Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is a really strange thing to ask....but I am embarrassed to ask anyone else. I have been researching and have decided on VSG (my first appt with the surgeon is 9/20)....and I feel like since I have made this decision I am so happy and excited for a real chance to succeed this time with weight loss....BUT I also feel like since I made the decision I can't stop eating. I feel like I eat all the time and just stuff myself. Is this just my head "hoarding" food? ? I feel like an idiot.

I would appreciate any feedback.

It's very common during the "decision making" and pre-op phase. In my experience, I went on an all out binge, because psychologically, I was mourning food. It's also referred to as a "food funeral". Some people are able to get control of themselves, and others aren't able to until it's time to start the pre-op diet. I'm sure many people will post with similiar stories. This decision is a big deal, and if you're an emotional eater, it's only natural that you may deal with it this way. Good Luck!

right now....it is safe and comfortable to do what we always do to protect ourselves......some where in side of you is the reason why you feel safe the way you are now......it took me years to figure out what my triggers were that made me heavy......you will figure them out as well...don't be so hard on yourself.....this is a journey to discover the new you...it won't happen over night.....but you have started that journey and are in a forward motion.....congratulations! :)

I ate like crazy the week I made my decision too. Finally got control of myself!! My first appointment with the surgeon is September 11.

height : 5 ft, weight: 270, BMI: 53 Cant wait to get sleeved!

Opinions on this vary quite a bit around here. I for one ate like a horse till I was required to stop for my pre-op diet. I don't know that it hurt or helped, but I do know that. By the time surgery came around I was already pretty sick of food in general.

I did exactly the same thing, for me it was like I finally felt something was going to work for me so I gave up fighting the daily battle of watching what I ate day in day out. I put on alot of weight in a short time because I ate anything & everything. Dont stress about it too much. All I can say is it will come off once you have been sleeved, believe me. Ive lost all I put on plus more & Im only 2 weeks out. best of luck to you xx

I know this is a really strange thing to ask....but I am embarrassed to ask anyone else. I have been researching and have decided on VSG (my first appt with the surgeon is 9/20)....and I feel like since I have made this decision I am so happy and excited for a real chance to succeed this time with weight loss....BUT I also feel like since I made the decision I can't stop eating. I feel like I eat all the time and just stuff myself. Is this just my head "hoarding" food?? I feel like an idiot.

I did the same..but stopped 2 days before because I didn't wanna go through withdrawal. I had pizza, wings, mcdonalds big Mac fillet o fish, mcchicken, their pies, cheesecake, brownies..not all in one day of course lol! But after eating all that I realized how sick I felt emotionally and physically and how I never wanna feel this way again! We all go through it, just remember that there's a goal we need to keep our eyes on.

I agree with above but also suggest some therapy to help :) I'm worried the uncontrollable eating will jeopardise the safety of my sleeve post-op so I want to get a handle on it pre-op... At 1-2 years out we may gain weight otherwise!

I am definitely in the catagory of eating everything in sight when I got my date. I had to fight to only put on 5 pounds before surgery. Looking back, I wish I was one of the people required to do a pre-op diet. I think they might have a slightly better time at the transition from pre to post op. But I have to say- I'm 6 days out and definitely not hungry anymore. Hope that feeling stays with me. But I have also been getting a therapy called EMDR which has really helped finding the root causes behind my overeating. Let's face it- some to most of us are here because of what's going on in our heads not in our bodies. But great question- it's always nice to know you are not alone.

I ate things pre op that I knew I wouldn't have for a long time -like crusty bread- sweets-steak and I'm glad I did. I thought it was wrong at the time but it was okay. I wish I had investigated Protein Drinks ahead of time though - that would have helped. Great site is eggface - she has great ideas for post op diet. Goodluck

Haha lol @ butterthebean!!! I figure I've eaten enough to last me a lifetime :)

Opinions on this vary quite a bit around here. I for one ate like a horse till I was required to stop for my pre-op diet. I don't know that it hurt or helped' date=' but I do know that. By the time surgery came around I was already pretty sick of food in general.[/quote']

That is sooooo me! I gained a lot during my 6 month NUT- I knew in some ways in the beginning I gave myself permission to eat what I wanted but then it seemed so crazily out of control (more than normal). But I, too, was ready to start pre op last Wednesday - earlier than I was even required to. Maybe by the time I have surgery on the 12th I'll have lost a couple pounds of the damage I did. Although- I'm not all that worried about it.

I know this is a really strange thing to ask....but I am embarrassed to ask anyone else. I have been researching and have decided on VSG (my first appt with the surgeon is 9/20)....and I feel like since I have made this decision I am so happy and excited for a real chance to succeed this time with weight loss....BUT I also feel like since I made the decision I can't stop eating. I feel like I eat all the time and just stuff myself. Is this just my head "hoarding" food?? I feel like an idiot.

Hi, I'm not clear on reply yet, so please bear with me, it must be good to be able to eat what you won't be able to eat after the opn, I am having to keep my weight of because if I put a 1lb on even, the op will be cancelled. I live in the UK and am having my opn on the nhs.

I have been waiting for my op for 18 month since the first appointment and had to loose 11 lb before I could attend the seminar, I have lost nearly 2 stone and am struggling to keep to this loss and to loose some more before my pre opn diet. This annoys me because the reason I am getting a sleeve is because I find it so hard to keep the weight I loose off because I get really hungry. I am expected to do this to show I am serious, I think I have done that lol, hope you manage to do the pre op diet OK, and everything goes well with your sleeving, Janet, x

My surgeon says that the reason for the pre op diet is to shrink the liver...the liver lays over the stomach and it has to be lifted up so they can get to your stomach....they have a tool that holds the liver in place...but if the liver is not smaller it puts stress on the tool and on your entire system........plus your stomach is already shrinking due to the pre op surgery....

every surgeon seems to have his own plan...and reasons for what they say and do....it can be very confusing!