Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dinner At Boss's House 4 Weeks Out

Going out of tow for work next week and just found out the boss is having us all over to her house for dinner- no one at work knows I had the sleeve done- I am going to have NO CONTROL over what is served at dinner and I am still on soft - mushey foods. Should I "fake" sick so I can go back to the hotel? I really don't want to tell her or offend her by not eating her food. What am I going to do?? Have you been here before?

Wow this is a tough one how about:

I am on medication and can't eat that

I feel a little sickly

push the food around your plate

ask if you can bring anything(you have certain dietary restrictions)

Sometimes people don't really notice that you are not eating, maybe we make more of a deal about it then they will.

If u don't want anyone to know. Just call in sick. Like u have the flu and u don't want to make anyone else sick. Cause I can't fake not having a 4 oz stomach and u don't want to push it this early.

I went to a wedding 3 weeks ago and people noticed I wasn't eating much. It caught me off guarded and I told them that i was a special dr prescripted diet for a heart condition. Have to watch the sodium and portion sizes. They didn't buy it but at least they didn't focus on me anymore.

Ask if you can bring (insert something you can eat) because not all foods agree with your sensitive stomach. Not telling her anything while also being truthful :)

I'm sure there will be some choices on your boss' menu you'll be able to eat and will be sleeve friendly. Once you get your plate, remember to take small bites, chew-chew-chew, put your fork down, and jump in the conversations going on! Shove the food around so it won't be too noticeable how little you are eating. And, for the inquisitive folks, your doctor has you on a very restricted high protein/low carb diet to boost your metabolism!!! Then give a very "coy" smile and say, you're loving the results! Go have fun.com! Our sleeve did not doom us to shy away from life. If anything, it has opened the door to fuller, richer, healthier lives. :)

I'm sure there will be some choices on your boss' menu you'll be able to eat and will be sleeve friendly. Once you get your plate' date=' remember to take small bites, chew-chew-chew, put your fork down, and jump in the conversations going on! Shove the food around so it won't be too noticeable how little you are eating. And, for the inquisitive folks, your doctor has you on a very restricted high protein/low carb diet to boost your metabolism!!! Then give a very "coy" smile and say, you're loving the results! Go have fun.com! Our sleeve did not doom us to shy away from life. If anything, it has opened the door to fuller, richer, healthier lives. :)[/quote']

here here!!!!!!!

Personally I would say I was sick. I find it very difficult to make it look like I made a dent in a plate of food. I always feel bad after going out to eat as the waitress, always misinterprets my full plate of food as a sign I did not enjoy my meal. Not attending the dinner will eliminate any hard feelings, and awkwardness on our husbands part. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you for the great suggestions! I have always been such a hearty eater in the past and as usual it seems so many events revolve around food. It is hard to "sneak" away with not eating as much as everyone else. I am loving the sleeve and find it so amazing and fun that I get full on so little, I have to show my whole family (very supportive) how little I just ate, because I am so proud and in awe that this is working!!

okay I happen to believe I have the best ways to deal with this:

#1. eat Soups

#2. appetizers

#3. house salad

#4. half meal plate

#5. childrens menu

orrrr....

#6. don't drink anything 1.5 hours prior to going to the dinner party and try to "eat a normal" plate and cut up everything super tiny, pretend your a baby and you will choke if you take full on adult bites hahhhaha.

Then once youre full say, "oh man, I don't feel too good!" and either leave or go to the bathroom and vomit it out. remember, be precautious!! :-D

good luckz!!

I had to attend my boss' birthday lunch a week after I was sleeved. I wasn't even on mushies yet. It was at a Meixcan restaurant (my favorite cuisine). We had to pre-order our food. I ordered chicken tortilla Soup just so I could eat the broth, and it was nasty!!! People noticed I didn't eat my food, I didn't like it, so I just sipped on Water with lemon. I would still go and just eat foods that are mushy or foods that you can make mushy in your mouth. Just be prepared for questions/reactions because they will happen.

Say you're getting blood drawn in 2 days and are fasting.

I have been sleeved for a yr and a half now. Beeen there! A lot! I fakes Migraines, stomach aches, even ordered Soups but after few tablespoons I was suuuper full and people still commented! I now order appetizers and people still question! I was even accused on several occasions that I was bulemic! Geez lol but those peeps who don't know are coworkers, not very close friends, etc my family and good friends know and don't judge my little plates lol

Can I give you the "bosses" perspective?

We are going to haev our annual group of 20 employees down to our washington house next weekend. We have done this now for four years. We do some outside dinning (this year we are actually going to be in seattle because of the complications I have had with my surgery so I can't host) but we also cook for our guests, Breakfast and dinner a few times during the event.

I never want a guest in my house to not enjoy their visit. This goes for friends, family, our team and strangers. I would personally love to hear that someone has a dietary issue in advance so that I can prepare something they can enjoy as well as the foods I'm doing for others. I would NEVER point out or ask questions if someone didn't clean their plate...actually I'd probably not notice. This is about the team, not about their personal eating habbits.

I "as the boss" would love to have a quick email from you stating that you'd had a recent surgery for reflux and were only allowed to have things like Soup without chunks, potatoes, soft fish,, etc. and as such you'd be happy to bring a side dish if that's too difficult for her to handle the night of the event.

I'd respect you MORE for having done so. The last thing I want is a guest to feel akward in my home or at an event I am hosting. It's a priority of mine.

We have a team member who is lactose intollerant, allergic to nuts, garlic and gad I forgot...I think it was onions, and can't have wheat. We work around her issues and either quietly serve her something else, or have a chef do so if we are at a restaurant. I think nothing of it.