Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery did anyone wait to have a milk shake?

I had one (or at least part of one) to break a stall - wanted to up my calories, but knew I could only do it with a liquid. I think that was at about week three post-op. Went down fine and did break the stall as I expected.

I'm 19 months post-op and haven't had a milkshake yet. Doesn't fit with my plan.

I had this surgery to lose weight and to improve my healthy eating habits. A milk shake is full of sugar and is void from my diet totally. Try exercising or increasing your Protein with a Protein Shake. I love Premier chocolate shakes, it reminds me of a milk shake. :) It is on my no list forever.

Yes I agree you shouldn't be having a milkshake not on the plan and very high in calories, sugar and fat!

Yes I agree you shouldn't be having a milkshake not on the plan and very high in calories' date=' sugar and fat![/quote']

When people say it's not on "the plan" I find it kind of funny. There is no plan. There are stages of food to follow for optimal healing, but no specific diet other than to eat Protein and drink plenty of Water. If y'all were this committed to following a "plan" then why did you need surgery to begin with? Why couldn't you just follow a diet with this much conviction?

Reality is, being sleeved will change the way you eat but it's not a diet, per se. Most of us got this way because of excessive eating. Can you have a milkshake with a burger and fries everyday? No, it will make you sick. Can you have a little bit of a milkshake as a treat or to increase calories (like I did) on a rare occasion without blowing it? Absolutely. There are two schools of thought here - the absolutes and the in moderations. The absolutes get all high and mighty whenever someone even mentions a food they disagree with, and the in moderations are more laid back and recognize that if we forbid ourselves of everything, we'll be miserable.

Interestingly, however, both will lose weight.

If you want a milkshake and your doctor says it's okay and won't make you sick, that's your call and only your call. Don't let people here bully you into thinking otherwise.

Really LT? this is kinda harsh. Just giving my opinion and that's what this site is for. We are not BULLIES as you imply. We just choose not to eat the stuff that got us fat to begin with. Some people can't do moderation and some can. No big deal. Not angry or offended just saying I choose not to eat or drink foods that are loaded with calories.

Nah, I'm with LT on this. If I could have just said no, I am never eating certain foods again, then I wouldn't have needed this surgery. I could have and should have been able to do it on willpower if that were the case. I am a foodie, I thoroughly enjoy food. I did so to an excess. I got the sleeve so I can continue to enjoy the foods I like, but in moderation. I have not and will not give up anything, sorry. The majority of the time, I try to make healthy choices, but if I want something, I eat it. My sleeve prevents me from overdoing it like I did in the past and I love it.

So, yeah, I am one of those everything in moderation kind of gals.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Nah' date=' I'm with LT on this. If I could have just said no, I am never eating certain foods again, then I wouldn't have needed this surgery. I could have and should have been able to do it on willpower if that were the case. I am a foodie, I thoroughly enjoy food. I did so to an excess. I got the sleeve so I can continue to enjoy the foods I like, but in moderation. I have not and will not give up anything, sorry. The majority of the time, I try to make healthy choices, but if I want something, I eat it. My sleeve prevents me from overdoing it like I did in the past and I love it.

So, yeah, I am one of those everything in moderation kind of gals.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

I think the ones who have avoided all bad foods have done so with the mind set that it took a major/invasive surgery to set them on the right mental path. After doing such a drastic thing to lose weight, why revisit that old lifestyle. The sleeve does not make you lose weight, proper diet does.

YMMV

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

How long after surgery did anyone wait to have a milk shake?

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't eat anything unhealthy/not on my docs nutritional plan until 6mos out. Why that day, what I will eat, no clue. :)

Good luck.. if you decide to have a chocolate malt shake from sonic, please don't let me know Hahaha.

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

Most of the time, I see people talking about their own plan and their own choices. Not people telling others what is and isn't allowed. Sure, there is a bit of that, but not much. I read most posts as being people responding about their own plan rather than spouting off about THE plan. There is a difference.

Have a milkshake if you want. It isn't for me, not only do I avoid sugar but I am now lactose intolerant. But if you want to try it, try it. See how your body reacts. See how the scales react.. Listen to your body and make the right decisions for you. Understand that others will question the sense in you taking such a high sugar and high saturated fat option but do so because you actually believe it is the right choice for you, not because you are fooling yourself that it is a healthy choice. Because a traditional milkshake will never be a healthy choice.

There is no judgement in this. I am just saying it like it is.

When people say it's not on "the plan" I find it kind of funny. There is no plan. There are stages of food to follow for optimal healing' date=' but no specific diet other than to eat Protein and drink plenty of Water. If y'all were this committed to following a "plan" then why did you need surgery to begin with? Why couldn't you just follow a diet with this much conviction?

Reality is, being sleeved will change the way you eat but it's not a diet, per se. Most of us got this way because of excessive eating. Can you have a milkshake with a burger and fries everyday? No, it will make you sick. Can you have a little bit of a milkshake as a treat or to increase calories (like I did) on a rare occasion without blowing it? Absolutely. There are two schools of thought here - the absolutes and the in moderations. The absolutes get all high and mighty whenever someone even mentions a food they disagree with, and the in moderations are more laid back and recognize that if we forbid ourselves of everything, we'll be miserable.

Interestingly, however, both will lose weight.

If you want a milkshake and your doctor says it's okay and won't make you sick, that's your call and only your call. Don't let people here bully you into thinking otherwise.[/quote']

Thank you so much, I hate to ask a simply question and get schooled. I know what I can have just had a question. Thank you.

All I know is, whenever you look at the case history of the people who are not losing the weight, or are gaining it back, they are almost always the people in the "everything in moderation" crowd. I know it works for plenty of people, but there are plenty of people who fail because of this. At some point your appetite will come back. Your ability to eat will increase. How much is anybody's guess. It's different for everybody. But if it comes back with a vengeance, what are you gonna do? The sleeve will not give you the same restriction and Portion Control then.....how will you control your eating if you don't learn any new healthy eating habits? A milkshake won't kill you, but bad eating habits will.

I agree to a certain extent with LT. I had the surgery to become healthy, and to be at a more ideal body weight. I did not have the surgery so that I could live on Protein Shakes, chicken and fish. weight loss surgery is a tool, not a diet. as my surgeon says.." in moderation, everything is okay hey bite of something you really have been craving is not going to kill you, just don't get into your old habits." For right now I cannot trust myself not to get into my old habits, so I don't eat things like that. I will however someday have hey milkshake maybe some mac and cheese hell maybe even a Kit Kat bar.... just not anytime soon. not because it's not on the plan, but because I don't trust myself.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest the moderation people will fail. Both will learn new ways of eating - the moderation people will learn how to eat the things they like without going overboard and falling into old habits, the strict adherents to a healthy diet will change their entire lifestyle. To each their own - some people are marathon runners, some people are sprinters, and some people like a nice, leisurely jog, but they're all runners.

My issue was quantity and choice. Right now, for example, I'm at a late lunch/early dinner at my favorite BBQ place. Pre-VSG, I'd have the pulled pork & brisket combo platter with fried rice, Mac & cheese and a piece of cornbread. I'd pretty much clean my plate. Today I ordered chicken (nice and moist), took off the skin, put the cornbread aside, and had a small bite of Mac & cheese. No rice. To some people, that bite of m&c would be heresy! But to me, I know where I'm coming from and see the change in my eating habits. I know I'm never going to be that strict, healthy eater, so I know for me, the best thing to do is learn to eat like a better me. I also know that after doing a strict healthy diet, I would fall off the wagon big time and probably make myself sick.

Again, to each their own. What's good for one person isn't necessarily the best thing for everyone and to suggest that one way is right or better than another isn't really helpful to anyone.