Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Say About Swift Weight Loss To Acquaintances

This is just me, but I have told all of my overweight friends. I even told the overweight lady I sat next to on the airplane yesterday. I am 5 weeks out and lost 30 pounds. It is not the weight loss so much as it is the freedom I now feel. I do not feel so controled by food and I want overweight people who are suffering like I was to know that this was a solution for me. It is not a solution for everyone, but it worked for me. I do not walk up to strangers and sell my sleeve but I tell friends who are fighting this battle. My close friends know but I don't really tell others, I don't feel that it is anyones business but mine and I don't put it out there for office gossip or judgement.

This one has my vote. If they happen to see your scars at the country club shower room just say, "Oh yeah, my doctor has REALLY aggressive methods!" B)

I love this guy! LOL :D

I was gonna say i have a medical staff/team that i work with! lol

I just say' date=' "weightloss? Oh no, I just got a new haircut...makes me look slim! :)

Ok that's not true lol[/quote']

I actually had someone tell me that my new, short haircut made my face look thinner. This was after I lost 30 pounds, I just said, thanks!

Great posts, everyone! I like the 'medically supervised' program (hate the word diet!) response. It alludes to a possible 'medical problem' that most discrete people will not push further for answers, especially in a work/office environment.I must be getting better-I miss work! 

Everyone I'm close to knows about my VSG last Thursday' date=' 10/11/12. I'm a secretary in Principal's office in an elementary school so a lot of people, teachers, aids, parents and community members, see me regularly. What do I say to 'random' compliments about weight loss, when asked how I did it (of course this will happen in a public arena so God knows who else will hear my response!) When I last lost 70 pounds on Jenny Craig-I was open about it to everyone and anyone. (Thanks to my success, at least 7 women I knew went on JC-we all stopped and regained the loss-typical!) I feel like saying "diet and exercise" but I know that's a lie! Should I openly respond that I had surgery, and if I do, do I risk the chance of an extended Q and A session for all the world to hear (and keeping me from my work--my boss would not be thrilled!). Help! I go back on Monday - rumor has it that I had 'back' surgery...not Bariatric. (Gossips tend to distort story! They got the "b" right and the "k" at the end, but the middle ...WTH! The old "telephone game" played out right before my eyes!)[/quote']

I have to say the answer to this is diet and exercise I just got cleared at my 6 week visit. My job is tooo eat 3 meals a day only no snacking...eating 20 grams of Protein each meal. Getting around 800 calories a day. Exercise is a must....intense exercise that means very good and hard exercise!!! Now tell me that is not diet and exercise. Your surgery will not lose the weight for you!! The stuff u have to do will!!! If you don't want to share all your tools to helping you... Then don't! You will not be lieing with your diet and exercise answer.

when people ask I have said "I am eating a lot less" no lie!

Ready4success- I saw someone I hadn't seen in about a year and she looked at me, looked again and stumble on "you, you, you (staring at me) got highlites!"

I smiled and said Yup :)

I've had lost 70lbs since I saw her last hehe

Ready4success- I saw someone I hadn't seen in about a year and she looked at me' date=' looked again and stumble on "you, you, you (staring at me) got highlites!"

I smiled and said Yup :)

I've had lost 70lbs since I saw her last hehe[/quote']

Love it! Highlights...good answer! ;)

How about a doctor-supervised weight loss program? It sounds a bit more intense than Jenny Craig, but you're not having to admit to surgery in public. Then, if it's a friend or someone you know socially outside of work, and you want them to know, you can update them away from the office.

This is exactly how i handled my situation. Only very few know; not that im ashamed but really, ive seen coworkers reactions and whispers about other folks who went the surgery route and I didnt want to be their next topic....they are what i call "haters"!

As I get more mature, I'm still amazed at the jealousies some women have toward one another, especially when it comes to weight loss! I think personal insecurities, etc. inhibit women from celebrating one another's successes. So petty! I have never been one to hold back a compliment-if I see you and you look great ir better than last time, I'll say it " you look so pretty today (sic.)!" The last time I lost a big chunk of weight I noticed the affect my increased confidence was having on the women around me. My true friends act like every pound I lose was theirs as well-so happy for me. The others would actually avoid or try to ignore me, so darn obvious! That's their problem. I didn't like myself, so I decided to change. I don't have the monopoly on self-reflection. Ok I'm done! 

I feel as so...all you have to say is you finally took action and love your body. Your willing to to do whatever it takes to be healthy at any expense. Some people don't and you do. So don't judge, I'm living my life and they are just in it. :)

You know, guys do this catty stuff sometimes. How much money you have/your job, what you are driving, how your woman looks, golf scores, baseball knowledge, athletic ability, what your kids amounted to, how you lost your weight, anything can be the motivation behind superior look-downs and sly little grins and giggles.

When I am in the presence of one of these insecurity maskers I take advantage of the next available opportunity to remove myself from their presence and take note to avoid it from then on.

For the most part, I told people that I got rid of my dinner plates and bought a nice set of slightly larger salad plates (true). This has helped my family with Portion Control, so, we all eat less, but I, especially, concentrate on smaller portions. (True). I also have started an exercise regimen where I run and do high impact interval aerobics (true).

I felt no responsibility to tell them about my surgery, just like I felt no responsibility to tell them about my LASIK surgery to help me see, my vasectomy to help me enjoy sex more without worrying about pregnancy nor telling them about my hemorrhoidectomy to help me ... well ... you know.

Now, I did make exceptions for those who directly inquired whether I had WLS or those who I knew struggled with their weight. I wasn't going to directly lie and I do feel we need to help others who struggle.

I have never lied and those who need to know, know.

Well mine wasn't going back to work it was going back to church. Even though I had only missed one Sunday you could still tell tw difference. Church folks can be just as bad as coworkers. I don't lie. I am eating less exercising more watching what I eat( no sugar low carbs high Protein etc) it is your choice how you handle the situation. Also I had someone come up to me and say I never knew you had such pretty hair you lol so different. Lol