Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Chickened Out

Just make sure if you go ahead with the sleeve that you are comfortable and able to have a second operation, a DS or Bypass. The reason is due to the Ghrelin hormone being removed by the sleeve procedure which causes u tool have no sense of hunger, however our bodie adapt and the Grehlin comes back which means you will feel hunger again. For me it was the 2 year mark, started to feel so hungry and sure enough my Grehlin levels when tested were back in the normal range. Now, I'm looking at another procedure

Wow I wasn't aware that the hormones for hunger would/could potentially come back! Huh....I know I don't want multiple procedures (I hate the idea of going under for any reason, but I can buck up when I have to).

Wow I wasn't aware that the hormones for hunger would/could potentially come back! Huh....I know I don't want multiple procedures (I hate the idea of going under for any reason' date=' but I can buck up when I have to).[/quote']

Yes, it does return for some people but even then in much lower amounts.

Nicci

I am a lot like you. I am 31 years old, in Nursing school, and preparing to go through this surgery. I have had several surgeries in the past so I am not to worried. My mother doesn't like the fact that I am going through with this surgery. She is a nurse too, and has heard the countless problems people have had. If you are in nursing school, take that information you have learned and put it to good use. You know what can happen and you know what the nurses are going to do to prevent any problems. Yes it is scary to have any surgery. There are always risks. You just have to have faith.

Honestly no' date=' I have been big my whole life and don't have diabetes or high cholesterol or high bp or anything life threatening like that, Aside from my weight I'm in excellent health.[/quote']

Until you're not. I have been overweight my whole life but have been in excellent health. Never get sick, I'm very active and snow skiied, Water skiied, played racquetball, softball, paintball, and many other activities. I thought because I was so physically active that I was immune to any of these things, despite my weight.

Then a couple years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes. I'm borderline high blood pressure and was also recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I also had a major disc rupture and was diagnosed with cauda equina last year that nearly left me paralyzed. It was one of the worst cases my neurosurgeon had seen, and she is at Swedish Hospital in Seattle, not just a small town hospital, and she specializes in backs. My weight was a major contributing factor.

When I was 30 I really thought I was in such good health none of these things could touch me. Now they're touching me in a huge way. I have permanent nerve damage the cauda equine when my disc ruptured. So you're in excellent health even though you're overweight, until one day you're not anymore. Just some things to consider from one "excellent health fat person" to another.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your surgery. I just wanted to tell you that as a nurse for years, your nurse was very unprofessional and maybe inexperienced. An incident of tachycardia ( yes, heart racing ) is not a reason for a nurse panicking, especially in front of a patient. Many people wake up from surgery and it takes awhile for their vital signs to adjust!

As for the horror stories - you should hear the ones I hear following emergency department visits out and about town. I will hear stories about visits that I was personally present for, and their versions are dramatically different from what I witnessed. That is not to say that in "their" perception they are describing it is not true but often when the outcome is not as they expected for example; waiting longer than they wany; not getting the medication they want; expecting chronic conditions to be "fixed" in an ER visit; or having the physician tell them that they cannot do anything form them.

Someones visit may go as follows: they come in with their child with a cough and fever and have to wait 20 minutes for the current triage; after triaged they have to wait 20 minutes to come back; after coming back they have to wait 20 minutes for the doctor to see them because we have 2 motor vehicle crash victims; a chest pain; a baby being transferred and a pshych patient taking up a bed; we draw blood; it takes 2 attempts; the chest x-ray takes 30 minutes because the MVC victims are being done; Respiratory Therapy does a breathing treatment; we give medication for the fever (generally we have to wait an hour for it to kick in). During all of this time, the child is fussy and crying but VS are stable except the fever. Baby is fussy, and it takes 2 nurses to give the antibiotics; Finally, the fever comes down; the labs are good and the doctor prescribes some more antibiotics and they have to wait for 20 minutes for the discharge paperwork. Baby is still fussy because they are sick, but we cannot make that go away!

After all of this, here is the point of the story, in our perception - this was a totally stable patient and a 3-4 hour ER visit is the norm with everything going on.

The patients story which I heard the next day in the store was: Baby was really sick and it took hours in the ER to even be seen - they did not care that she was crying and hot. When we got in the back the nurses did not even know what they were doing and stuck her twice to get her blood. Even though she was screaming they made us wait forever and then they did not even admit her - they just sent her home with p prescription and told us to give her tylenol, We are never going back to that place!

I know this is a long story, but while I do not want to minimize the risks, on all of the horror stories, how many of them were done by physicians that were not researched; in facilities that were not the greatest; did not comply with pre op and/or post op instructions; had pre existing conditions that they do not disclose on thier stories such as smoking; alcohol or drug usage?? I agree with the others that have posted, the risk of obesity and its health related problems are looming out there and shaking thier fist at us on a daily basis!! We are going into this with great expectations and not without thought and prayer, you can do it.

And, if you ever have a nurse do this again, ask her calmly to take her own pulse before panicking!!!!

I'm not here to judge, or to convince you to have, or not have the surgery. However, I would like to say...please know that we all have to decide for ourselves whether or not you are ready for this life long commitment. Yes, there are success stories & there are the horror stories. I went into this knowing full well that I could end up in the 8% of those of who have it all go wrong. Luckily I ended up in the 92% success ratio. Terrified?! I sure was but I'm glad I went through with it. There will be struggles here & there on the days ahead. I'm willing to accept that & deal with what's ahead. Good luck to those of you who have yet to make the commitment. Know that those of us who went through with the surgery are here for you. Best of luck to all :)

For those who my story has affected, I"m not sorry I've had that effect on your decision, in fact I'm happy that it's made you assess where you are in life and if you are ready at this time for the surgery (or ever). I wish to hell I'd have seen my story prior to my surgery!

My complications were real, and dismissing them lightly frankly peeves me off. So do comments like the walk to the mail box...that's actually not factual. Surgery is high risk, at a minimum 1-400 die, 1-100 have complications from minor to major. Those are high risk numbers for someone with no comorbidity issues. I was telling someone today....cut a hole in your chest and ram a garden hose between your ribs, then make sure its suctioning 24/7 from your lungs....you will now never cheat on a diet again!

I went through hell and back. Serious pain and torture to bring me back to a "maybe you'll make it but we've got six weeks more of concern minimum". 45 days in pain, 22 in high level hospital care, 250,000 in additional costs that most insurance wont cover and I lost 45 days, and almost my entire life with my 6 year old child. I easily could have left him without a mother because of this surgery. I did research the surgeon who has a great reputation (read about dr hodad on line) and paid for the best money can buy. I followed every rule to the letter, and almost died. SO casual dismissals kind of peeve me off frankly.

For me, I wish I'd never put myself at risk. Never. It's not worth it at my weight and my good health. But for others, it's the perfect option. Nicci and I have talked and hopefull Nicci what you got from my chat (gad what drug was I on then LOL) was that yes, likely it's a good option for you BUT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE READY!!!!!!

If you are in doubt, anyone, don't move forward until you arent. It's not chickening out to not be ready. Its using your wisdom to reassess where you are in life and if this is the time for you. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I wish you all the best Nicci. You know that :) When it's the right time for you, it will be the right time. You just do what feels right in your heart!

Dawn

I just wanted to apologize if anyone was offended by my post. I would never take anyones story lightly, or dismiss them, that was not my intention.

Who was your surgeon iggychic?

Sorry if I felt scolding Tara, it wasn't just your comments and I did "get" what you were saying, but when you are one of the "odds" having gone through what I did, it does make one a bit sensative. I dismissed many stories like mine pre surgery because they were so "different" than me. Comorbidity issues, much higher BMI, etc, as is probably human nature when you are trying to talk yourself into a state of comfort, which is why I felt it so important to post my story as I am going through it.

And my previous surrgeon was Dr. Billing in Edmonds Wa. They are a bariatric center of excellence (unless you have a leak than they are a deaf center of morons). :)

As the saying goes, when the bad thing happens to you, the percentages don't matter do they!?! Iggy has had terrible time, and is still in the middle of it so it is still very personal and frankly scary!

So, I am sure this comment will offend some - but i will say it anyway. Surgery, any surgery is a big deal and should not be taken lightly. Weight loss surgery is a really big deal - each of the procedures has significant risks and drawbacks. If you have a chance in hell of getting weight to something reasonable without surgery - for Pete's sake do it!!! It is beyond me why so many relatively young, not very overweight people are taking this risk. To me it is a risk/benefit analysis... and being just "some" overweight and being young enough that you can change the path you are on without the intervention - just do it! When I was in my 20s I too thought I was a healthy fat person - and as was said before, I was healhty until I wasn't - it hit me all at once as well. Arthritis, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and borderline high blood sugar.

The recovery from surgery and getting used to it all is no fun but I have fought the obesity monster for decades and just can't seem to do it on my own. I started out with a 52 BMI and co-morbidities, middle age, I was on the "dying slowly" path with a Detour through "disability land" first so for me, it was worth the risk. Had my BMI been in the 30s, and I was younger, no way would that have made sense for me.

I feel that so many people don't really face the risks and challenges preop. Lately there is alot of focus on complications (the bad news) - I swear when I was preop it was 100% roses and success. Neither of those extremes are true.

What I figured out, and I was a revision from a failed lapband experiment so I have that background too, is that WLS just gives you that shot in the arm to get you off the obesity cycle. It is so easy to regain with all the surgeries (except maybe the DS). I personally know many bandsters AND RNY gastric bypass patients that have regained. I suspect in the next 5-10 years I will know many sleevers who do too. I don't have the answers, but I am pretty eyes wide open as to the problem.

My hunger started returning about 7 months out. Disappointing, but a reality. So far it is not as severe as it was before, but what is clear to me is that the surgery gets you launched, but your ultimate trajectory is up to you.

I am not disappointed because no way could I have gotten under 200# without the surgery and I knew this was a risk up front.

We spend alot of time worrying about dying on the table, getting leaks (very legitimate concerns!) but too little time thinking about living with this for the long run. Take it seriously - both the short term and long term risks/issues but ALSO the risks/issues of keeping the weight. They are both very real - do the math.

I just come out with my Dr. Visit. I ask all kind of question. If you don t have any Magee Heath problems and you do all you are asked to do you will be just fine. This is how I look at it. If it is your time to die you could even die while drinking a glAss of Water or sleeping. The only thing you can do at this point is pray to God to give you the will and straight . If God didn t want you to do that you wouldn't have looked into this and consider having the surgery. GOOD LUCK!

I totally understand how you feel..I have mixed emotions too. I am ready for this stage to be over and I can start my new life.

It is beyond me why so many relatively young, not very overweight people are taking this risk. To me it is a risk/benefit analysis... and being just "some" overweight and being young enough that you can change the path you are on without the intervention - just do it! When I was in my 20s I too thought I was a healthy fat person - and as was said before, I was healhty until I wasn't - it hit me all at once as well. Arthritis, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and borderline high blood sugar.

The recovery from surgery and getting used to it all is no fun but I have fought the obesity monster for decades and just can't seem to do it on my own. I started out with a 52 BMI and co-morbidities, middle age, I was on the "dying slowly" path with a Detour through "disability land" first so for me, it was worth the risk. Had my BMI been in the 30s, and I was younger, no way would that have made sense for me.

CowgirlJane, I can very much relate to most of your post, especially what I quoted above...it was like you were reading my mind...I have 51 BMI, I am 50 years old, have many co-morbidities including type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure...I have also been up and down the scale, but over the decades more up than down...for me, the surgery--even high risk--now seems less risky than remaining as I am, with a high risk for a stroke leaving me permanently disabled...that quality of life is surely worse than living with a smaller stomach and restricted diet...also less of a burden on my loved ones...I very much take this major surgery seriously--which is I why I have waited so long (maybe too long) to proceed

Iggy, what happened to you is one of my worst fears from the surgery, and in no way would I ever downplay your suffering...for me, though, once I have considered the relative risks and made myself as aware and educated as possible, I feel I cannot focus on the worse things that could happen...that will only make my life miserable leading up to the surgery...I am thinking that others feel the same; i.e., once you've come to the decision to proceed despite the known risks, you then just need to pray, leave it to God and do whatever your surgeon advises pre-op to minimize the very-real risks of the surgery

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your surgery. I just wanted to tell you that as a nurse for years, your nurse was very unprofessional and maybe inexperienced. An incident of tachycardia ( yes, heart racing ) is not a reason for a nurse panicking, especially in front of a patient. Many people wake up from surgery and it takes awhile for their vital signs to adjust!

As for the horror stories - you should hear the ones I hear following emergency department visits out and about town. I will hear stories about visits that I was personally present for, and their versions are dramatically different from what I witnessed. That is not to say that in "their" perception they are describing it is not true but often when the outcome is not as they expected for example; waiting longer than they wany; not getting the medication they want; expecting chronic conditions to be "fixed" in an ER visit; or having the physician tell them that they cannot do anything form them.

Someones visit may go as follows: they come in with their child with a cough and fever and have to wait 20 minutes for the current triage; after triaged they have to wait 20 minutes to come back; after coming back they have to wait 20 minutes for the doctor to see them because we have 2 motor vehicle crash victims; a chest pain; a baby being transferred and a pshych patient taking up a bed; we draw blood; it takes 2 attempts; the chest x-ray takes 30 minutes because the MVC victims are being done; Respiratory Therapy does a breathing treatment; we give medication for the fever (generally we have to wait an hour for it to kick in). During all of this time, the child is fussy and crying but VS are stable except the fever. Baby is fussy, and it takes 2 nurses to give the antibiotics; Finally, the fever comes down; the labs are good and the doctor prescribes some more antibiotics and they have to wait for 20 minutes for the discharge paperwork. Baby is still fussy because they are sick, but we cannot make that go away!

After all of this, here is the point of the story, in our perception - this was a totally stable patient and a 3-4 hour ER visit is the norm with everything going on.

The patients story which I heard the next day in the store was: Baby was really sick and it took hours in the ER to even be seen - they did not care that she was crying and hot. When we got in the back the nurses did not even know what they were doing and stuck her twice to get her blood. Even though she was screaming they made us wait forever and then they did not even admit her - they just sent her home with p prescription and told us to give her tylenol, We are never going back to that place!

I know this is a long story, but while I do not want to minimize the risks, on all of the horror stories, how many of them were done by physicians that were not researched; in facilities that were not the greatest; did not comply with pre op and/or post op instructions; had pre existing conditions that they do not disclose on thier stories such as smoking; alcohol or drug usage?? I agree with the others that have posted, the risk of obesity and its health related problems are looming out there and shaking thier fist at us on a daily basis!! We are going into this with great expectations and not without thought and prayer, you can do it.

And, if you ever have a nurse do this again, ask her calmly to take her own pulse before panicking!!!!

I know that the er horror stories are often exaggerated, lol, my mom was an er nurse for many years, now shes an educator. I think she is only against the idea of me having this surgery because they use to teach their er nurses that when a WLS patient comes in with a sense of impending doom chances are the patient will expire. But you're right, soooo much has change in WLS in just the last 10 years alone! I will try to remember what you said if my recovery nurse panics, lol, I was way to groggy to be sarcastic (and her fear poured over in to me. I was hoping she would tell me not to worry about it, that it was another patient but no she admitted it was I whom had the elevated HR, btw thats how out of it I was at that point I couldn't even feel my heart taking off and I'm a sensitive one, my anxiety keeps me in pretty good tune with the rest of my body).

I believe at this point I have decided to move forward and stay on the surgical path. I deserve to have a full and long life, and to enjoy the life I lead without trying to avoid photos and hiding behind someone else on the rare occasion I allow someone to take my picture. I deserve to love what I see in the mirror. I am worthy of all of this, even if I am terrified. I feel like this is a "leap of faith" for me and I just have to trust in my doctors and listen closely to my body so that I get medical intervention if necessary (even if it means finding a different bariatric surgeon post-op because the surgeon who did the procedure isn't listening to me, as Miss Iggychic did! And good for her for continuing to push, she listened to her body and did everything she could to get the help she needed.). 321 lbs isn't ok for my relatively small frame to carry around for long!