Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories a day do you eat?

How many calories per day?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How many calories per day?

• Under 800
    • 800-900
    • 900-1000
    • 1000-1100
    • 1100-1200
    • 1200-1300
    • 1300-1400
    • Over 1400

I cycle my calorie intake - anywhere from 1100 to near 3000. But that's also including moderate to intense exercise sessions 5-7 days a week.

IMO, one of the worst things you can do is eat a set number of calories day after day after day. Your body will adjust your metabolism accordingly. I keep it guessing and well-fed. I try to eat something nutritious every few waking hours, that is balanced fats/carbs/protein. This keeps your metabolism cranking!

If you aren't getting the results you desire - journal everything you do - and then calculate to see what's amiss.

Brad

Kimmyv.. thanks for all you insights.. I am wondering what the Daily Plate is? I have a realize band and have been using the realizemysuccess.. to track my calories and to my surprise for the first time in two weeks I have finally dropped another 3 pounds. However, I just took my calorie count up to 1000 - 1100. I do track all my intake and am always looking for advice to help. Perhaps the Daily Plate is something I could use as well to further my ability to put together proper meals and snacks.. thanks..

I was just thinking that... it's very evenly spread.

I'm sitting here reading this board instead of going to sleep (as I should be) because I feel I've eaten too much today... probably about 1350 calories. I know it's not that bad but I'm feeling a LITTLE bit of a failure since I got banded last August but have only lost about 25 pounds since then. (I'm grateful for those 25, believe me!) Over the holidays I gained about 4 pounds... but I gotta say, I really had to WORK to do that! I truly mastered the art of "eating around the band" and sneakily got all the bad kinds of food in. In a way it's a victory that I only gained 4.

I've just had my second fill and about to re-start real food; also back in the gym... just so wanting to get back on track... worried because today I felt a bit hungry (which I really haven't felt since my fill) and don't think it was just head hunger.

Anyway thanks so much to all on this site for posting and giving encouragement. Happy Groundhog Day to all!

Kimmyv.. thanks for all you insights.. I am wondering what the Daily Plate is? I have a realize band and have been using the realizemysuccess.. to track my calories and to my surprise for the first time in two weeks I have finally dropped another 3 pounds. However, I just took my calorie count up to 1000 - 1100. I do track all my intake and am always looking for advice to help. Perhaps the Daily Plate is something I could use as well to further my ability to put together proper meals and Snacks.. thanks..

I also started to lose when I up'd my calories a little! DailyPlate.com is part of Livestrong.com (lance armstrong's site). I heard about it on here. You can track what you eat and it breaks it down to your % of fat,carbs,Protein, calories etc. You can also add in your exercise and Water consumption. THere is a forum on there like here as well. Although I will tell you--those posters on the forum are for the most part-super into weights and nutrition etc.... I read the posts and get ideas on healthy food alternatives but don't really post there for the most part. But the food tracking (and diary if you want it) is just for you unless you want people to be able to see it. For me it really helps me see what I am putting in my mouth and holds me accountable. I had thought I was doing low carb but I was consuming more carbs than I thought.

hi all i to was wondering what the calorie intake should be. i do post on daily plate and it really helps me. i have noticed that i eat between 1200-1500 calories a day then i do the gym 5 days a wk. i have to make healthier food choices. i thought i would have lost more than i have and i guess i get discouraged alittle. im starting formula 40-30-30 on sunday. that is a diet thats like south beach. 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% Protein i think.

we i will see if that gets it going

Hello all,

I have been having a really hard time figuring out how much to eat etc. I haven't had much restriction and I hate counting calories, I thought the whole point of the band is I wouldn't have too.

Anyway, I found a great web-site (all-about-lapband.com) that has a lap band eating plan that contains food lists and portion sizes and a core meal plan with how many portions of Protein, grains, fruit etc. you should be eating per meal and so forth. I printed it all out and made myself a food journal on my computer that I printed out on pretty paper. So far so good.

Also, their is a book out:

Before & After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery

I just ordered it from Barnes and Noble and the reviews have been excellent.

I hope this helps you all. Check out the web-site, it really helped me. I'll keep you posted on the book, once I get it.

Thanks for this post.:lol: I just joined this sight today and I needed this information.

I also feel like I am hungry too much of the time. I am unable to eat almost anything and get "stuck" a lot, no really A LOT.

I had my surgery in July of 2008, I have only lost 35 pounds and that has been a struggle. I guess I thought this "tool" would help me not be hungry and weight loss not such a struggle for me. I have not had any weight loss since Nov of 2008... BUT I have not gained either so I guess I can not complain.

I am eating a whole lot less then I use to, many times way under 700 calories a day so I am frustrated beyond measure that the weight is not just poring off.

I am hopeful that this web sight will help me deal with my frustration. :mad2: Today I feel rather low and if I knew then what I know now... well I do not think I would of had the surgery.:sneaky:

Thanks for sharing, I hope to be out here daily getting encouragement, tips and advice.

MamaLadybug

Thanks for this post.:smile: I just joined this sight today and I needed this information.

I also feel like I am hungry too much of the time. I am unable to eat almost anything and get "stuck" a lot, no really A LOT.

I had my surgery in July of 2008, I have only lost 35 pounds and that has been a struggle. I guess I thought this "tool" would help me not be hungry and weight loss not such a struggle for me. I have not had any weight loss since Nov of 2008... BUT I have not gained either so I guess I can not complain.

I am eating a whole lot less then I use to, many times way under 700 calories a day so I am frustrated beyond measure that the weight is not just poring off.

I am hopeful that this web sight will help me deal with my frustration. :thumbup: Today I feel rather low and if I knew then what I know now... well I do not think I would of had the surgery.:tt2:

Thanks for sharing, I hope to be out here daily getting encouragement, tips and advice.

MamaLadybug

IMO you have firmly placed your body into starvation mode due to the extremely low calorie diet you eat. You don't mention exercise, but I'd imagine your probably too tired to exercise most of the time on that calorie intake. If I were in your shoes I would gradually increase my calorie intake AND exercise until you achieve more moderate numbers. Once you do, the weight will start coming off.

The band is a TOOL, it's not a miracle. Just because you get the band does not guarantee you'll have success. The band was never meant to be cinched down until you practically can't eat. Properly adjusted, hunger will be kept at bay after a eating a reasonable amount of food. A big mistake, however, that a lot of people make (IMO) is that they try to get most of their calorie deficit by eating very little food - rather than getting their deficit from a blend of diet and EXERCISE.

IMO... Your band is TOO tight, causing you to eat TOO LITTLE, causing you to be too tired to get adequate exercise.

Brad

Hi Everyone - Thanks for the posts. First time on this thread.

I really found that when I was at a plateau it was because I wasn't eating enough. It's hard to eat enough though when you are too restricted. Things go up and down for me. Sometimes I could eat, other times not - so I sway back and forth with getting an unfil. Still need to increase the exercise.

Hey Bam Bam - How are you doing?

I

Hey Bam Bam - How are you doing?

I

Still kicking - and that's half of the battle!

Brad

does anyone have any blank 1200 calorie sheets that they can email me?? Or does anyone know a good website I can go to to download ones

IMO you have firmly placed your body into starvation mode due to the extremely low calorie diet you eat. You don't mention exercise, but I'd imagine your probably too tired to exercise most of the time on that calorie intake. If I were in your shoes I would gradually increase my calorie intake AND exercise until you achieve more moderate numbers. Once you do, the weight will start coming off.

The band is a TOOL, it's not a miracle. Just because you get the band does not guarantee you'll have success. The band was never meant to be cinched down until you practically can't eat. Properly adjusted, hunger will be kept at bay after a eating a reasonable amount of food. A big mistake, however, that a lot of people make (IMO) is that they try to get most of their calorie deficit by eating very little food - rather than getting their deficit from a blend of diet and EXERCISE.

IMO... Your band is TOO tight, causing you to eat TOO LITTLE, causing you to be too tired to get adequate exercise.

Brad

Yes, yes, you are not the first person to say that... in my stubborn hardheadedness I have refused to heed the advice. HOWEVER, after hearing it again, this time from you I decided to talk to my DR and had a small amount backed out. I am back to the gym in the AM.

Just so you know, mentally I am fully aware of the fact that there is no magic bullet, eat less work out more and the weight will come off...HOWEVER, there are days when I am feeling rather low and still dream of or wish for the magic of waking up healthy and thin.

IMO you where right, but that does not make it easier to hear.:)

I just read the info from BamBam and I also was not eating enough. My doctor just told me that I needed to up my calories to 1000. That will cause the body to start burning. However, the exercise is also very important!

Sunshine926

I just read the info from BamBam and I also was not eating enough. My doctor just told me that I needed to up my calories to 1000. That will cause the body to start burning. However, the exercise is also very important!

Sunshine926

Yes, the working out is key. :thumbup:

I have started keeping track of all I eat and do on fitday.com and since I have gotten a bit of the Water backed out of my band I am doing much better, in both energy and hunger. :smile:

I am able to eat just over 1000 calories a day now and I feel so much better. SO, with any luck and my moving my butt I should see the scale starting to move again soon.:cursing: