Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Stuff They Don't Tell You

I am also glad that this topic is brought to surface. I am so interested in more experiences. I so far am reading constipation' date=' bad breathe, taste buds changing (low tolerance to sweets), and clues to knowing when you are full..[/quote']

I look @ the scale, just stare @ it.. If it moves too fast I panic I'll look like a deflated balloon; if it moved too slow, I feel defeated. Yo-yo dieter I was, u keep waiting for the other shoe to drop & gain it back. Of course, this is all ridiculous. I'm 23 days out, 25lbs lighter, & my scale & I have a twice a week date (only cuz I can't seem to make it once a week).

How have you folks done with coffee? I LOVE coffee and wonder how long after my surgery I'll be able to tolerate it.

I had Decaf w/chocolate or vanilla Protein & some 2%milk a week after. Reg coffee twice since then. But now that I'm not addicted to caffeine anymore, the thrill of the buzz is gone, & honestly the Protein gives me a better jump start.

I'm confused. Some of you say you're constipated, but then you say to never trust a fart which makes me think you have the opposite problem. So basically there is just bowel problems in general... great... looking forward to all of these side effects. Blah but I'm guessing it's all worth it right?

Well at first its pretty much liquid because that’s all your taking in so the people saying never trust a fart got caught short lol

Then when you start to introduce more solid food your body takes a while to get used to that then your hit with Constipation.< /p>

Its kinda like during the liquid and pureed stage your body got so full of Fluid it wrung out and dry so when your doing food there is none left to help and that’s when you need help to go lol we also change out full fluids for food so are taking less in this kinda makes your body act like a drought it uses the Fluid for other things and not enough is being taken into your bowl to help the process.

Our bodies are strange things it reacts all kinds of ways to this.

First we change habits of a lift time and do this pre op diet then don’t eat for 24 hours then have a op then we are in recovery on meds and just drinking Water and such oh we keep taking meds and nope no food just Water or fluids depending on the stage then oh no switch up again lets try food though we haven’t had any in say like 4 weeks or so lol

Our bodies can’t keep up with us and goes a little haywire.

For me my constipation was not a ongoing thing prune juice is my thing and in my food log I put little notes of when I go just like BM if it’s been 3 or 4 days I drink half a glass of prune juice and I am fine in a hour or so.

I'm confused. Some of you say you're constipated, but then you say to never trust a fart which makes me think you have the opposite problem. So basically there is just bowel problems in general... great... looking forward to all of these side effects. Blah but I'm guessing it's all worth it right?

I agree with the above. And in particular, after the leak test, the drink they give you is awful and can cause the same "reaction". The Constipation comes later on when you start eating solids. And, for me anyways, because I cannot eat the same and I can't eat as much (hard to get in enough fruits and veggies), it can be a struggle.

Another one that you do not know about before is not a physical thing is how often you have to have follow ups with your surgeon. I did not realize it is about once a month for the first 6 then every other month the next 6 then 1 or 2 times a year for another few years and that is not counting the visits with the nut (which mine has horribly short hours and not condusive to someone that works full time)

I wish I was told how everyday medications would give me adverse effects...I get hives from prilosec and I get extremely tired with ibuprofen..never had a problem with it before surgery

I had an allergic reaction to prilosec too but only if I drank a Protein Drink after taking the pill. I realized this early on while still on liquids and it so freaked me out, I didn't drink whey Protein for several weeks. I no longer take prilosec and have not had anymore reactions. Hope this helps.

Ah yes....the Constipation. It's too bad too' date=' because .....um....wiping is so much easier.[/quote']

Good to hear!! I can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had an allergic reaction to prilosec too but only if I drank a Protein drink after taking the pill. I realized this early on while still on liquids and it so freaked me out' date=' I didn't drink whey Protein for several weeks. I no longer take prilosec and have not had anymore reactions. Hope this helps.[/quote']

My dr gave me 300mg of zantac in the morning and if needed I talk 150mg in the afternoon. Im almost 4 months out and haven't taken prilosec since the first 2 weeks after I had surgery. To scared to chance it. Glad im not the only one with that though

Whoah! They definitely do not tell you this stuff! I'm just over a week away to sleeve day. And reading this thread has me totally scared now! I have been reading up on as much stuff as I could find but the Hair loss - never came across that! Ive got such fine hair I'm scared I'm going to go bald :/ and I definitely did not know that your tastes can change so much...

Whoah! They definitely do not tell you this stuff! I'm just over a week away to sleeve day. And reading this thread has me totally scared now! I have been reading up on as much stuff as I could find but the hair loss - never came across that! Ive got such fine hair I'm scared I'm going to go bald :/ and I definitely did not know that your tastes can change so much...

Don't be scared, it does happen to most people, but it is temporary.

Whoah! They definitely do not tell you this stuff! I'm just over a week away to sleeve day. And reading this thread has me totally scared now! I have been reading up on as much stuff as I could find but the hair loss - never came across that! Ive got such fine hair I'm scared I'm going to go bald :/ and I definitely did not know that your tastes can change so much...

I have really fine hair to ..im 24...I had surgery in april and literally just started losing it like a few weeks ago..it comes out in a whole lot of strands but I don't have any bald spots or anything..its alarming but I wouldn't worry...just make sure you take your Multivitamins and have Protein...it'll eventually stop. taste wise for me anything sugary tasted so sugary it was nauseating...some things I can't even look at it makes me sick..other then that nothing to drastic..don't be scared just remember its for your health and well being

Never trust a fart is one of the biggest things no one talked about.

So true!

My full signal never is consistent. I have gone through burps, hiccups, sneezes, gurgling. It's taken me a while to realize when my body does something unexpected, it's probably time to stop or I'll start feeling like stuff is stuck behind my sternum. I have not had slimies yet, thankfully.

Before surgery I understood you have to sip, but I guess I never realized pre-surgery how much Water 64 oz really is.

My full signal isn't consistent either. So glad to see someone else is in the same boat. My full signal before surgery was sooo much easier to detect. Now I don't have a clue until it's too late. I've had 2 instances when I've thrown up just the last bit of food/liquid. Heaving is probably my most detested issue. I'd much rather have the issue south of the mouth.

What about burping alot!! Specially when I'm drinking Water, or the chest pains when u eat or drink :(

Happens to me ALL the time! No matter if it's a sip of Water or a bite of food. My doctor put me on Omeprazole and Hyomax (helps your Esophagus Spasm faster). It really hasn't helped so she is going to do an Endoscopy to see if my esophagus needs to be stretched out a bit.