Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op And Already Failed... :...(

It has been a struggle for me at work, especially now that it is lunch time! My doctor gave me a high Protein diet that include shakes and chiken/fish and vegetables. It is very hard becuase obviously I did not get at my weight eating fish, chiken, or vegetables! I have found that reading this forum has helped me a lot! When I feel like I can't take it anymmore I log on and see what evryone else is doing. I am really looking forward to my sleeve, I have sabatoged myself so many times on previous diets I can't let myself down on this one! Remember why you are doing this, there may be many reasons but ultimately it is for you and your health! I have been drinking lots of Water and it has helped curb the cravings. You can do this!

Surgeries have been cancelled for not following the pre-op diet. It's good that we can all share our unique experiences, but IMO we also need a little onus for the permissions we give others by doing so.

rapf - discuss your challenges with your nutritionists. They, not we, are the ones who should be OKing any exceptions to your pre-op diet. Pre-op diets vary widely, by surgeon, and surgeon has circumstances under which they're most comfortable operating. Trust me, we want to cater to them a little. ;) Someone posted not that long ago having a really hard time with the pre-op diet and was OKed to add in some chicken or tuna without any problems. But do it on their advice.

BTW, the pre-op diet is a bit more systemic than most people think. It's often attributed to wanting to shrink the liver, which is true, but you'll gain more than that. And your nutritionists should know the systemic advantages and be able to coach you or tweak your diet so that the benefits are still possible:

Shrinking the liver is just one of the things a liquid diet will accomplish. There are things you will gain from a liquid diet that a diet with solids, regardless of carb count, will not achieve. Such as:

• No solids or residues in the digestive tract. Any time a surgeon is going to be cutting into any part of your GI system, you really, really don't want any solid matter in there.
  • It can have a benefit when dealing with post-op nausea - it's easier and generally more pleasant to expel liquids.< br />
  • It helps you get properly hydrated before a major surgical procedure.
  • Better hydrated you are, the easier/quicker your recovery will be.
  • Reduces liver size AND clears the colon.
  • Body does not have to work hard to digest whatever is in the system.

HTH

BTW, this will be my 2nd WLS. Both times, I've been given a 2 day diet of clear, sugar free liquids.

Surgeries have been cancelled for not following the pre-op diet. It's good that we can all share our unique experiences, but IMO we also need a little onus for the permissions we give others by doing so.

rapf - discuss your challenges with your nutritionists. They, not we, are the ones who should be OKing any exceptions to your pre-op diet. Pre-op diets vary widely, by surgeon, and surgeon has circumstances under which they're most comfortable operating. Trust me, we want to cater to them a little. ;) Someone posted not that long ago having a really hard time with the pre-op diet and was OKed to add in some chicken or tuna without any problems. But do it on their advice.

BTW, the pre-op diet is a bit more systemic than most people think. It's often attributed to wanting to shrink the liver, which is true, but you'll gain more than that. And your nutritionists should know the systemic advantages and be able to coach you or tweak your diet so that the benefits are still possible:

AGREE AGREE AGREE

I agree you should do your best to follow the doctors orders, they are after all the experts. However I wouldn't beat yourself up to much. We all have food addictions, and your doctor is well aware of that, or you wouldn't be trying to get the surgery in the first place. I wasn't on a liquid diet. Just told to watch what I eat and no caffeine for a whole week before the surgery. Unfortunately I was addicted to caffeine what I call a Pepsi-aholic. 7-9 cans of regular pepsi a day. I broke and had couple cans a day. I was afraid They would cancel my surgery, but they didn't. I told them the day of the surgery my last can of pepsi was at 4pm the day before, they went ahead with the surgery anyway. I haven't craved a pepsi since, and because I was having issues with the anesthesia for a couple of days, I didn't even have to go through the caffeine withdraw. ( if I did, I didnt notice because I was to busy being sick from the anesthesia) I don't know if your doctor will go through with your surgery if you continue to break your diet. My advice is to follow your doctors plan, or expect that it may be a real possibility to have to reschedule your surgery. But rest assured he knows some of the people that say they follow the diet, really didn't. I would always tell the truth, after all your life is more important than pulling the wool over your doc's eyes.

I haven't had surgery yet' date=' but I like Dooter's advice![/quote']

I agree too...lol

Ok on my 4 th day of pre op.. and its nit easy specially third day for me ..

But I'm doing good

I'm drinking my shakes my Water bad my Jello that's it.. I feel good yesterday I weight myself and I lost 4 lbs..

My surgery is on Saturday ..

U can do it.!!

You CAN do this!!!! Nothing tastes good enough to have your surgery cancelled!!!! It IS painful and hard to do the pre op liquids' date=' because you still have a full sized stomach. I PROMISE you it will be so much easier once surgery is done. Just push through it. Keep yourself busy. Suck on some sugar free candies. Have sex a lot. Whatever you have to do to not eat. It would be better for you to have an extra Protein shake than eat what you're not supposed to eat. If your liver is not out of the way, you run the risk of either a cancelled surgery, or an open incision. You can do this!!![/quote']

I was really struggling with my pre- op diet ( I am now day 5) and its still tough today but not as tough as it was. Thanks Dooter for sayi g this as I was getting quite despondent bu am starting to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

I was really struggling with my pre- op diet ( I am now day 5) and its still tough today but not as tough as it was. Thanks Dooter for sayi g this as I was getting quite despondent bu am starting to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

THERE REALLY IS! Everyone gave good advice. Continue to try your very best. it will definitely help in the long run good luck to you I know its tough

Thanks ALL...Glad I was told about this forum...feeling better. I do have a doctor's appt for the 30th and will say the truth....I knew this was not going to be easy....Yes I also have a MAJOR food addiction.....and it was always my comfort!! I am going to take it one day at a time.

I say do your best .. Maybe you could drink Protein Shakes and Water all day it might keep I feel ... Not to worry you but I've heard of ppl being opened up and close cause they didn't follow pre op .. Your liver has to be shrink for them to have room to move around in there .. I've also heard of someone's live being nicked do to not following diet ... Thats far more complication good luck to you .. U could do it good thing u chose salad