Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC ~ October Chat

Just getting ready for tomorrow. This is the place where we can offer support, ask questions and chat about our band, the changes we experience, NSV's, whatever. Please remember to update your information, (weight changes, fills, etc.) in the "August 2006 ~ Running Totals and Updates" thread in the General Lap Band Discussion section.

Cheers to the ABC!!! WE ROCK!!!:peace: :rockon:

You guys, I've sucked today and yesterday. Totally eating like before I was banded. The sad part is, I don't feel that bad about it and I'm enjoying eating! Hello!? I just paid for this! I was obsessed with getting surgery and now I'm just eating and snacking like it's no big deal!

So I need a fill -- another 2 weeks will be 6 weeks. Guys, tell me the first fill will help some, please? I have the standard 4mm band. I got a little panicky imagining 4-6 months of trying to feel restriction and gaining the whole time. Ah! No!

Pelorojo,

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all slip up now and again. I still find myself sneaking food when no one's around. (hmmmm, and how did I gain so much weight again?:P )

Try and keep yourself on track as best you can until your fill. Knowing you'll be eating more than you should, maybe try a little more activity to burn the extra calories.

The first fill is different for everybody. I lost 4 pounds over the first few days but then nothing. I didn't feel much restriction and scheduled another appointment within the week. (The actual appointment was 3 weeks after my first, so I had to struggle to maintain as well.) Then again, some people feel restriction immediately after the first fill.

Just try your best and don't beat yourself up if you slip up.

Red, I did the same thing, I was 3 weeks out and as soon as the swelling went down I was eating.(and gaining) I had my first fill last Tuesday and I still don't have much restriction. If I don't tighten up pretty quick I am setting my appt for my second fill. Now I am fighting this day to day, moment to moment. I work for my Dad at the family store, and the hardest part is the kitchen. We serve food from 6am to 8pm, fried food, hamburgers, and pretty much anything else that is tempting and awful for you. I try to bring my own food and my Dad is so on my side, but I stand there and cook all day for the customers smelling all that temptation, surrounded by candy, chips, all of the bad convince food. I know this is alot of what made me fat, that and Portion Control, and lack of excercise. I am not made of stone and I am done beating myself up over slipping up on my diet. If I want a bite of something, I'm gonna have it. Then I can move on to my planned meals. I know diets never worked for me and its unrealistic to think I am never gonna eat another oreo or ice cream cone, but I'm not gonna eat the whole bag anymore and it can't be everyday.The good news is I lost the 4lbs I gained back during that third week and knocked off two more to go with them. It is hard to remember this is a process and the weight we lost during that post surgery, pre fill period was just a bonus. Yeah, Us!!!! So I guess my first fill helped a little, and I have heard it can take up to a week to really feel it. I'll let you know if it kicks in.

I just had to share that last night I couldnt sleep was up until 7am. I had a Migraine all day yesterday and all night last night. Well I decided to finally try on my favorite old jeans. I havent worn them in almost 6 years. They were my favorite "goin out" jeans So when I wore them back then they were really tight but thats how i liked them. Well I've tried them on occasionally and couldnt get them past my hips. So last night I decided to try them on and THEY FIT!!!! They were tight but not even as tight as they were when I bought and wore them all the time. I was so happy today I'm gonna pull out some other old favorites and try them on.

I just had to share that last night I couldnt sleep was up until 7am. I had a Migraine all day yesterday and all night last night. Well I decided to finally try on my favorite old jeans. I havent worn them in almost 6 years. They were my favorite "goin out" jeans So when I wore them back then they were really tight but thats how i liked them. Well I've tried them on occasionally and couldnt get them past my hips. So last night I decided to try them on and THEY FIT!!!! They were tight but not even as tight as they were when I bought and wore them all the time. I was so happy today I'm gonna pull out some other old favorites and try them on.

Sorry about the migraine -- it must have been a killer! But congrats on your BIG NSV with the old fave pants, it had to have been a thrill.

Congrats also on your scale victory since banding. WTG!

Jo Ann

Thanks Jahair Yeah Im still pretty excited about it LOL I cant believe they fit. I have a question about flying. I am going to Florida in a few weeks and never thought flying would be a problem. But now all of a sudden everyone keeps asking if I am allowed to fly. It sounds like an odd question to me, but now I am curious so I figured I'd ask. Their arent any restrictions on flying after the band are their. Also another one I was wondering is about riding roller coasters and other rides. If anyone has any answers let me know LOL

I can't imagine why flying would be a problem. You're healed so I don't see what the issue would be. I wouldn't worry about it. And congrats on the jeans!!!:clap2:

Thanks Jahair Yeah Im still pretty excited about it LOL I cant believe they fit. I have a question about flying. I am going to Florida in a few weeks and never thought flying would be a problem. But now all of a sudden everyone keeps asking if I am allowed to fly. It sounds like an odd question to me, but now I am curious so I figured I'd ask. Their arent any restrictions on flying after the band are their. Also another one I was wondering is about riding roller coasters and other rides. If anyone has any answers let me know LOL

I haven't heard any restrictions about flying. In fact, I was scheduled for a plane trip the week after my surgery. When I call the Dr. office they told me it would be no problem, people have flown 2-3 days after surgery. I cancelled that particular trip because I felt it was too early post-surgery for me to fly and get back to work too. But as far as I know, you should not have any troubles on a plane.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann, I'm supposed to be banded by Dr Spivak. Ashamed to say I have cancelled 3X. Is it really working for people? I read so many negative messages, it sounds as hard as really dieting. Does it make dieting easier or not???

Jo Ann, I'm supposed to be banded by Dr Spivak. Ashamed to say I have cancelled 3X. Is it really working for people? I read so many negative messages, it sounds as hard as really dieting. Does it make dieting easier or not???

Lana,

I am one month into my process and you are right, every minute is not always paradise. Keep in mind that if everything is going perfectly, most people do not post, so you are probably going to see a higher percentage of negative comments or problems on this board than there are in the general population of bandsters.

It's important to get into your head that the band itself is not the answer; it requires you to partner with it. The band, even unfilled provides enough restriction for many to lose weight even while healing. Even people who admit to falling off the wagon and eating things they think they should not, have to admit that they cannot eat in the quantities they did before. That might be worth 1/2 the cost of the band, right there.

The weight for most people does not drop as fast as it does for the gastric bypass, but I appreciate that I have the power to maximize my results by doing the things that help in a healthy lifestyle; drink Water, exercise (even walking) on a consistent basis and be conscious of what actually goes into my mouth in terms of portion size. I feel like an active participant in my life and well being.

Personally I could not imagine standing Dr. Spivak up 3 times, he is such a pleasure to be around. But I think we all have fantasies of bolting just before surgery! :P

What exactly is it that happens that makes you back out just before surgery? Are you in touch with that yet? Let me know and we can talk some more about it.

Stay in touch,

Jo Ann

Jo Ann, I really don't know why I bolt at the last minute. I guess I'm scared to a certain degree that it won't help and then I've wasted all this money. My insurance won't pay. Then again maybe I feel like I'm looking for an easy way out of being fat--that's not a maybe really-- I do want an easy way out. And I guess that's part of the problem, I thought it was going to make it easier. Were you asked to go on a diet before your surgery? I keep seeing this in things I read on the web site. I never was asked to diet. Is there someone you talk to, that helps you as you go through this? Or is it just written instructions and you check in once every so many weeks? So glad you wrote back to me. Thanks

Jo Ann, I really don't know why I bolt at the last minute. I guess I'm scared to a certain degree that it won't help and then I've wasted all this money. My insurance won't pay. Then again maybe I feel like I'm looking for an easy way out of being fat--that's not a maybe really-- I do want an easy way out. And I guess that's part of the problem, I thought it was going to make it easier. Were you asked to go on a diet before your surgery? I keep seeing this in things I read on the web site. I never was asked to diet. Is there someone you talk to, that helps you as you go through this? Or is it just written instructions and you check in once every so many weeks? So glad you wrote back to me. Thanks

Hi there!

I was self pay too. Dr. Spivak did not tell me to go on a diet before my surgery, he just told me not to gain weight between our appointment and the day of surgery (about 3 weeks later). I did not tell him I was going on a cruise the next week! But you know, with just a little more control than usual and a policy of I can have anything I want - a taste at a time - I came back from the cruise 2lb. under!

Could it be that you have a fear of success, instead of a fear of failure? What if it all worked out? Would you have to find new stuff to blame for being unhappy? :P

Every one of the posts I have read, hints at our fear of failing on this method. Well meaning people have said to me, "couldn't you just eat less, drink Water and exercise on your own? Then you wouldn't have to pay out all that money. We know that if left to our own devices, we could probably lose the weight (usually about 30lb.) for me, but it always comes back and brings new friends. Plus, I was looking for a life where I got help with Portion Control, my biggest concern. And I didn't have to give up something forever. If my band won't allow bread, maybe it will help with my carb addiction! :clap2: It was the best plan for me all around.

Keep talking to me, maybe we can sort this out. You can go on Private Message if you like.

Jo Ann

So are we posting whether or not we made our Sept goals??? And if we have new ones for Oct????

Well I went from 261-250 in Sept making my loss 11 lbs and my goal was 8.....whooo hoo!!!!!!!!!! My goal for Oct will be 10 lbs since I am having my fist fill tomorrow. So fly right butterfly!! All the way to 240!! :)