Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My rule of thumb is to target 3 oz of solid Protein a meal or 25-30 grams of protein in shake form. If I eat 3 protein meals a day and 2 shake meals, I end up with more than enough protein per day, usually between 100-125 grams. Body is happy except for the hair; it is still falling like autumn leaves.

It's pretty amazing the differences in recommendations I'm seeing from reading a lot of the posts on here.

I'm astounded by the people who are eating bread already!

Hmm I don't know I think the majority of doc's say 6 months out for bread. Crackers are different if you choose to eat them. Most do low or very low carb diets to make the most of the first 6 months, good luck to you

Question re. Protein. I see how the min. requirement is different from dr. to Dr. and consuming too little is dangerous. Are there any concerns re: eating too much protein? My nut. recimmends 60-80 grams day. Yesterday I started entering my food on MyFitnessPal and noticed I had 82 gr. P yesterday and 92 today! I really thought I was under-kept losing track of when I had 1/2 scoop (11 gs.) or a whole. The first days after surgery it was so hard to finish 8 oz. of anything! What a difference a week makes!

Question re. Protein. I see how the min. requirement is different from dr. to Dr. and consuming too little is dangerous. Are there any concerns re: eating too much Protein? My nut. recimmends 60-80 grams day. Yesterday I started entering my food on MyFitnessPal and noticed I had 82 gr. P yesterday and 92 today! I really thought I was under-kept losing track of when I had 1/2 scoop (11 gs.) or a whole. The first days after surgery it was so hard to finish 8 oz. of anything! What a difference a week makes!

Not really. It's really hard for us to get to a level that is "too much".

So I confirmed with my surgeon today because y'all had me wondering . He said my goal right now is 30-40. 60 would be great but I'm fine at this point with 30-40 and he said definitely no Snacks - 3 meals only.

My nut. told me the same thing-3 meals, no Snacks in between, just liquids. I asked about the 'small meals every few hours' theory that every diet plan espouses and she said eating that often is not good for me. It's better that my body get used to eating 3 meals, as close to the same time each day as much as possible. She said that the small snack will sometimes make the body hungry for more food which can cause some people to consume too many calories as a snack. (Explains why one little 100 calorie snack usually turned to 2 or dare say, 3 - 100 calorie snack!) Its for the best.

Wow. No way could I do only 3 meals a day. I can't eat enough to stay full that long! My NUT says to keep my body fueled so it burns off stored fat.

My son was interested in a career in Nutrition. He lasted one year before switching his major. He said it was a field full of inconsistencies and some really far fetched ideologies with teachers recommending contradictory lessons. I didn't really believe him....after being sleeved and all these diff meal plans, I sure do now!!

:-)

lol Totally different - Wow! I am definitely not full - I am hungry a lot but was told that you don't really want the feeling of fullness, just the absence of hunger. Anyway, the weight loss is going great so I'm not going to question it! lol

Question re. Protein. I see how the min. requirement is different from dr. to Dr. and consuming too little is dangerous. Are there any concerns re: eating too much Protein? My nut. recimmends 60-80 grams day. Yesterday I started entering my food on MyFitnessPal and noticed I had 82 gr. P yesterday and 92 today! I really thought I was under-kept losing track of when I had 1/2 scoop (11 gs.) or a whole. The first days after surgery it was so hard to finish 8 oz. of anything! What a difference a week makes!

It is possible to have too much protein but for most it's not an issue as the excess just doesn't get absorbed and will be released with in your urine. Those with kidney issues might have to watch their protein intake. I can't recall the rationale but I know my grandmother had kidney issue and was told to keep her protein under a certain level.

I was wondering the same with my weight loss. Im 8 weeks out and down 54 lbs and I had a 2 week stall. I lost 5 lbs just last week. My NUT says it will slow down. I'm at 3 meals a day plus my Water intake. I no longer have any food restrictions. I was allowed bread at 5 weeks.

I was wondering the same thing but didnt want to ask and upset anyone! I had my surgery Oct 2 start weight 265 current weight is 233 In 2 weeks and 4 days!!! That's CRAZY!! Im following my Diet not exercising. I said I wasnt going to exercise till I hit my 3 week stall cuz Im losing too fast. My doctor says Im ok not to worry.

Jazz is right, having kidney problems with high Protein intake = bad news.

The Water intake is essential in flushing our kidneys and keeping them healthy.

It is possible to have too much Protein but for most it's not an issue as the excess just doesn't get absorbed and will be released with in your urine. Those with kidney issues might have to watch their Protein intake. I can't recall the rationale but I know my grandmother had kidney issue and was told to keep her protein under a certain level.

As I understand it, it's really a problem for people with reduced kidney function, isn't it? I have read that it could be a problem for people with healthy kidneys, but you'd have to eat more protein than most sleevers are capable of.

Yes, as far as I know, it's just a concern for people with reduced kidney function.