Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories a day do you eat?

How many calories per day?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How many calories per day?

• Under 800
    • 800-900
    • 900-1000
    • 1000-1100
    • 1100-1200
    • 1200-1300
    • 1300-1400
    • Over 1400

Ok you guys have me freaking out!!!!! 800 calories a day?!?!?! I've been tracking my eating and calories and all that, and I eat anywhere from 1200 to 2200 calories a day!!! and that's supposedly my range to let me loose 3 pounds a week!!!! What the heck is going on? I'm pretty tight, but maybe my calorie intake is so much higher because I have so much to loose? I' weighed 341.5 last Thursday at my Dr.'s office and thedailyplate.com is telling me that to loose 3 pounds a week I can have 2,179 a day.....

I never eat that much, unless I go out and splurge or something...oh man, I'm totally worried....I feel so much better than I did a week ago, have been doing great and this fill has been marvelous....but now I'm kinda freaked out and confused!!!! :eek:^_^:eek::confused::eek:

The heavier you are the more likely you will be able to eat more and still lose weight. However, you will have to adjust as you lose weight. It takes more energy (calories) to move around more weight even in everyday living so you will burn more calories. This is why if you put 2 people on the same calorie plan, the one who has more weight will lose faster. With what you have been eating, have you been losing 3 pounds per week? Honestly I can BARELY squeeze in 1500 calories a day that I am supposed to be eating on maintenance with the high quality foods that I eat.

I have only just started tracking my calories and keeping a journal for the last 3 days because my weight has been at a standstill for the last 18 months or so. I was banded just over 4 years ago and was pretty much eating whatever I wanted and lost 140 pounds over that time. Now I think because I am getting closer to goal, I have to work harder at it and be more conscious of how many calories in/out. I weigh 220 now and my goal is 160 so I don't have too far to to go reach it.

I was never given a guidline by my doc of how many calories to eat and it didn't seem to matter until the last year or so where I obviously do have to think more about it now.

You guys are awesome, let me start with RubyJade, OMG 140 pounds lost, U GO GIRL, I want your daily schedule with everything, food, exercise!!! clap clap yell, bow to you!!!

Secondly, Iherstine, I am sooooo jealous of you right now, I had my surgery 10-10-07, I am only down 70, my starting weight was 316, what is your goal how tall are you? Please give me your schedule as well! Clap,:thumbup: clap!!!!

katie 328 did you ask your doctor and dietician? I was told 800-1000 a day try to get 60-65g Proteins, no sugar! I have done pretty well, but there are days even weeks that I do not see a scale change, but I do in clothes. However on Saturdays, I definately go over, which is probably why Iherstine is kicking my butt on the weight loss, plus I probably do not move my *** enough! LOL:drool:

Thank you so much for all the input. I did ask my doctor, but was banded so long ago...4 years in September...that I just needed a kick in the butt!! My refresher has been inputed and I'm back on track and better than ever!!!! You guys are so awesome and supportive and I can't thank you enough!!!

YOU ARE ALSO DOING GREAT!! MY HEIGHT IS 5' 4", AS FAR AS MY SCHEDULE, I START MY DAY (7:30 A.M.) WITH Breakfast OF A Protein shake OR WEIGHT CONTROL oatmeal WITH RAISINS IN IT. I TRY TO GET 300 CALORIES FOR Breakfast. THE Protein Shake KEEPS ME THE FULLEST!! THEN FOR A SNACK(10:30 - 11:00) I HAVE EITHER A SPECIAL K snack OR COTTEGE cheese. (SOMETHING AROUND 80 - 90 CALORIES). THEN AT lunch (1:00ish) I EAT SOMETHING WITH PROTIEN AROUND 250 - 300 CALORIES.SOMETIMES LEAN CUISENE OR chicken.

THEN AT dinner I EAT WHATEVER IS FOR MY FAMILY dinner (IF THEY HAVE CARBS LIKE SPEGETII (sp) I TRY TO EAT JUST THE meat AND SAUCE ON A PEICE OF 35 CAL bread, OR SUBSTITUE VEGGIES FOR THE CARB BUT STILL EAT THE PROTEIN!!! (TRY TO GET 300 CALORIES) I MAY HAVE AN EXTRA SNACK (HEALTHY) TO BE SURE THAT I GET 1000 CAL FOR THE DAY. I HAVE FOUND AS OF LATE THAT IF I ONLY EAT 900 CALORIES I AM NOT LOOSING BUT IF I EAT 1000-1100 WITH SOME CARBS THEN I AM LOOSING. I HAVE'NT BEEN DOING WELL ON EXERCISING LATELY BUT I TRY TO WALK 1/2 MILE AT LEAST 3 TIMES A DAY. HOPE THAT HELPS YOU. KEEP PUSHING ON (OR DOWN IN OUR CASE!!:coolgleamA:.

I must confess that i do not count calories nor have i since this progress began. My guess would be at a minimum i eat 1100 calories a day.

I am 2 weeks out and am just now starting to get in over 600 calories a day. I was very worried about my calorie intake until I contacted my Nut and she told me to not count calories so much as:

1 - 60-70 grams of Protein a day

2 - Drink 64+ oz of water/fluid a day

3 - Proteins first

4 - no drinking 30 min prior and 1 hour after a meal

If I have a snack to make sure it is high in Protein.< /p>

I've lost alot of weight since surgery and I've been totally amazed.

I'm still on soft foods but I've been working in normal foods to my meals.

But it does make sense that everyone's experiences will be different and depending on what level of healing or what stage you are (post op, pre fill, post fill, etc) the amount you can eat will vary.

What I've started doing is when I feel a bit weak or fuzzy headed I grab a high protein snack or popsicle. So far it is working.

It is interesting to see the variety of answers there are to this question. It seems the majority of people eat between 800 and 1500 calories. My doctor told me to stay between 600 and 800. I try. I've lost 45 lbs in 3 months. There are days I eat more than 800 calories and I'm fine with it. The exercise is important.

I haven't figured out how to update my ticker. It's not right.

when I eat high quality nutritious food and include wholegrains like top quality bread, I average around 1500. if I eat any rubbish, I find it easy to top 2000. I'm on maintenance though and I'm extremely active, I have no problem maintaining my weight on that many calories.

I was banded 1/12/09 and lost the first 11 lbs. pretty quick the first week. Now the second week I have only lost 1 pound. I track my food and I have just began taking in 800-900 calories. Last week I was in the the 700 - 750 calorie area. Most of them were protien. I did not take in much of any carbs.. I am hoping to see the scale move again with the change. I see the nutritionist again Feb 5th.. Perhaps then I will get more instructions..

I started tracking my calories at the beginning of January and since I started eating closer to 1100-1200 calories I have actually started to lose again. I use the Daily Plate and it has really openned my eyes to eating healthy calories. I eat (and weigh everything) 4-5 oz at a time. I read alot about going into "starvation" mode by going under 1000 calories and I really think that was what was happening to me. And I had NO energy. But now I really make an effort to eat good, whole foods that have alot of good calories and nutrients to make it worth it. I am trying to get away from processed foods and I can tell a difference. Also--breakfast. I am not as hungry in the morning and am really tight. So I would skip breakfast. But now I have some hot green tea, wait a half an hour and just eat very slow and have a scrambled egg with some turkey sausage. And it really make me feel better for the whole day.

I think it is about what you eat-not the calories specifically. Make it worth putting in your mouth. We don't get alot to eat at a time--and it is all our bodies have to live off of. I have been really coming to terms with this... Do I crave wings or tacos? Yes. But salad and spinach (I am addicted to it now) tastes much better. Never thought I would want spinach over tacos. And I only like fresh spinach. HATE frozen. Crazy.

My advice-- look at what is in what you are eating and track what fills you up and keeps you full.. But I am still new at this. I think Jacqui has the most realistic, well rounded approach.. :redface: She's got this thing down.

I am so thankful you posted your question because I am so unsure of what should be happening now. I am three weeks post-op and on mushies for one week now. between the two week prep and the first week after I lost 17 lbs. then I put back about 2 lbs. which was very upsetting. Today I went on the scale and lost those two lbs. I am eating about 1200 calories per day. I have not started a consistant exercise program yet but I think I should be losing something. Listening to everyone here has been helpful.