Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Is So Hard

I am 3 weeks post op and trying so hard to get calories in. I am cleared to have tender meat and ground meat, but every time I do I literally feel like I'm going to throw up. I need to sit there for about twenty minutes until the discomfort goes away. Has anyone else experienced difficulty like this? Does it ever get easier to eat?

Omg dont tell me that! I start food next week and I'm terrified of that!

I'm 4 weeks out and yes, it gets easier... I've actually cried over this food thing... I have to chew and chew and chew and wait and wait and wait... It takes me 20 minutes or so just to eat a little bit of food and then sometimes it feels like it's sitting in the middle of my chest and I have to wait for it to go down... My mom had this done last October and she eats what she wants when she wants... She keeps telling me that this is the hardest time and to just stick with it... It gets better, really...

I have the same problem, it just feels like its sitting in my chest and isn't moving. And I know we aren't supposed to drink for 30 minutes after meals but all I want to do is chug Water and force the food down. I've cries about it too. It's so depressing and definitely not easy to get used to :(

Yeah...same here....meat is not fun for me right now...I am sticking with shrimp. Beef, chicken, turkey all not happy in my sleeve yet... just figure it out...and you'll have to do it as a "trial and error" experiment unfortunately. I am soo with you....I'm having my only little personal food struggle right now.. and I'm not even hungry!

I'm only a week and a half out and I'm craving my bad foods. I have no problem eating. Is that at all normal?

Is it easier if you add wet to it (ketchup, BBQ Sauce? )

I saw an xray of my esophogus and it was so skinny i can see this happening

I was told not to drink 30 minutes either side of eating too but my NUT said that if I needed a sip of Water to help things rinse down, that was OK... Hope this gets better for you...

I am 3 weeks post op and trying so hard to get calories in. I am cleared to have tender meat and ground meat, but every time I do I literally feel like I'm going to throw up. I need to sit there for about twenty minutes until the discomfort goes away. Has anyone else experienced difficulty like this? Does it ever get easier to eat?

I have these feelings when I a). eat too quickly

B). eat too much

Try taking tiny bites, chewing like mad, and taking LOTS of time eating. At 11 weeks post-op, I eat roughly 1/2 cup at a "meal", and take between 30-45 minutes to eat it (if I want to avoid the discomfort you describe).

Best of luck

Laura

I'm only a week and a half out and I'm craving my bad foods. I have no problem eating. Is that at all normal?

What exactly are you eating? Do you mean your blended/pureed foods? Have you started this stage early?

Soups, pudding, Jello, Popsicles, and shakes. I'm on soft foods for 5 weeks. I think it's hard just being around other people enjoying their food. I probably shouldn't have visited family this weekend.