Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Say About Swift Weight Loss To Acquaintances

Everyone I'm close to knows about my VSG last Thursday, 10/11/12. I'm a secretary in Principal's office in an elementary school so a lot of people, teachers, aids, parents and community members, see me regularly. What do I say to 'random' compliments about weight loss, when asked how I did it (of course this will happen in a public arena so God knows who else will hear my response!) When I last lost 70 pounds on Jenny Craig-I was open about it to everyone and anyone. (Thanks to my success, at least 7 women I knew went on JC-we all stopped and regained the loss-typical!) I feel like saying "diet and exercise" but I know that's a lie! Should I openly respond that I had surgery, and if I do, do I risk the chance of an extended Q and A session for all the world to hear (and keeping me from my work--my boss would not be thrilled!). Help! I go back on Monday - rumor has it that I had 'back' surgery...not Bariatric. (Gossips tend to distort story! They got the "b" right and the "k" at the end, but the middle ...WTH! The old "telephone game" played out right before my eyes!)

Diet and exercise are the truth! I would just stick with that, just tell them that you are eating healthy, watching portion size and exercising. I know how you feel, i don't really like talking about myself to the masses.

Best of luck to you!

How about you just tell them you had weight loss surgery? You don't have to provide specifics, just tell them how good you feel. Focus on how wonderful you are feeling, and remember to smile. Just my opinion.

Before I had the surgery I told very few people only because I didn't want to field questions. When I return to work I plan to tell all who ask with the emphasis on being healthy. GOOD LUCK!

Don't tell people until YOU are ready. No one should be forced to tell people. Once you tell one person, the cat's out of the bag, so to speak. ;)

People lose a lot of week quickly on the Atkins diet and nobody challenges them. So just say you lowered your carbs. And when you are ready, you can add 'i had WLS to make sure the weight stays off.'

Good luck!

How about a doctor-supervised weight loss program? It sounds a bit more intense than Jenny Craig, but you're not having to admit to surgery in public. Then, if it's a friend or someone you know socially outside of work, and you want them to know, you can update them away from the office.

How about a doctor-supervised weight loss program? It sounds a bit more intense than Jenny Craig, but you're not having to admit to surgery in public. Then, if it's a friend or someone you know socially outside of work, and you want them to know, you can update them away from the office.

This one has my vote. If they happen to see your scars at the country club shower room just say, "Oh yeah, my doctor has REALLY aggressive methods!" B)

I keep it super vague and change the subject asap. I hate talking about personal things at work. Good luck!

Nobody has noticed I've lost weight yet, but I have been asked why I'm not eating celebration cakes at work or what I'm drinking for lunch. I just say high, high Protein, low carb nutrition plan.

If you don't want to share, don't. It is not fear of disclosure or embarrassment or being secretive. It is the same right to privacy that everyone has. Do they want to know what brand of underwear you are wearing or your bra size? "Wow, you sure do have large breasts. What size is that bra?" Or the opposite for small breasts. I know they mean to give you a compliment, but your weight and plan are not public domain.

Tell them whatever you want to tell them. They aren't entitled to any answers about your private, personal life.

I am gonna say' date=' dr supervised, high Protein, no carb diet, with a lot of exercise ;) none of that is a lie;)[/quote']

I like this one. Everyone has an opinion and some are mean.

If you need training in how to avoid answering questions just watch the debates. :ph34r:

If you dont want to share, dont! Just say you are eating right and exercising period. People are nosey...

I went back to work yesterday and I was so worried about it. I only told my boss and my close co-worker. I work in an office with about 25 people. Everyone was so happy to see me and asked how I was feeling but not one person asked what I had done. I got off easy. They did notice the weight loss so maybe they figured it out. Either way I'm just saying I feel better and thanks for your concern and leave it at that. I did decide that if anyone asked what was wrong I will say because rumors start but I'll wait until they ask. Gives everyone something to talk about for a while.

I just say, "weightloss? Oh no, I just got a new haircut...makes me look slim! :)

Ok that's not true lol

Have some fun.

Tell them you are on the new fad doughnut diet. :P

Their looks would be priceless.