Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I have been distressed about my weight for years. Was denied by my insurance and then learned about Mexico. I have a date of 9/13 and I couldn't be happier.

I have been yoyo dieting for 15 years. Recently several things have come up and I was unable to do them because of my weight. i.e. for my friends birthday she went on a zip line tour and I was 60 lbs to heavy to do it.

I am also tired of taking my cpap machine everywhere I go overnight. I hope when I lose weight at some point I can sleep with out the cpap.

Edited by Jlutz1925

Three babies later and almost 100 lbs later.....

1. Health problems beginning to appear.

2. My kids miss out on activities with me because I am uncomfortable with myself or physically uncomfortable.

3. I hate that I avoid being in pictures. Photos are priceless, especially of yourself and your family.

4. I could not do all the activities that I used to love like run, hike, hunting, swimming.

5. I began avoiding people because I was embarrassed that I let myself go this far.

6. I never wanted to step foot in a swimsuit, even if it was Great Wolf Lodge or Silverwood.

7. I feel it holds me back with my photography business at times.

I'm anxious to find me again, be healthy, happy, confident and successful!!!

Edited by Jodi_S

*Being 345lbs at 27 and my ginocologist told me there is nothing wrong with u u just are too fat and if u continue this way u will die soon! I know direct but I needed it!

*Losing 120lbs gaining 60 a few months later losing 80 lbs again gaining 20 once more I was done dieting as extreme I was doing it for 5 years I wanted to enjoy life not just exercise and diet every single day and avoiding social life because it would get me out of my diet.

*feeling rejected even for people I love and know they love me

Now I'm 32 years old I got my sleeve done 3 months ago I have lost 50+lbs and feel great at 182lbs I still have a way to go but it was the best decision I could of make to give myself a second chance to live and this time in a healthier way!

Hi, I'm new here, just today. I have not had surgery yet but am exploring my options and feel the Sleeve is going to be my preference. It may be some months before I can have the surgery, however what has been the last straw among many other things is squeezing into an airline seat and the seatbelt just managing to do up, what the? Also that whenever I want to paint my toenails, I just cant get to them comfortably, I seem to have to become an extortionist to do it. Dieting is no longer an option, and although financially I have to work out how to do this, it is on my "must do" list asap!!! what a joke I am, embarrassed to visit friends I haven't seem for some time...... and knowing they will be thinking, my goodness Linda has put on alot of weight...... grrrr, enough is enough!!!

I spent the last ten years obsessing over my weight. This is my way of putting the weight aside, running my race and finishing strong. Can't spend the next decade as before. It's time to live my best life now.

My grandson (6) says Nana your so fat &won't play ball w/me anymore.

Recently married, and I didn't want to or tried not to take pictures on our honeymoon. My husband is fun loving and a kid a heart, so I surprised him with tickets to Universal Orlando when our cruise docked. It crushed me to know I couldnt go on any rides with him. "I'm playing the sidelines and warming the bench in my own life!" i thought. And that shoulnt be. I want to live, not just be present, but a tally LIVE! That did it for me. I'm tired of not living.

Recently married, and I didn't want to or tried not to take pictures on our honeymoon. My husband is fun loving and a kid a heart, so I surprised him with tickets to Universal Orlando when our cruise docked. It crushed me to know I couldnt go on any rides with him. "I'm playing the sidelines and warming the bench in my own life!" i thought. And that shoulnt be. I want to live, not just be present, but a tally LIVE! That did it for me. I'm tired of not living.

It would be the best gift you could give your husband, and yourself.

August 2013 the left side of my face became paralyzed while i was working, I could no longer blink or smile... The first thought was that I had a stroke. I rushed to the hospital and they said right away that I had Bells Palsy. By that time my face was completely paralyzed on one side of my face. It took about 6 months for me to fully recover... It really opened my eyes and made me aware of how much I had changed over the years. I felt like I didn't recognize myself anymore. I had gained so much weight that even though my face recovered I was depressed about it. This year I started off trying to lose weight again knowing I had to do something and everything has started falling into place with the sleeve surgery. I know it's time and I could not be any more confident in my decision. I want my life back :)

1.). Not being able to do anything outside during the summer without feeling like I'll die.

2.). Being too embarrassed to go to Water parks with my kids......and realizing I don't have many more years left before they grow up and it's too late.

3.) Realizing I couldn't buy clothes in regular stores anymore

4.) And the absolute worst: Not being able to fit in a regular roller coaster seat at Bush Gardens and waiting with my humiliated daughter for them to cut in a special "fat" car while hundreds of people waited.

I'm hoping to have surgery by the end of the year to be done with this once and for all!

Last 6 month weight loss trial visit scheduled next week and scope scheduled for Oct 3rd. Getting closer but it still seems so far away........

Roller coasters are the worst. I went on one at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I was taking my little sister on the coaster and I figured I would fit because it was just a lab bar. Well I was wrong, I got in and realized I could not get it to click no matter how much I pushed. An attendant then came over and was litterally jumping trying to get it down. I told him I would just get off but he woudln't let me. Another attendant came over and they both went at trying to slam the bar down. After what seemed like forever they finally got it to click. It was absolutly humilating having to go through that while the line of 100 people stare and point and laugh at you. It was sooo painful as well, they had pinched my thighs with the lab bar and every twist and turn on the coaster, I litterally had bruises afterwards. Needless to say that was the last roller coaster I ever went on.

Searching for a job. Although I realize that I won't get every job I interview for, I know for a fact that I was best qualified for three jobs I applied for and did not get. The people that were hired did not have the skills or background that I do. After a certain point, you realize that it MUST be weight related.

Searching for a job. Although I realize that I won't get every job I interview for, I know for a fact that I was best qualified for three jobs I applied for and did not get. The people that were hired did not have the skills or background that I do. After a certain point, you realize that it MUST be weight related.

That is so damn true! I've been the victim of that more than once in my life. If you look at boards on news sights when the issue of obesity comes up, the comments are often brutal, but you get the idea that there are a lot of people in the business world who think we are lazy and stupid because we can't control our weight. It makes our decision a little bittersweet because no matter if we're 100 lbs overweight or absolutely normal, we are still the same person.

Mine was when my uncle told me to move to the other side because I didn't fit in the picture on Christmas and everyone started saying oooooo because they all thought it was because of my weight right away