meat/protein I don't have much room for for than a tablespoon or so of potatoes or veggies of any sort. Although I try to always make room for my broccoli! :) I have recently had Cereal and it was Fruity Pebbles. I measured (that's the key) out a cup and ate it with Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk which has 40 calories. I hate milk so this is a welcome supplement to my diet. It tastes sweet but doesn't overpower with vanilla flavor. There is also plain and chocolate versions. Gosh, I could ramble on forever. Hopefully you didn't nod off reading this and hopefully I answered some questions. If you think of anything esle you can PM me or just ask here if you like. :)

This has been the best decision for me (to have the sleeve). I had tried many, many diets just to put the weight back on. I decided early on that i really didn't need to eat all the food that I was eating. So I had the sleeve and I have done really well in my weight loss. :) There are times when I feel hunger, but mostly it's my head hunger. When I do give in, I can only eat so much and then I'm done. :) I can eat a small child like portion with no problems. I am also a picky eater and don't really care for veggies that much, but do eat them for the nutritional value, and plus, we can have a lot of veggies. Can't eat that much though. I typically get up in the morning and have a Premier chocolate Protein Shake and that's my treat. Then I might have an egg or something, for lunch I might go out and buy myself lunch which is Teriaki chicken (child's portion) and eat half. Lunch usually cost me about $3.00. and for dinner, I will eat some Protein like chicken or steak. I can basically eat what I want. If I crave pizza(because it's in my head), then I will eat a slice of pizza.

Your hubby is so afraid that something is going to happen to you and that you are going to change and maybe leave him. But you have to do this surgery for you. You will have anxious thoughts, we all did, and almost everyone on this site absolutely loves their sleeve. I love my sleeve. Oh btw, my hubby is so in love with my body and tells me that I'm much happier now. He has also made changes in his diet too.

Now you've done 6 months to prepare, if you decide to not have the sleeve, and then you change your mind, you will have to do the 6 month process over. I know several people who have done this and totally regretted not doing it. I know I didn't answer all of your questions.

1. If the hunger hormone is removed do you truly never experience hunger ever?

That is false, you can and will experience hunger, as well as have to deal with anything you ever dealt with before. You wull have a new tool – your sleeve- but you will still hav eto deal with the habits, triggers, etc.

Morbid obesity is a disease, you need to be prepared to fight it for the rest of your life.

1. Yes still have cravings, and you will have to deal with what causes those cravings – get real info and do real research. The online info is good, but often passed from person to person, much like most mainstream media today. You have to discern the reputable information.

3.people vary on when/if they give up shakes. The food process is a variable that is most constant in that it isn’t – read through here and understand you could be in any range given – make sure you are OK with that.

1. All my doctor required was a well rounded multivitamin, and extra b Vitamins – but very regular blood testing.

1. It varies and depends on what you call regular foods – do you mean go back to your old ways??? Old foods but in “moderation” – this will you make you a dead game sport…you will eventually regain, in my opinion, unless you are ready to let the old habits go – and habits include poor food choices.

1. Of course you can eat anything within moderation, if:

Your stomach tolerates it, you really, truly don’t mind going back into old habits and setting yourself up to gain it back.

Don’t take this wrong but if you are looking for a cure all, and think this will be easy it is not – it is the hardest thing you will ever do, perhaps other than go on being fat. For me it is harder than being fat, but I will continue to do it because:

I had a disease, I was fat. It perpetuated other conditions – some made it worse, some it made worse, and it spiraled. I had bad habits, I used my metabolism disorder give me more excuses, I let my aches and pains slow me down when they should not have – and it spirals more – I waited until I was ready, which is the most positive thing I did – waited until I was ready, and that took 10 years. I wish so much I had been ready before but I was not.

Be sure you are prepared, take the time to make sure you are ready on the inside, and that you can do this alone, because I have (majority-wise) observed negative spouses and family ot be a huge obstacle. I had support but it was still hard.

I do wish you luck, strength and hope…Namaste.

Thank you all for your very informative comments. Please understand that I definitely do not want to return to my old habits but I don't want to have to rely on Protein Shakes and Vitamins for the rest of my life to survive. I just needed to get some clarification to put my mind at ease before going through with the surgery.

Just would like to add taking the Vitamins for most of us will be for life. The older you get at some point you are going to have to take a pill look at it this way; if you continue to gain weight at some point it will cause high blood pressure, arthoristists (forgive spelling) mayb dietabities (then you will either take a daily pill or shots more than once a day) . You must ask yourself hmmmm which would I rather take daily vitamins and be healthy or these other choices?????? Our weight WILL and HAS caused other health problems that is a fact. Your taste buds will change, the foods you like today may not b the foods you will like after surgery. Hope you make your choice not based on emotion but facts. Good luck to u.:)))

Good luck on your procedure. I get sleeved the 22nd as well.

Good luck on your procedure. I get sleeved the 22nd as well.

Good luck to you as well!

Thank you kentucky!!!!!

Good luck with your procedure alisha.

Like many on here, I have been working toward the VSG for 6 months. I thought I was completely prepared. Only 2 days to go now (surgery date 10/23) & I'm beginning to freak out a little. My husband is my cheerleader & keeps me motivated

((Hugs)). We've got this! I can't wait to see you on the losers bench.

Like many on here, I have been working toward the VSG for 6 months. I thought I was completely prepared. Only 2 days to go now (surgery date 10/23) & I'm beginning to freak out a little. My husband is my cheerleader & keeps me motivated

((Hugs)). We've got this! I can't wait to see you on the losers bench.

Good luck to you I will keep you in my prayers!

Awake dressed now waiting to leave. Have to at hospital and checked by 6am for my sleeve. Good luck to all today who's all getting sleeved or next few days.

We will all do great today! I am scheduled for surgery at 8:30 so I'm hoping they are on time and I get as much recovery time as I can today because I don't want to stay 2 nights!