Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I was let go from my job. The excuse was to "downsize" I have been quite upset but than it got me thinking maybe I can find a job that has insurance that DOES cover weighloss and maybe this is the plan god has for me. I wasn't going anywhere in the company I worked for and maybe I have a bigger calling. The problem is I have no idea where to start. The job market is not the best. I live in the greater Houston area and I do not speak any spanish. "sigh" I need a sign

Hello, I'm so sorry to hear that happen to you... I pray that you will find another job soon - have you ever considered relocating?? Most insurances cover wls so once you get the new job which ik you will then you can look into doing the wls...

Were all here to be encouragement to each other so as soon as I saw your post I wanted to comment... Good luck & God bless...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

How do you know if the job you get WILL cover wls? I mean its not like I can ask during the interview. My old company did NOT cover it. It was excluded

First, tomorrow you need to file for unemployment. That will meet your needs until you figure out what you are going to do.

Second, it's hard to know what their insurance covers and I wouldn't ask in the interview either. Sites like Glassdoor allow you to network with individuals who work/worked for a company and you can do so anonymously and ask those types of questions.

My question is this: if you get hired somewhere, what are you prepared to do if they don't cover it?

The last time I was fired from a job, I went into business for myself and never looked back. It's something you might consider.

Apply for Medicaid..... They cover wls?!?!? just a thought

Good luck with your job, insurance and sleeve. I know it's a difficult blow, but it will change.

How do you know if the job you get WILL cover wls? I mean its not like I can ask during the interview. My old company did NOT cover it. It was excluded

Well hopefully the next job your get will offer it - good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Today I was let go from my job. The excuse was to "downsize" I have been quite upset but than it got me thinking maybe I can find a job that has insurance that DOES cover weighloss and maybe this is the plan god has for me. I wasn't going anywhere in the company I worked for and maybe I have a bigger calling. The problem is I have no idea where to start. The job market is not the best. I live in the greater Houston area and I do not speak any spanish. "sigh" I need a sign

Hey, just read your message. We're in the same city. I don't know what side of town you live on, but all the following systems provide WLS benefits: Memorial Hermann System (there are 7 hospitals, one on each side of the city), The Methodist Hospital System (4 hospitals), Harris County Hospital District (3 hospitals, 21 clinics), and Texas Children's Hospital (2 hospitals, many clinics, wonderful company, excellent benefits). You could start looking online for vacancies in these systems. As I said before, you're pretty safe from downsizing in the hospitals, unless you're in an executive position. The further away you are from patient interaction, the less stabile. Good Luck. I know you'll find a job somewhere in one of the hospitals, it's the Texas Medical Center.

I applied at memorial hermann' date=' methodist, texas childrens, md anderson and st lukes today. I live in the cypress area[/quote']

Great, those hospitals cover WLS. I'm a little unsure about Anderson, but I know they covered it about 10 years ago. I live in Cypress too. The drive is less than ideal, but a lot of the hospitals in the med center subsidize transportation and parking expenses. (park and rides, vanpools, etc.) Good Luck!

I live in Houston, too. Are you in the medical profession? If not, the look for companies that provide insurance with companies that do cover it. I know that United Health Care and Cigna do, if you jump through hoops and stand on your head while twirling a baton.....maybe other members here know of other insurance companies that cover it. I looked into Medicare/Medicaid and if I remember right, they cover bypass but not the sleeve.

Also since you live in Cypress, don't forget about all the hospitals on the West side of Houston, like the one at I-10 & Barker Cypress.

Good luck dear - I've been in those shoes and IT AIN'T FUN!!!! But it WILL be okay.