Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you preparing your home for your return from being sleeved?

Are you freezing meals for your family?

Do you plan on having someone help you, if so for how long?

What about food, liquids, shakes for yourself?

I have a month before my surgery but these are all the things that I worry about. How are you handling this.

Thanks..

I don't have a date for surgery yet (actually I still have my psych exam before my file can be sent to insurance). But I've been slowly buying some Vitamins each paycheck. Several months ago I was buying Shakeology from Beachbody which has about 23g of Protein per serving and 75% of all the Vitamins and minerals you need for the day, so I have a couple of those stock piled. I plan on slowly stocking up on a few things as I go - s.f. Jello, s.f. popsicles, I also have a juicer and I like to juice an apple with some greens every day so I'll need to get some produce the day before my surgery.

I'm single so I don't have to worry about anyone but myself.

I'm not having anyone stay with me, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could stay at my sister's house - but honestly since I'll be on a liquid diet for 3 weeks after sugery all my stuff will be here at home so I doubt that's something I'll do.

Good luck to you on your surgery. :)

Great topic!

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I expect it to be end of September/early October. I have been preparing as best as I can with items I think I will need post-op (wedge pillow, Gas-X strips, Biotene mouthspray, etc.)

As for my husband and 4 year old son, I plan on spending the entire weekend before my surgery cooking for 2 full days to freeze a bunch of meals to get them by as I don't think I will want to cook for the better part of 2 weeks (maybe even more)

I have somewhat been packing a bag for the hospital (socks, chapstick, etc.) as I go along prepping for this journey.

I have not gotten any foods, shakes, etc for myself. I hear alot of people say that what you could stomach before surgery doesn't taste great after and so don't buy a large quantity; however, I did run across a great website (www.mybariatricpantry.com) that has samples for sale. I was thinking about securing some samples to have on hand and try what I like after surgery.

I do plan on having hubby stay home for about 3 days and the weekend and then my cousin is coming to town to help out for the next week, considering I have a little guy on my hands here.

Anything you are doing particularly? Let's share notes... :)

I don't have a surgery date yet, my consult with surgeon is 9/11. However I have made a list of things I want to stockpile based on the posts here.

I decided after my little poll on here to order the ninja and I just bought a super wide, super comfy, electric recliner.

my date is Sept 28. FINALLY!!! FIrst thing I am doing is enjoying all my fav foods. I talk to my food and say goodbye. My kids look at me funny but i don't care!!! I have enough Protein on hand to get thru pre-op and my six week full liquid/puree phase. I have a notebook for quick reference of different recipes I have found on here over time. I also have a goal spreadsheet with weeks listed and what i should weigh with a goal of 3lbs per week. I do not want to be a person who loses 30 lbs in 30 days and then freaks out when it stops for a few weeks. SO as long as I maintain that 3 lb per week weight loss I will be happy. I am using the Sally's knock off Nioxin (nutri-ox) to try to get my hair to grow in a little thicker before I lose it. I am seeing baby hairs!!! I am moisturizing my upper arms and belly where I am sure I will have the most saggy skin and also trying to skin brush more. I savor every sip of dr. pepper. I can eat healthy Soups as long as I can not eat them with a FORK so i will be pre making and freezing soups for all of us and blenderizing mine. Going to check Walmart tomorrow for a small travel/belly pillow and it least check out the belly binders. I am also going to fiddle around with making some kind of protein chai tea latte and "fruit infused water" as I HATE artificial sweeteners. Did i say was cooking our favorite cream and butter recipes before my pre-op diet? hahaha. I will be setting up my tripod with my camera so i can start taking pics everyday once I start pre op diet. I REALLY want to document my changes! I will be getting some excedrin for Migraines to help wean myself off my caffeine/soda addiction. Hoping my fruit infused Water turns out good! Ok. sorry for rambling. This is my brain on vsg. I have been researching this for over a year now and thought at the beginning of the year i was going to be sleeved in MArch. WRONG!! So now, I feel like I need to get back to the early on basics and start practicing what I was practicing back in February, upping water, not drinking while eating, etc. Ok. I am done now. Forgive me agin for rambling... it's late!!!!

What a wonderful post!

I don't have a surgery date but am hoping to be done by Thanksgiving (1st one I won't be gorging myself).

I actually saw a deal on Groupon for housecleaning and was tempted to buy it and redeem it on my surgery date so I come home to an immaculate home.

But, I'd have to clean before she came anyways so I think I nixed that idea.

My boys are old enough to help their dad cook and maybe he'll teach them to grill or something during my recovery time. Or maybe theyll teach him something (that I taught the boys)

I haven't really thought about stockpiling necessities yet. I like the idea of getting lots of samples. That should also keep boredom away.

I've asked my mom (who lives literally around the corner) to stay the night with my boys while my hubby takes me to surgery (2 hrs away). Also, she'll transport them to and from school.

I guess it seems still a bit unreal to me still. This thread has given me a bunch to think about.

Yickes! I feel so behind. My date is September 13th. and I haven't even bought extra Vitamins. I almost want to say that I was in disbelieve that I was going to have the surgery. But it's almost here and I can't seem where to start.

I know I have to clean house before the surgery.

I will go shopping for my stuff as well as for my 17yr old son and my husband.

I will .... ugh! don't know what else.

Does anyone know how long we don't drive?

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I will make a list and I will update if I come up with any other things I need to prepare.

I know that a when I had my hysterectomy I thought I was going to be able to do everything myself and oh boy was I wrong. That is why I kind of want to have a heads up on this surgery..

Thanks.

When I started this journey, I played with different Protein Drinks. I use the priemier Protein from costco Also GNC has some nice ones Lots of companies let you order a bunch of single serve to sample. I purchased a magic bullet and some shaker cups.

Every doctor is different. Most have a two week pre op diet. Some require lots of victims. Strangely mine has no pre op diet except a 24 hour clear liquid. I only had to get centrium chewables for afterwards.

Start "training" now. The hardest part for me was to recognize when I was full and to stop eating. Still struggling with that one.

Lately, I've been experimenting with making purees and eating yogurt. I hope my tastes do change because right now I hate yogurt and cottage cheese.

BTW, my surgery date is 8/20. MONDAY! So today is my last day to "eat". Think we might make a trip to Red Lobster.

Good luck to everyone. Keep reading these posts but remember to follow your doctors orders.

OMG. Vitamins not victims. But some of us might feel like victims. Lol.

I hope my tastes do change because right now I hate yogurt and cottage cheese.

I'm not a big yogurt fan either but I love fage raspberry and strawberry goji yogurt. It's so thick and yummy. Nothing like yoplait or regular yogurt. Xoxoxo Greek Yogurt!!!

How exciting that your surgery is on the 20th. good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

My husband had VSG/DS three years ago (I'm just coming to the end of my 6 month wait) and he recommend you keep a journal of your everyday life before surgery. He didn't and wish he did - things like tying shoes, walking up stairs, etc.

Good luck and I hope I'll be there in a month or two.

Good thread. I think I won't be sleeved until early oct. Not too much prep involved. i bought 2 bottles liquid Multivitamins (buy on get one half off) and two bottle Calcium gummies same bogo. Gas-x strips, also on sale.besides Water, water, and more water.... I think I am doing Isopure 3 bottles, I was told by my nut 1/2 bottle a day for 1 week. Crystal lite and popsicles. Week 2 one pure protien shake at 35 g and one Atkins @20g and that's it per day, after that, I plan to be out shopping myself. I have 4 little guys at home ages 5,7,10,and 13. My 10 year old has mental illness, so it will be a challenge since, my husband isn't the best at setting her limits. Only my DH, best friend, and college daughter knows this is happening. ( love my parents, but not the most supportive, my grown sons don't need to know, either)-so best friend offered to take time off to be with me, hubby will as well. I am a clean freak, so it will be tough seeing the kids making a mess and not be able to clean up (the way I clean). I will let hubby take care of getting them up and ready for school, dinners and laundry and such. He really is amazing that way. So what if their hair is natty or their clothes are on inside out??? Lol

I don't have a date yet, but my preparation so far has been in the habitual changes. Getting the baby eating utensils, eating off smaller plates, trying to make dinner last for the full 30 minutes, not drinking for a half hour before, during, and half hour after meals.

Husband went out and bought two huge bottles of multivitamins, but they are gummies. Is that okay? I read we should have children's chewables like Flintstones for the first few weeks.

I guess the other prep thing I've been doing is being here and on Spark.com, reading all I can, making lists of things I'll need, and learning as much as I can to be ready.

I don't have a date yet, but my preparation so far has been in the habitual changes. Getting the baby eating utensils, eating off smaller plates, trying to make dinner last for the full 30 minutes, not drinking for a half hour before, during, and half hour after meals.

Husband went out and bought two huge bottles of multivitamins, but they are gummies. Is that okay? I read we should have children's chewables like Flintstones for the first few weeks.

I guess the other prep thing I've been doing is being here and on Spark.com, reading all I can, making lists of things I'll need, and learning as much as I can to be ready.

I know I"m late by my NUT said the gummies still can have a chance of not being chewed to a small enough size and may get stuck...chewables only is my suggestion.