Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Stuff They Don't Tell You

I know to expect throwing up, is that a temporary thing, or is that just to be expected forever? Also, what are slimes, sounds alien like.

I know to expect throwing up' date=' is that a temporary thing, or is that just to be expected forever? Also, what are slimes, sounds alien like.[/quote']

I only throw up when I eat fried or really greased foods...when I over eat like to the extreme I usually feel like throwing up to the point that i actually want to but I just can't..its terrible. This doesn't happen much at all

Slimes is what it is..slimey stuff coming back up. I usually end up spitting it up into a paper towel..that rarely happens.

You'll get to know your body and what will and wont make you throw up. Its a matter of trial and error atleast for me

I know to expect throwing up' date=' is that a temporary thing, or is that just to be expected forever? Also, what are slimes, sounds alien like.[/quote']

I have never thrown up - however if you expect it then all the better when you do not :)

@ it is okay to use your pain meds at home, better to relax and heal than to push it and suffer in pain

@ it would be helpful to have support at home (we had family discussion about mom and helping her to succeed)

@ it is okay to plan to leave the room when food is made ESPECIALLY in the beginning. I just excused myself, took my iPad and read on the forum until I was stronger to be around food...it worked well

@ it does not seem like it in the beginning but, eventually you will get hungry, you need to learn and keep learning how you will deal with it. Your stomach is swollen for a while and 2 oz fills you up, but only for a while

@ find easy recipes and Protein you like before surgery

@ I would have a complication that would require "pig cells" to regrow skin after second surgery, I never thought it would happen to me...and it is real, complications can and do happen

@ dry skin is normal at first - I just started adding moisturizer daily after showering

@ even if you have a lot of hair...more than likely you will lose hair around 3 months

@ your energy will build over time as you begin to eat and move more

@ helpful to find a site like VST where you are comfortable to share ideas, recipes, rants, raves and gain support..and those "oh that is why" moments from others :)

Before surgery, food and hunger controlled my every waking thought. I would wake up at 2 am, starving. Even while eating, I would already be planning and thinking about what I would eat next, or later, or tomorrow. One of my biggest fears was getting stuck in a meeting, on the road, etc, with nothing to eat. I had food squirrelled away EVERYWHERE.

What I was unprepared for as a post-op, is that I would forget about food. That I would get to the end of the day and feel crappy, and realize that I had FORGOTTEN to eat for the previous 24hours. That for the first 3 months, the thought of putting anything in my mouth would be repulsive.

I was unprepared for what a struggle it would be to find things that I could eat, that felt comfortable and were of good nutritional value. And that when I thought I had find something, that my body would reject it later.

I was unprepared for not being able to tolerate ANY fluids at room temp, only iced or hot. And even hot makes me slime at times.

On the other hand, I am so glad I had this forum...it helped me from going totally insane.

[*]Lots of studies right now are pretty consistently linking Ghrelin to things like memory and cognitive function, is in - not enough Ghrelin, so in 50 years you may be skinny & have no idea why.

[

hahaha funny this made me laugh... hmmm forget what else i was gunna say...

Your body will make some really strange and embarrasing sounds after surgery. There is nothing to be done about it. However, I carry gas X strips with me everywhere now.

[*]Lots of studies right now are pretty consistently linking Ghrelin to things like memory and cognitive function' date=' is in - not enough Ghrelin, so in 50 years you may be skinny & have no idea why.

[

hahaha funny this made me laugh... hmmm forget what else i was gunna say...[/quote']

Well, at least we will have 50 more years! At the rate I was going with diabetes, I was on borrowed time!

This may just be me, but I sleep on my front and I go to sleep on my side front so the right side of my body is pressed to the bed.

Well I have to smooth out my night clothes and hike up the waist band of my pj pants above my stomach because all the wrinkles or gathers in clothes feel like fingers digging me.

Its odd I have no gall bladder less fat and less stomach in that area now so it’s a bit hollow and I can feel that much much more!

Its not a bad thing just a odd thing I notice and some others may notice too!

My stomach was swollen & blooted for about 4-5 weeks. Everyone is diff tho. Some hv said thiers hv went dwn within a few weeks.

The honest truth about my surgery...when i woke up from surgery I was in severe pain & my back hurt the most. Not sure why but it did, but each day the pain ws subsiding.

I had a very speedy recovery & started a new job 1wk later (desk job).

The main issues i hv had is drinking fluids. Very very super doper cold i do good with, hot tea i do good with but inbetween it doesnt feel so great. So i hv struggled w tht.

Im 6wks out & i do very good with tuna, backed fish, hamburger mt (i dont do this often), grilled ot roasted chicken, lunch meat...starch foods such as mash pot & mac&chz if i eat i eat very very slow. I hv to really watch wht i eat because it still hurts going dwn.

Very glad i had the surgery!

All of the problems sound so scary. Does anyone regret surgery? I just don't if I could live life like that. Of course my quality of life right now is pretty crappy too.

I dont regret it at all!

All of the problems sound so scary. Does anyone regret surgery? I just don't if I could live life like that. Of course my quality of life right now is pretty crappy too.

I think these problems although freaky sounding on comparison to pre op problems are nothing at all.

For me I have posted in the final straw thread my back and knees were so messed up the weight on my body made it so I was pretty much housebound unless someone took me some place in a car and at the destination I could sit the whole time.

I had really bad ibs I was puking and instantly going ot the bathroom with painful cramps with just one mouthful of food.

The ibs actually had me on my very own mal absorption diet my body just could not retain Vitamins and I was eating them by the handful every day.

My hair was falling out due to that too, I had sleep apnoea and I was externally unfit and it winded me to just walk up a flight of stairs.

I outgrew even the biggest size clothes available in the uk.

And some other stuff I keep to myself not high blood pressure or diabetes though but people have these problems.

So to have the op and for me ibs be gone actually only on 2 Multi Vitamins a day my hair has stopped falling out and is way better now yeah most people it may fall out from the op mine stopped falling out from the op lol

no more cpap or sleep apnoea for me, ok my right knee and back I still have issues with but 100lbs less on my body means I can now do more, it used to be 5mins and i was in pain now 20mins can go by before I have to sit and let it settle and go by.

So for me things tasting sweet not drinking as much as I should eating a little amount of food at a time and it maybe hurting is nothing compared to how I was before.

You just consider the pre op lifestyle and everything people say here and if you would rather have these issues or the ones you have lived with (if you have them) not everyone is sick etc but yeah it’s a possibility if you can deal with the stuff listed not just in this thread but all over this forum for ok if it allllllllllll happens to me can I deal then you will be ok its your life only you know what you can take and deal with or not.

No I don’t regret it for me, at my highest weight I was 425lbs and no way of being able to exercise or even diet it off how my ibs was I was in a starvation mode and it stored everything I put in that it got to keep a little of.

and these same issues were making me pack on more and more weight.

Would I tell other people to do it?

Honestly it would depend on the person, health issues and weight.

Here's something for you guys.....if they don't give you a catheter, you may have difficulty relieving yourself afterward. I didn't have a catheter, and I was happy about it until about an hour after surgery. I had to go and couldn't. Over the next 6 hours it just got worse. I could only let go of a few drops at a time. By late that night I finally started getting a little relief....gradually. By the next morning I was pretty much back to normal, but it was miserable getting there.

They told me it was perfectly normal after this kind of surgery. I'm not sure if it was the same for you ladies, or just the men.

No Regrets! I wouldn't be where I am today without the surgery :wub: