Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Cheating Worry...am I Going To Be Ok?

My procedure was set and cancelled several times. Several times I started full liquid diet and fell off for a few days when they got cancelled. I picked myself back up and continued with Protein Shakes about 35% of the time...up to 50% of the time since May 2012. This month, I have been more broke than usual, and had planned to eat out a bit with the twins, in preparation for the pre-op diet...but I was unable to have enough money to do anything at all...we're lucky to have toilet paper and milk...truly.

So, knowing my 14 day diet was here, and that I felt a real need to have that free time to relax and not worry about Protein shakes or anything a bit...I gave myself a cheat day on day 4...which was yesterday...and I was so stuffed that I could not sleep. We had chinese chicken and broccoli for lunch with egg rolls and those red chicken things on a stick....and then bbq chicken pizza at Knoebles park for dinner and during the evening....I felt absolutely horrible all night, and used metamucil and hot tea to clean myself out...and felt I did not have any desire to eat anything not on my pre-op diet.

So...that brings us to the rest of today. I have been saving meals in the freezer for the children for the first week after my surgery. One thing I wanted that I could not afford was some KFC...and I decided to get some tonight and freeze much of it, to be baked for them for one meal or two when I am recovering...I ate chicken breast, some mashed potatoes with gravy, a few of those fries, half a buscuit and some corn muffin. Later on this evening, I had two relatively small cones with peach ice cream in them.

Now I really feel stupid! I swore this very morning, and last night that I would not eat anything else...that I felt satisfied...and here i am doing the same damned thing! I am so disappointed in myself, and don't know if I can finish the preop diet when we never got to go to the drive-ins or do anything of a fun nature this summer. I have the emotions all over the place, ranging from happy to mostly miserable and trying to cope with the decision I made...etc. I am thinking of not going to the drive-ins this weekend since it will be 5-6 days pre-op and I don't think I can keep from eating what I want there, what I love there... I don't want to mess up my surgery, and I can live without a trip to the drive-in...but that is going to add to my misery--I wondered about this and expressed it at a support group meeting and the people there said they felt sorry for others who eat the garbage food, and that I won't want it...which helped me for a little while.

I think once I have the surgery, it will be a lot easier...because I won't have a stomach much anymore, and because I am terrified of tearing my stomach apart and bleeding out, then dying on my children....I've really tried hard to deal with this all, and had planned to do the full liquid type diet since the beginning of August...but I just couldn't do it.

What I need to know is if I don't have anymore of the wrong foods, is 8 days enough to shrink my liver and not have a problem during surgery?? By eating what I ate above, did I ruin my pre-op program?? I am also having PMS issues that I have not had in a while, as well...and I read that's normal...sucks, but it's normal.

I was thinking of doing 3 days of Clear liquids only right before the surgery, and shakes leading up to that point.

Do you think I'm ok???

Im no dr but I have seen some people saying they only had to do 3 days liquid! There was a post earlier about some people saying they had a few cheats here and there on pre op as well, I don't think your alone in this! It seems most people find day 6 the hardest!

Ok, I am not sure why you are getting this done if you cant stop with this abusive eating. Your supposed to do pre op eating for a good reason. First, it cleanses your system out, so you will feel better and clean going into surgery. Second, when you eat all the stuff your eating, it causes your liver to enlarge with fat, thus making it harder for your liver to be moved out of the way to get to your stomach. You need to do at least one week of a pre op diet as most physicians will tell you.

YOU can do this! Get back on track, and no more cheating. VSG is a tool and it works, but it can't do it for you. You have to get your mind set for this surgery, and the post op diet is just the beginning. Good luck!

I appreciate the help and advice...I do have to say that I did not eat a lot for the most part...just later on the cheat day that I planned...just wish I would have had less...after not eating much or at all...having actual food was a lot for my body to take. I strongly feel that I need to feel not cheated in order to move forward...and that's why I had the cheat day...to get the right frame of mind...but then I worry at the same time. I know many people have no real pre-op diet, or they can eat food...and so I figured a cheat day would be ok enough as long as I stuck with very low calorie and 95% pre-op diet the rest of the time. I do feel a lot better now, and a lot more confident, today. I so don't want to mess things up. I sure do hope I do the right things after the procedure...and I believe I will...but I still need counseling, and am going to get it for as long as I can. I want to be different on the inside, more than anything on the outside phases me. In fact, I don't really see that much of a problem with having extra weight as far as finding clothes that are comfortable and that fit...I can make clothes too...I never really see myself as the size that I actually am...and I want to see things for what they are, feel and think realistically about myself...without fear, and without a voice or drive that pushes me to eat.

I only did a 3 day liquid diet, 5 days of 1000 or less calories before that. :) get back on track and you should be fine.

Yes get back on track. It all depends on how i believe your liver and stomach are. I totally forgot i had to go on a liquid diet the week before surgery and i ate like a pig at my friends wedding on Sat and then a friends party on Sunday. Looked over my packet on Monday morning after i ate a bagel and realized i should be on liquids. Called my dr in a panic and he said start the liquids now and he would see if they can do it. Had my surgery that Wednesday. Guess everything was ok. I just had that worry that i would go under on wed and they would have to just close me up but all went well and i am now sleeved 4 weeks today. Stay strong and get back on track and hopefully you will be ok.

Thank you for the insights and encouragement. Maybe my liver isn't as bad off as it used to be because I have done the liquid diets all the way a few times for several days and kept with partials for several months...and now am doing it again. I do not want to be turned away, either...especially since my date has been changed so many times. That's unfathomable to me.

Get back on track and you will be fine, I hate to admit it but I cheated as well and all was well. I did awesome for my week liquid diet and then got weak the night before with the thought that this would be the last time I would be able to eat a real meal for a while, I had some grilled chicken. Afterwards I felt HORRIBLE and even thought about trying to throw it up. But there were no issues with my surgery... I have even read that some of the members on here are not even required to do a pre-op diet.