Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hispanic/latino Sleevers?

Mexican here and was sleeved a month ago. Still trying things. Aver what happens.

I'm colombian and salvadoran & just thinking about what I won't be able to eat after the sleeve or even tolerate is a little bumming. (Which im praying i have my surgery by the end of december.) That means no bandeja paisa or pupusas, lol! food brings us together. My family is already talking about what were going to cook for thanksgiving & Christmas!!

Awesome thread Hispanic here. I was worried about the food as well I'm getting nervous too. I'm worried about the heartburn,spices,chili powder and tortillas. Aahhhh

I'm colombian and salvadoran & just thinking about what I won't be able to eat after the sleeve or even tolerate is a little bumming. (Which im praying i have my surgery by the end of december.) That means no bandeja paisa or pupusas' date=' lol! food brings us together. My family is already talking about what were going to cook for thanksgiving & Christmas!![/quote']

I hear that! I'm Colombian too and those bandejas are yummy. Even though I haven't had them in a long time I know who delish they are... Pupusas are good too. I know it's going to be a mental thing and it won't be easy. I'm not sleeved yet but I heard you don't really feel so much hunger or crave the same things.... So who knows but im sure we can do this.

I'm colombian and salvadoran & just thinking about what I won't be able to eat after the sleeve or even tolerate is a little bumming. (Which im praying i have my surgery by the end of december.) That means no bandeja paisa or pupusas, lol! food brings us together. My family is already talking about what were going to cook for thanksgiving & Christmas!!

Yummmmmm pupusas are my favorite , I was sleeved 9/17 and my cravings are the same , I guess eventually I will be able to have a pupusa or half of one .... where before I would eat 5 at a time .....

Oooh girl....who are you telling.... It's like when we are eating something so good, a zombie overtakes us and then we just ear like a cookie monster... Lol... But I know I have to learn and change my mindset...

Omg! Will I ever be able to enjoy a tamale? Well maybe just the inside of it..lol

My wife is West Indian and Cuban and I am African American so I feel your pain. I am hoping to get sleeved either late October or early November. That means no arroz con grandules, codfish fritters and cocquito, as well as the traditional southern foods my family prepares for me this year. My wife and I are thinking about going away for the holidays so I won't be tempted to cheat.

From what I heard from a friend who I know personally who was sleeved a couple of months ago, she can eat anything she wants except ofcourse a few bites and thats it. She said she gets full right away so I guess it won't be so bad... Hmmm coquito, haven't had that in ages... One of my Puerto Rican aunts makes that delish....

Sent from my htc evo 3D using VST

I have been wanting mofongo... Yum! But too many carbs' date=' and its fried, and chicharron. I'm sure I can do the Plantains boiled, but its not the same.[/quote']

Mofongo is da bomb!

Well i am so glad for everyone post' date=' i have had some of the same questions . Well what i miss is home made tacos because i can not eat tortillas, sopes. Or pan dulce. Well i am 6 months out and i am stuck at the same weight , also i miss my margaritas.[/quote']

Hi I miss all the same things. I also miss pozole, aroz con pollo, tamales de puerco. Mmmm makes me head hungry...

I make the coquito but my wife makes everything else. I know the holidays are going to be the hardest for me. After New Years, I'll be fine. Even if I am not sleeved by the holidays, I will have to use self control.

My wife makes a dish with boiled maduros and a little ground beef. Maybe that is a solution.

Sondas like a great solution... And you will do great during the holidays.... Just be you , have fun and eat slowly.... Don't ne hard on yourself.. we are at times to hard on ourselves, feel bad and then go eat... Not a good plan. Lol. But oh please share your coquito recipie w me. N you are so lucky to have a wife that cooks so good.

Sent from my htc evo 3D using VST

There are any ways, but to cheat a little you can use the following:

Depending on how much you want to make:

1-2 32 oz containers of egg nog, you can also make it from scratch but this way is quicker.

1-2 15 oz cans of cream of coconut

1-2 14 oz cans of condensed milk

1/2-3/4 liter total of Bacardi dark rum and Myers rum ( I like it strong, but you can use less depending on you taste). You can leave out the Myers, I do that as a homage to my wife's WI heritage.

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon- (I use fresh ground cinnamon)

1/4 teaspoon of cloves

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (again I use fresh ground)

Blend all the ingredients together and refrigerate for 2 hours. shake well, serve and enjoy. I garnish the glass with a fresh cinnamon stick.

Yes, it is great to have a wife who cooks so well, she also owns her own bakery. Now you see my dilemma.

Enjoy the recipe