Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Day At The Gym

And I didn't entirely hate it!

I was sleeved 8/14 and had been doing some exercise at home (swimming and walking) but finally got my nerve up to go. I used the treadmill and tried a few machines. I am excited to do this, however, I am not entirely convinced that it is a "judgement free zone" like they advertise... I felt a little judged.

Does your gym offer classes? I have found those so much more fun than pumping Iron and bouncing on the treadmill with all of the crazies!

I have taken an aerobics "body pump class" and LOTS of Water aerobics classes, they are a riot!

I hated going to the gym, at first. What made it better, was I put on headphones, with some really upbeat music, and lip synced to every song! I'm in my own little world, if someone chooses to judge me, I know that they have NO IDEA where I started, and how much weight I have lost.

Most people are so concerned with themselves, that they are not judging you. They may have something, that you don't even notice, that they feel you are judging because it is so noticeable to them.

Plus...the endorphin rush after a good workout, is AMAZING!!

............ I am excited to do this, however, I am not entirely convinced that it is a "judgement free zone" like they advertise... I felt a little judged.

Yuck! You must go to a Planet Fitness! They ARE judgmental if you don't lift weights like they do and look like they do. That's a bunch of marketing BS on their part if you ask me. I got a temporary (one month) membership there close to home over the Christmas/New Years break last year. I usually workout on my lunch break and it's out of town given that I work out of town. Since I was off a few weeks for the holidays, I figured I'll just get the one month membership at Planet Fitness and pay a little extra just because I was just starting back after my surgery and it would be important to get off on the right foot out of the gate post-op. Mistake on my part! Not for exercising, just exercising at PlanFit. My second trip there (and my last), I barely made a tad bit of noise setting the weights down.....off goes the Lunk Alarm and everyone stops what they are doing and looks at me! What a load of crap! When lifting, people should give "effort". When giving "effort", I pretty much go to failure, that's the only way I get benefits from lifting. So when I put some weights down after giving "effort", it may be difficult to place it on the rack ever so gently.....shame on me! I get it that people don't like the guys that yell and clank weights with every rep....and I don't like it either. But they have gone way overboard with their Lunk rule. Also, way too many people at my local PlanFit that are orange and fake looking. So I left and told them this just isn't the place for me. I just stick with my great gym close to work now and may just take a couple of weeks off this holiday season. Sorry, I had to chime in once I read that part of your post and I may be a little bitter towards Planet Fitness and their absurdity. Carol, keep up the good work and do whatever you need to do to motivate yourself at the gym, and you will be just fine!

That's what I love about the "Y". There's every age and body type, from a 70 year old grandpa to a 20 year old young co-ed. Seriously though, those grandmas are a beast when it comes to Water aerobics, they're "cliquish" too. You have to be a part of the "Cool Kids Club for Seniors".

Also' date=' way too many people at my local PlanFit that are orange and fake looking.[/quote']

Lol at "orange and fake looking".

I just read all of your replies., thank you for the support!

Those grannies are beast! That's where i felt judged. Lol. I joined planet fitness for the price, $99 for 1 yr. i figure if I go with my best friend it will be more enjoyable.

Whatever works, right?

I stayed a year at PF and what made all the difference in the world was keeping my eyes closed while doing my cardio and my reps. Besides really improving form, posture and balance, it lets people know I don't care if they're looking. I wasn't there for THEM. And I have to agree that the Y is a much friendlier, more helpful environment. Can't wait to get back to it.

Carolc, I know just how you feel. I was always hesitant about going to a gym because every(body) there look as if they did not have to do a gym. And they sometimes stare at you and start giggling, snickering etc. Well, I told myself if I can go butt naked in an O.R. and have several people see me and ALL my jelly rolls, hey, I should be able to go to a gym (jelly rolls covered of course) and get those rolls in shape and not give one damn about who is laughing, giggling and such. Don't judge me when you have no idea what could be going on. Don't judge me when (and I'm pretty sure of this one): you more than likely had a few rolls on your body. They way I'm looking at it is, when I meet my goal the laughs will be on them and I will sashay my new beautiful butt (and body) right out the door saying 'get me body'.... hello B).

I did not ask your permission. I did not solicit your advice. I damn sure DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL! ^_^.

Ok I am off the soap box, reckon I too needed to vent.

Do what you have to do for you. I'm with you... we all are. Oh yeah, I started my gym program on Wedensday and I felt good ... and tired. :huh::mellow:. Let's do this!!! :P:D

Carolc' date=' I know just how you feel. I was always hesitant about going to a gym because every(body) there look as if they did not have to do a gym. And they sometimes stare at you and start giggling, snickering etc. Well, I told myself if I can go butt naked in an O.R. and have several people see me and ALL my jelly rolls, hey, I should be able to go to a gym (jelly rolls covered of course) and get those rolls in shape and not give one damn about who is laughing, giggling and such. Don't judge me when you have no idea what could be going on. Don't judge me when (and I'm pretty sure of this one): you more than likely had a few rolls on your body. They way I'm looking at it is, when I meet my goal the laughs will be on them and I will sashay my new beautiful butt (and body) right out the door saying 'get me body'.... hello B).

I did not ask your permission. I did not solicit your advice. I damn sure DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL! ^_^.

Ok I am off the soap box, reckon I too needed to vent.

Do what you have to do for you. I'm with you... we all are. Oh yeah, I started my gym program on Wedensday and I felt good ... and tired. :huh::mellow:. Let's do this!!! :P:D [/quote']

Coolbreeze, i may need to borrow your soap box. I love your attitude and I am glad that I am not alone with the whole naked, OR thing! That really stressed me out thinking about all of those eyes seeing my naked flab...THE HORROR!

You people are the best, so glad to be losing with you.

Carolc, I know just how you feel. I was always hesitant about going to a gym because every(body) there look as if they did not have to do a gym.

Sometimes...the people who look as if they do not need to go to a gym are ex-fatties or even post-op patients. There have been several people at support group, that when they got up to speak, I was thinking, what do they know about being fat and needing bariatric surgery? Sure enough, they were post op patients. One girl even works as a Zumba instructor. You never know...

Sometimes...the people who look as if they do not need to go to a gym are ex-fatties or even post-op patients. There have been several people at support group' date=' that when they got up to speak, I was thinking, what do they know about being fat and needing bariatric surgery? Sure enough, they were post op patients. One girl even works as a Zumba instructor. You never know...[/quote']

Yeah, I have found that at my gym.

We are always worried about what people are thinking about us, and they are thinking the same thing. Even the so called "perfect people" in the gym have something they don't like about themselves. Everyone does. I say just go enjoy your workouts and let everyone else worry. We have come so far to be worried about what everyone at the gym is thinking about us.

Ok I have to ask, what's a lunk alarm?

You're right Debsii and fluffylibra, I know that I am super sensitive about my appearance and tend to assume that I am being judged. Sometimes I am wrong and unfortunately sometimes I am right. I spent a lot of time as an average size person and as I gained over 100 lbs in less than a year, I saw and felt how cruel people become simply because of appearance. I guess it still stings...i need a self esteem work out!! :)

Thanks all

You're right Debsii and fluffylibra' date=' I know that I am super sensitive about my appearance and tend to assume that I am being judged. Sometimes I am wrong and unfortunately sometimes I am right. I spent a lot of time as an average size person and as I gained over 100 lbs in less than a year, I saw and felt how cruel people become simply because of appearance. I guess it still stings...i need a self esteem work out!! :)

Thanks all

[/quote']

If someone has enough time to stare at me or judge me at the gym, they clearly arent working out hard enough!