Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Stuff They Don't Tell You

I couldn't decide where to put this one so I figured that most of it's gonna come after surgery so I put it in post op. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I was reading another thread and someone said these words and it made me think about what I have learned reading this board and was amazed at the responses I saw stating that they were not told such and such before hand. What are some things that you have learned after the fact?? The things you didn't find out until you were elbow deep into this journey...

Let's hear them, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I know that I am not the only one to wander this and I know that others looking are curious as well. The only way to learn is to talk to others that have been through the experience. Thanks, Dave.

I was on here right after the first consult. I tend to research things to death so I read this board every day and also read three blogs from surgery day to present.

I was pretty well informed by the time I had my surgery. I was even equipped with grocery lists and recipes.

One thing I did learn from this board and real time support groups is that some people get surgery without knowing the first thing about it and some surgeons let their patients out into the world with virtually no guidance.

Read everything you can get your hands on.

Never trust a fart is one of the biggest things no one talked about.

LOL - Totally gross!

I didn't realize how badly it would affect my abdomen. I know the scars will heal, but I'm talking about what happens when they inflate you. Obviously, they blew me up like a balloon, but 3 weeks later my stomach is still a big, sloppy, defated mashmallow. My mid section has NEVER looked THIS bad. Is this what happens when you give birth? LOL I hope sit-ups will help me get it back.

I didn't realize how badly it would affect my abdomen. I know the scars will heal, but I'm talking about what happens when they inflate you. Obviously, they blew me up like a balloon, but 3 weeks later my stomach is still a big, sloppy, defated mashmallow. My mid section has NEVER looked THIS bad. Is this what happens when you give birth? LOL I hope sit-ups will help me get it back.

Are you sure it is not you're weight loss that has contributed? You have lost an amazing amount of weight congratulations!!

I am now the proud owner of 2 bottles of acid reducers & a bottle of stool softeners. Shopping for these things makes me feel totally geriatric @ 38. New experience.

Are you sure it is not you're weight loss that has contributed? You have lost an amazing amount of weight congratulations!!

Yes, I'm positive. I didn't have a big gut before surgery.

LOL Jenny.. well at least you don't have to go shopping for depends, too. ;)

also.. don't forget your friend.. Amazon. :)

Never trust a fart is one of the biggest things no one talked about.

LOL - Totally gross!

Gross, but true. And stool softener was essential in my case. I learned the hard way. I'll just say the words "bowling ball" and leave it to your imagination.

I couldn't decide where to put this one so I figured that most of it's gonna come after surgery so I put it in post op. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I was reading another thread and someone said these words and it made me think about what I have learned reading this board and was amazed at the responses I saw stating that they were not told such and such before hand. What are some things that you have learned after the fact?? The things you didn't find out until you were elbow deep into this journey...

Let's hear them, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I know that I am not the only one to wander this and I know that others looking are curious as well. The only way to learn is to talk to others that have been through the experience. Thanks, Dave.

This is such a great post!! I'm looking forward to all the responses!! Thanks Dave :)

That your taste buds change!

I was never told that after the op everythingggggggggggg will taste extra extra extra sweet!

That your taste buds change!

I was never told that after the op everythingggggggggggg will taste extra extra extra sweet!

I forgot about that. I can't tolerate sweet food any more.