Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Denied...but Yet Approved

I got the phone call last night stating that I was denied for the sleeve but approved for the full gastric bypass. I've had my heart set on the sleeve and have really never fully investigated the bypass. Our insurance just does not approve the sleeve for anyone they say. I did have a coworker that was approved but she has a co-insurance so I don't know if that played into the fact of her getting the sleeve.

I don't know what I feel yet. Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Hi MB Mom, my advice to you is don't panic! I have to tell you I've noticed a great deal many people in the WLS community who have the Gastric Bypass and are doing wonderfully. There are some differences in the procedure so I have to tell you to find a WLS message board that discusses GB just like we discuss the Sleeve here. Thinnertimes.com is a good one.

Also even doing a simple Google search you will find an incredible amount of information out there on the internet for your reading.

I want to throw in there I know someone personally and in real life who had the Gastric Bypass procedure. He's doing great and I'd say has lost about 200 Lbs in the last year alone at least. I never asked him exactly how much he's lost only because I hate it when I get asked that all the time. Truth be told he's taken the spotlight here away from me and I'm a bit grateful! Haha :)

All the best to you!!

You need to do what you have to in order to get your health where it needs to be. Period. I got lucky. When I first started down this road, my insurance will pay for gastric bypass only. However my coordinator told me that my insurance just started approvi f the sleeve. So the sleeve I will go. Maybe things will change by the time your surgery gets closer.

All in all, I do NOT envy you for your position.

Just a note, Vertical Sleeve Talk also has a Gastric Bypass forum. The web address is www.RNYtalk.com . At least it follows the same format (which you may be used to by now).

Some say you lose more with the bypass.

My friend had it 5 years ago and is still within 10 lbs of her goal.

If it were me personally I would get the bypass It is as they say still the "gold standard" surgery. Do as much research as you can. My mother had bypass last week and I am having sleeve next week. But if my ins. would not pay I would not have a problem having the bypass. I would be thankful that they pay for the bypass. Thats just me. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

My surgeon said he would do the sleeve for me (my insurance does cover it) but he wanted to me know that bi-pass has a faster weight loss. I think he was actually trying to talk me into bi-pass. I think insurance companies are just starting to see the benefits of the sleeve. Don't let it get you down. Maybe try calling your insurance and ask of they are considering add the sleeve to their coverage. It may be right around the corner! Good luck and keep posted.

hey! keep your head up. everything happens for a reason. maybe this is God's message that if you had the sleeve your body wouldnt heal right and youd end up with complications.

maybe its his blessing sending the by pass your way :) bypass also has wayyy more clinical statistics tied to it because its been around for so much longer than the sleeve.

i think you should go for it :) i was considering by pass as well but just got news that the sleeve is approved by husky a connecticut so i'm going with it. i think you will be fine :) hey congratulations!!!! some people on here dont even have insurance and have to self pay, or use their 401k and retirement savings. look at is as a blessing and a sign :) <3

My insurance does not cover the sleeve, only band or bypass. However, I have called into them before and they have implied that if my doctor can prove that sleeve is medically necessary, then they will approve it.

hey! keep your head up. everything happens for a reason. maybe this is God's message that if you had the sleeve your body wouldnt heal right and youd end up with complications.

maybe its his blessing sending the by pass your way :) bypass also has wayyy more clinical statistics tied to it because its been around for so much longer than the sleeve.

i think you should go for it :) i was considering by pass as well but just got news that the sleeve is approved by husky a connecticut so i'm going with it. i think you will be fine :) hey congratulations!!!! some people on here dont even have insurance and have to self pay' date=' or use their 401k and retirement savings. look at is as a blessing and a sign :) <3[/quote']

Im in ct and Im waiting for my clearances from all the doctors since everything is done. then comes the waiting game. i too have husky....Im so scared they won't approve me. 5'2 ...lbs-220. have to loose 20 before my doctor can do my surgery. ugh, i hope husky approves me.

Im in ct and Im waiting for my clearances from all the doctors since everything is done. then comes the waiting game. i too have husky....Im so scared they won't approve me. 5'2 ...lbs-220. have to loose 20 before my doctor can do my surgery. ugh' date=' i hope husky approves me.[/quote']

really?? what office are you going through??

Sent from my Samsung G2 using VST

really?? what office are you going through??

Sent from my Samsung G2 using VST

yes...Im seeing Dr. Benbrahim over at MIDSTATE hospital.