Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be traveling to the happiest place on earth a meer 39 days after surgery. Doc already said it would be okay to fly but took out vacation insurance just in case. Has anyone had any experience with dining in Disney so soon after surgery. I spoke with their dining department today and they basically said if my family wants to visit a buffet (character dining) I have to pay the full price even though I won't be able to eat much. She said that I can ask the manager at the time if I could pay the child's cost but they don't have to grant it. I hate to make my kids miss out on this experience or me miss out on them at the experience. Any advice on Disney dining would be appreciated. We have a suite with a fridge so we are ordering food for the room, milk for kiddies, sugar free ice pops, Water, etc! Thanks for your help.

My wife and I both have the surgery, her for 4 years, myself 1 week. We have had many restaurants accept for her to order from the kids menu while once in a while the server may say no. As far as a specialty buffet as Disney character you will have to pay. I would try to speak with the manager, if possible the day before to see if they could assist you. FYI Disney insurance covers the surgery, so someone in there may know a fellow employee that may have it that would understand. Just saying.

I'm about 39 days post op and I honestly feel no different than before surgery other than not being able to finish an entire plate of food. My sleeve has tolerated food well so hopefully yours will too and you won't have any trouble eating at Disney. It will suck having to pay for meals, but if you get something that'll keep refridgerated, you can get multiple meals of it and maybe save some money that way. I went to a restaurant and ordered lasagne. I ate what I could (about 1/2cup) and took the rest home. It would have last 6 meals for sure, but I got sick of it and threw it out first. Sorry I'm not more help about the actual Disney part!

We went when I was 4 months out. At all of the restaurants we went to the managers only charged me the child's price. My husband would talk to the manager when we first got in the restaurant.

I took cheese and Protein bars with me to eat throughout the day. I also took my Protein powder and shaker along and had a shake every morning and sometimes at night. This helped me to keep up my strength up during the day because of the enormous amount of walking. I drank a ton of Water. I did just fine and had a great time, better than any of the other times we went! I don't know how I would have done a month out, probably would have had to take more breaks during the day.

I'm stubborn. My work schedule only allows me to go 1st week of November (I refuse to go during the summer) and I dont want to put off the surgery so I'm doing both within 39 days of each other. I figure if worst comes to worst, I can rent a scooter with all the money I'm saving on food.! Lol

I'm pre op but since I started looking into vsg I have been lookin at the kids menus at my fave restaurants. I've noticed a trend about items on the kids menu being highly processed or high carbs (breaded items, pizza, burgers)...I would go to a nice restaurant and just order from the regular menu. Get something High Protein and tweak it if u need to (example: if u get a burger ask them to remove the bun and hold the fries)

I'm pre op but since I started looking into vsg I have been lookin at the kids menus at my fave restaurants. I've noticed a trend about items on the kids menu being highly processed or high carbs (breaded items' date=' pizza, burgers)...I would go to a nice restaurant and just order from the regular menu. Get something High Protein and tweak it if u need to (example: if u get a burger ask them to remove the bun and hold the fries)[/quote']

Kids menus are terrible!!!

Not only are they crap, they're always the same.

You can also look at appetizers. Sometimes they have meat skewers and stuff like that.

Appetizer route sounds like the best option. Guess I should start looking at the menus for the restaurants we will be going to.

Most restaurants at Disney are buffet & don't have appetizers. Just the little "quick bites" places have things like McD, Chick Fil A, etc. Usually it is just a flat price per person, we've done both the dining plan & without. Spent far more without the dining plan than with. :-)

Robyn

Try ordering off the side menu. It's cheaper and the right size. :)

I was moving out of FL about 1 month after and wanted to take my daughter one last time before we left...so I did! Most of the restaurants also have a menu (you dont have to do the buffet) if they do, just order from the menu and get Soup (or something else) small. The other tip I did was order hot tea and that took time to eat and I was able to sit and enjoy my tea while the family ate. On the last morning at our hotel the waiter actually let me go up and get oatmeal and nuts from the buffet with my tea at no charge. Just depends but you can always work around it!!! Good luck!!!!

We are actually going to Disneyland in the next week or so.... I will bee 3 weeks post op. I feel fabulous however I am very concerned on the eating situation!

If you end up at the non-buffet spots, some suggestions:

Chinese food- egg drop Soup

Mexican fast food- refried Beans and ask for a scoop of taco meat or chicken to be added.

Chick-fil-a kids meal... order the grilled chicken nuggets and fruit cup.

McDonald's... order the grilled chicken snack wrapper with no sauce or lettuce. Eat the grilled chicken and the little bit of shredded cheese.

if you do end up at the buffet... look for boiled shrimp, grilled chicken skewers, beef kabobs, etc. I would personally slip a few items into my purse to take back to the hotel fridge.

Make sure you pack shakes and crystal light. Find a grocery store and pick up string cheese, hard boiled eggs, low sodium lunch meat, etc.

Have fun!