Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Your Doc Reqire As Preop Diet

My dr doesn't require a preop diet and I'm wanting to do one any way to start getting in the groove.. So what I was want to know is what are other drs recommending? Also I've read that some people are doing 2 shakes and one high Protein meal, I bought the pure Protein Shakes and they have about 150 cal with 25 g pro... Is this adequate to keep my body fueled?

My doc required 5 Protein Shakes and a meal (4-6oz lean Protein with 2 cups green vegetables/green salad). 64oz of Water or more. When she told me, I almost fell of my chair :) I didn't know how I was going to pull that off for two weeks and not starve!!

I had 2 weeks with 3 shakes a day.. All the broth, Water, crystal light, sugar free Popsicle, and sugar free Jello I wanted. First 3 days sucked. Fourth day I was a B. After that is was ok. Lost 20 pounds in that time.

you only need 60 grams of Protein per day to survive.. everything has Protein in it- including vegetables and fruit. green leafy vegetables, like lettuce, spinach, cabbage & kale have the highest amounts of protein in them.

ever thought of doing a green smoothie? -- 1 banana, 1 hand full of leafy reens of your choice (usually spinach), some Water, and some berries- fresh or frozen.. like strawberry, blueberry, etc.. or you could add something like mango or pineapple.. it's a good way to get in your leafy greens & make them taste good. lol you can sweeten it with stevia, agave nectar or honey or whatever you like to use.. a lot of people also add their protein powders and other supplements to the drink.. like maca root (it's a root vegetable, similar to a turnip, grown in south america, dried & then powdered).. they add MSM (which is good for lubricating your joints & also great for your skin).. etc.. also seen people throw in dulce (seaweed flakes-- high in Iron & other vitamins) you could add whatever you wanted.. i was just throwing ideas out there. :)

if you want meal ideas... one of my favorites that i've been having lately is a salmon fillet, with the skin removed.. i season it with garlic/herb & seafood seasoning.. and fry it in olive oil (olive oil is good for you).. then make myself a mixed green salad with various kinds of lettuce.. so it's colorful.. then cutting up some other vegetables.. like zucchini or yellow squash, onion, Tomato, cucumber, carrot, radish, celery, add some spinach & maybe i will chop up some kale or whatever.. swiss chard.. etc.. then when my salmon is done, i flake/crumble the fillet up & put it on top of my salad.. and either eat it with some vinegar & oil or light balsamic dressing.. pretty tasty!!! if the fish is seasoned enough, it doesn't even really need salad dressing... the fish is high in Omega 3's, too! you could bake the salmon, too, but i usually just fry it in olive oil.. like 1 Tablespoon. takes like 10 minutes to do everything, including prep & you have a meal that's high protein, low carb & high in Omega 3's & all sorts of other Vitamins (like iron) from the vegetables. :)

another favorite is a small steak or chicken breast & some steamed asparagus or green Beans & a small salad. :)

Are you talking about the period before right before surgery (7-14 days) in order to shrink your liver or just in general to prepare for our post-op life?

My seven day pre-op diet (I'm getting sleeved tomorrow!) was five low carb shakes a day, low sodium broth, sugar free popsicles and all the sugar free, noncarbinated, caffeine-free drinks I wanted. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, although I'd love to chew on something for just a minute!

If it's just a general getting ready for the journey plan, I increased my lean Proteins, getting in at least 60-80 grams, lowered my carbs significantly, cut out soft drinks and minimized caffeine (it irritates the stomach). I also practiced taking small bites, chewing thoroughly and not drinking during meals.

When is your surgery? Remember that it's extremely important to cut your carbs down to the bone at least a week before in order to shrink your liver. They have to move it aside during the procedure and this minimizes the risk of them nicking it. The shakes my surgeon's office recommended (besides Protein powder mixed in Water - yuck!) was Premiere, Atkins Advantage and Slim Fast low carb. They have about 3-6 carbs per serving so I wind up getting about 20-30 carbs a day.

Good luck!

Edited to fix my mix up on the carbs - The drinks have between 3 and 6 grams.

I am scheduled for Sept 6th and the Dr. has me on 3 wks. of phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. I am SO THANKFUL that it wasn't a liquid diet for that period of time.

Dr. Lavin didn't require any diet from me. But, also, my BMI is "just" 39. I need to be liquid only the day before surgery (next week!).

I don't think my doc will require either from rumors I'm hearing buy I may do liquids for 3-4 days. I think it's just how comfortable the doc is.

My doctor requires 3 meals a day of

3 -4 oz. Protein

1 cup vegetable (cooked or raw)

1 cup fruit

64 oz. Water or sugar free drinks

The purpose is to shrink the liver so they can get to it laparascopically.

My surgeon required 2 weeks of Protein Shakes and all of the fresh veggies and fruit I could eat, yogurt, cream Soups strained (no meat or seafood) and oatmeal or cream of wheat. I ate a lot of steamed edamamae.

Mine was (still is...the 23rd is my day) easy. Just keep under 40 carbs daily. So I just eat steak and drink wine all day :P. ok not really, bt I am enjoying that I can have a glass of wine or two prior to surgery.

Dh was funny. He said early on that he was going to quit drinking while I was after surgery. So he goes to the pre surgery appt and hears the doc say that it's three months minimum ut for best weight loss six. When we left dh said he was going to do the first two weeks with me lol. I don't think he realized how long it would be heh heh

Wow. That really is alot of different versions

mine is 3 shakes a day and a sensible meal of chicken/pork/lean meat and veggies. all the sf Jello, crystal light and such....not bad at all I think

Mine starts on Wednesday and I'm doing 5 HMR 800 shakes a day for two weeks