Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

I was banded on October 4th and feel pretty good. Down 10 pounds already. My surgeons recommendations is liquids for 3 days, mushies for 4 days, soft foods for 3 weeks then regular food. I am on mushie, and I am supposed to only eat 1/4 cup per meal 3 times per day. From a hunger standpoint its ok, because I have not been that hungry but by my math if I eat a total of 3/4 a cup of nonfat cottage cheese per day its only 105 calories. No wonder I have lost 10 pounds. Does this sound right to you all?

Bigboy our nutritionists told us to aim for 600-800 calories during this time frame and to make sure that we are getting in 60g of Protein. They also said to mostly focus on your liquids the first week out because we probably wouldn't have an appetite, and to avoid dehydration. I had no appetite the first week, lost 17 lbs (wow!), and really had to force myself to eat anything. I was maybe eating 350 calories a day, but did drink a lot of Water during this time. But one week to the day from surgery my appetite came back and now I am doing my best to decipher real hunger from head hunger, and to stay within the calorie range they gave us. It is hard to do that and get in the protein without one or two Protein Drinks a day. If you're not supplementing the cottage cheese with protein drinks or broth or something, personally I do think 105 calories is waaay to low.

Hey All!

Banded Oct. 6th, this is my 4th day out as well, and feeling a bit human again! The gas pain seems to be gone. However, I have this random pain in the upper abdomen that spreads into the chest. I can't figure out if it is the band on the stomach causing this pain, or I am kidding myself and it's still more gas. The big news: NO MORE NAUSEA! Yahoo!

Anyhow, took a shower, dressed in real clothes, went shopping to get my daughter foundation garments for Homecoming, did dishes, walked dogs. It's almost like I'm a real person again!

Eating is still a bit of a problem, liquids, dollop of yogurt, half of a little cup of applesauce, broth and about a 1/3 cup of very diluted cream of wheat. It literally took me all day long to get that much in. This must be what anorexics do. I guess that's what we paid for. Good news is, another pound gone, woo-hoo!

Jess

weight.png

Hi Jess

I also had my surgery on 10/6..... I posted earlier stating this is my best day yet.... I also get the upper chest pain, I believe it is still gas.... mine only last a second at a time, but it still hurts.....

I noticed you've already lost 20 pounds......:wow2: Great Job....I've lost 10....... I'm still on clear liquids, have been since the day before surgery.... and will be till thursday, when I have my follow up.... Glad to hear your doing great!!!

Joanne

Great to hear about everyone's successful banding!

I have a question about how you all felt on day 2 because I plan on driving myself home from the hospital on post-op day 2 (I'll stay overnight at the hospital). I live 3 hours away. Is this a realistic plan or will I be in too much pain or grogginess?

Aza

I drove on Monday.... 3 days post-op..... it was sooooo NOT comfortable.... I went to Walgreens then back home, then drove to work.... trust me, I wasn't driving fast at all.... and making the turns was discomforting also..... I ended up having my husband drive me to work on Tuesday... and today I"m fine... drove myself.

If you didn't have to drive so far.... I would say as long as you didn't get on the freeway... maybe 2 days post-op..... but one day post-op, driving for 3 hours.... that's going to be too much for you....in my opinion

Joanne

Great to hear about everyone's successful banding!

I have a question about how you all felt on day 2 because I plan on driving myself home from the hospital on post-op day 2 (I'll stay overnight at the hospital). I live 3 hours away. Is this a realistic plan or will I be in too much pain or grogginess?

I wouldn't think it would be a good idea. Try and organise for someone else to drive you or else book a motel near the hospital for a day or two.

I was still in hospital until Day 3, in pain and groggy. I felt dizzy until Day 5. Still don't fancy driving at 1 week out, due to shoulder pain. You may recover better than I did, but you'd be better off not having to drive IMO.

I drove about 15 minutes on my 2rd day Post Op. Alittle more on day 3. But it's not so easy. My port incision is right at the crease of my waist. So sitting for any extended amount of time is difficult. Especially sitting and leaning forward, ouchy. Also, stamina has been a problem for me. I went shopping at Target and Trader Joe's yesterday (Day 5 Post-Op) and it wiped me out. It was difficult to even drive myself home because I was so exhausted. And the shoulder pain when I drive is TERRIBLE!

If you really can't get someone to drive you home, maybe you could plan a scenic route home and take breaks every 30minutes to an hour to rest and recharge. (My surgeon recommends getting up to walk every hour or 2 in the early post op stage to aid in healing and prevent blood clots.) It may take longer than 3 hours to get home but at least you'll be safe.

Today is Day 6 Post Op for me. I'm going back to work today. Wish me luck!

Morning Bandits! I was banded on th 4th and for the most part have been doing pretty well. I had the initial post surgery gas pain, but the last 3 days my shoulders (especially my left one) have been KILLING me! I am at

work and all I had was a cup of coffee and a Protein Drink this am. It seems like the shoulder pain is more associated with eating, though this could be my imagination. I am talking feel like I am having a heart attack left shoulder, about to go home and take a pain pill, about to tear up:cry kind of pain. (Not a wimp either, btw) Any ideas? Do we think this is still surgery gas???? :help: Thanks buddies!!!

Hi Kayleesmom

I really don't know about the shoulder pain.... mine was in my back... and it was the worst!!!!!!! :cry ... but it was definately gas, it wasn't from eating... I'm still on Clear Liquids.< /span>

Try walking around, moves the gas around, or even just standing up sometimes helps.... let's the gas come out. :clap2: .... most of mine is gone, my back doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as it did... I still get the chest pains periodically throughout the day though.... that sucks.

Don't know if I was any help

Joanne

Kayleesmom, I have not been banded yet, will on tuesday. But I have had shoulder pain before and it feels like you dislocated your shoulder. So I think it is still from the gas inside your body. But if you are worried call your DR. and just ask the nurses. It will make you feel so much better just knowing you are right. Good Luck and I love reading everyones posts on here, I will I'm sure be on here this coming week asking ????????'s too! Good Luck to all that is to be banded!!!! Mary

Kayleesmom I still have some gas pains and I was banded on the 2nd. It's my left shoulder and every once in a while it will just kill me! The gas was definitely the worst part for me!

AZA - there is no way I could have driven myself home from the hospital. First of all, I was on loads of pain meds. Secondly, it was uncomfortable to sit in certain positions because of the incisions and port. I would try and have someone be there to drive you home if at all possible.

Just a shout out to all our bandsters getting banded this week. Good luck! Let us know when you're home and on the road to recovery!

Just got done drinking the stuff to clean me out. I'm getting super nervous. This time tomorrow I should be in bandland. I'll keep you all posted.

Okay guys, I am two days out from surgery 10:30am on Friday. I am getting excited. I am so tired of stuffing my face i can't stand myself. The funny thing is that I have been eating so much and i have lost 3 lbs, go figure...lol. I have had lap sugery before for female stuff and i too had pain really bad in my shoulder. I would have to lay down for a few mins to get rid of it. But this is worth the pain, NO PAIN, NO GAIN or LOSS depends on how you look at it. I am looking forward to making my husband wait on me......lol.