Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC ~ October Chat

I just had to post my dinner that i made tonight. It came out really good. My Dr told me to try Spaghetti Squash since I can't eat Pasta. So I did and I really liked it.

I cut a spaghetti squash in half, removed the seeds, put it cut side down in a baking pan with 1/2 inch of Water and baked it at 350 for 45 minutes.

Then I cut a few cloves of garlic and put them in a saucepan with Ground Turkey until cooked with some Italian seasoning and a few other spices to taste, I added a jar of spaghetti sauce and let simmer. Then after the squash cooled down I scraped out the inside of the squash (it comes out in strands like spaghetti) and put it back in the baking dish and covered with the sauce mixture. I put it back in the oven for 20 minutes and it was done. It was a great meal, it tasted so good my mom even took half of it home with her for lunch tomorrow. I have had such a hard time finding new things to cook that I actually liked and this was a good one I'll definitley make it again.

Pebbles,

That sounds yummy. I've been really missing my Pasta. I'll definitely try this, thanks for the recipe!!!

GE Mom, 23 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. I'm at 24 and am happy with my weight loss so far. (although I still have the delusion that I'll just wake up at my goal weight:p ) Although there are a few of you with tremendous losses. What kind of exercise are you doing? And I agree, please fill us in on what you eat in an average day. Maybe there are some changes the rest of us can make to optimize our weight loss as well.

Well darnit! I had my 6-week follow up. I've only lost 3 pounds in the last month according to their scales. :(;) I know I need a fill, but he won't give me one till I find out what's going on with my knee. I hurt it a month ago and the ortho suspects I tore the cartilidge and need surgery to fix it. My band doc said since physical activity is such a key part of losing with the band, he wants to know how complex my knee recovery will be before he gives me a fill. If I need surgery, I'm not having it till after our Disney vacation in December and I'm sure as heck not waiting that long to get a fill! I asked him if I had to wait for the fill till after surgery and he said no, but that he just wants to MRI report first. I'm getting the MRI tonight, so hopefully I can schedule a fill for next week. I want to start losing! :)

I had been walking 2 to 3 miles a day but in the past week my knee started really bothering me, so I'm staying off it. I have an ortho appointment this afternoon, and hopefully he'll be able to fix it. I sure hope I don't have to have surgery. Is there any exercise I can do that doesn't involve my knee? That spaghetti squash dish sounds great -- I always microwave spaghetti squash, and it's done really fast.

What is going on with all of our knees?? I somewhat injured my knee as well after working out for a week on a Stairstepper in July. I did a total of 15 minutes over the course of 5 days). It hasn't returned to normal so I had an MRI last Saturday and will find out the results on Thursday. It is likely a cartlidge tear. I have kept exercising throughout but stopped the walking about 2 weeks ago and moved to light weight training. I lost only 6 pounds last month and have hovered at 201 every since 9/16. I may not have lost pounds but I have definitely lost inches because my clothes are fitting looser. So I must be toning up. I have eaten less, eaten more, exercised, not exercised, returned to liquids only - so I think it is time for my next fill. I cannot eat what I use to but I definitely eat more than right after the procedure. I increased my calories for a few days and gained weight!!! But I still happy with my 29 pound loss! I am down from a size 18W size to a 12W top and 14W pant. Yahoo!

I had been walking 2 to 3 miles a day but in the past week my knee started really bothering me, so I'm staying off it. I have an ortho appointment this afternoon, and hopefully he'll be able to fix it. I sure hope I don't have to have surgery. Is there any exercise I can do that doesn't involve my knee? That spaghetti squash dish sounds great -- I always microwave spaghetti squash, and it's done really fast.

On flying there should be no problems, i was banded on the 8th of aug and flew home three days after. Of course we went through customs hell because that is when they banned the liquids and airport security was code orange. now that was fun!. My new friend justy who was banded the same day did it together. ;)

Can we do abdominal exercises yet? I'd like to get back to my Bowflex, especially since I can't do any arobic stuff because of my knee but don't know how long we have to wait before doing crunches or anything like that. Anyone doing abdominal stuff yet?

This is kinda off subject, but I dropped off my cousin at the airport today. He is headed to Wisconsin and then leaves for Iraq for 1 year on Friday. Today has been a very long and emotional day. His name is Manny and he is forced to leave behind his 3 year old son and his fiance' and a big family that loves him. Please keep him in your prayers I know you dont know me or him but he needs as many prayers as possible and I would GREATLY appreciate your prayers for him. Thanks

Pebbles that is rough. My thoughts are with you and your family.

BUG: Ab exercises - Ortiz asks that you wait 3 months. "Darn", I say.

To Kate and others that wish they were losing faster -- I'm not losing that quickly, but I am losing and I figure that I might be able to avoid needing plastic surgery by losing at a steady, but somewhat slower rate. I have lost 18 lbs in 2 mos since my surgery -- that's 9 lbs per month, or just about 2lbs per week. It isn't easy -- but it's a lot easier with the band than without. I noticed that during "that time of the month," my usually voracious appetite was not nearly as bad as before being banded. Plus, I'm definitely not at optimum restriction yet. I will probably schedule another fill for later this month depending on my progress over the next week or so. I am still getting used to a different type of eating routine -- focusing on Protein, then fruits & veggies, then a little bit of carbs here and there. I have been able to "cheat" with no real problems. That's not necessarily all bad. I still believe that it's okay to have a bit of something sweet now and then. I like that my band is not so tight that I can't keep down "normal" food. I hope I can get a bit more restriction, but I would be thrilled if I could lose 8-9 lbs/month. That would put me at goal in 6 or 7 months. Also, I am not exercising at all -- not because I don't want to, but because I have yet to fit it into my schedule. I've accepted that the band is not a panacea -- but it is making my journey more comfortable and a bit less difficult.

My goal for October -- 8 lbs. Keep up the great work. Y'all are an awesome group and extremely inspirational!!

Thanks Pelorojo, yeah the past few months have been a bumpy road but hopefully soon will all get better. Thank you again

Awww Pebbles, my thoughts are with your family as well. Not an easy time, I know.

As for the weight loss, we should all be proud of our successes. I think we're all doing a great job!!! And when you look at totals on people's posts, try and remember that some of us were on pre-op diets and some were not. And other factors such as age, level of activity, and medical issues, all contribute to how fast or slow a person will lose. I'm very proud of the girls here that lost an exceptional amount of weight. But I'm also proud of myself for my weightloss. Pre band, this would have taken me 6 months.

Peb, I will pray for Manny's safe return home. I wish this all could be resolved soon and all our men and women could come home. I know to some people 40lbs seems like alot, but when you are a super sized bandster like me the first part comes off pretty quick. Most people don't even seem to notice my loss. A few of my regular customers have made comments like, "your face looks thinner", but thats about it. People will notice at my little ones Haloween/Birthday party because I have chosen my most ambitous costume ever. Get ready for this, Marilyn Monroe. Thats right, white dress, blond wig. My Christmas goal has become my goal for Oct. 28th. Wish me luck.

So I had my first fill yesterday. 1mm in a 4mm band (or whatever the metric is) and I'm not sure yet how much restriction it's giving me since I'm still on liquids. I was able to eat anything I wanted before so this should be interesting. Oh...and my weight went back to 373 so only 20 pounds down. This morning it was at 371 so it's bounching all over. I want to get back to the 360's again though.

Josette, don't worry. You'll bounce back.

I'm trying to concentrate on Protein for my meals which is not easy for a carb addict.

Okay, so I'm not the biggest fan of chili, but I made some awesome turkey chili last night. And it was really easy too. My hubby ate it with cornbread ( I was so jealous!!!) But I topped it with shredded fat free cheddar and monterey jack and a dollop of fat free sour cream.

Take 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey and 1 chopped onion and brown in pan with about a teaspoon oil. Drain the excess fat and put in a large crock pot. Add two large cans (32 oz maybe?) of chopped tomatoes, 1 ~ 16 oz can of Tomato sauce, 2 ~ 16 oz cans of red kidney Beans, 1 ~ 16 oz can of black Beans, 1 ~ 16 oz can of pinto beans, 1 ~16 oz can of butter beans and two packets of chili seasoning, like Lawry's or similar brand. Stir the ingredients and put the lid on the crock pot and either set it to low for 7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. That's it!! It made enough for me to freeze several containers of it.

HELP!!!

My soon-to-be sister in law just e-mailed me a pic of the bridesmaid dress I'll be wearing in June!!! I'm a total panic now. Look at it!! It's not a dress for chubby chicks!! How's this for pressure?? And to top it all off, I'm a DD. My boobs are gonna look HUGE in that!!

Please tell me I'm gonna lose enough weight to be able to pull of that dress in public!! I'm mortified!!!

http://billlevkoff.com/collections/index.asp?dress=841