Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Counsel, Courage And Encouragement

Hi again,

I need some support- I am about halfway through pre-op (did endoscopy, cardiology, pulmonologist, endocrinology, psych and nutrition)- have to go for another endoscopy. And I am feeling very unsettled and unsure. I don't know if it's sticker shock because I'm a self-pay, anxiety because I'm scared, or excitement because I feel like help could finally be on the way. Does anyone else feel like this could be the craziest and most sane thing that you've ever done?

I also don't want to have unrealistic expectations - but I gotta say, the struggling stories have officially scared the pants off me. Is the pain really *that bad*????? And how long should Ilan on being out of commission?

I feel like I'm going a little nuts - is that typical?

Thanks for any insight and advice

Those feelings are very normal. I got all my tests done and at last minute decided not to do it. I have heard great motivating stories and bad ones. You have to feel it in your heart that it is the best decision for you and if not, i would put it off until you are sure.

I keep going through "sticker shock" as well. I think about all the things I can do with the $$ for my daughter. It is very hard for me to do something for myself - and when I mention my weight to friends they say "you are not that overweight" This is true compared to most people we know have WLS. I dress in a way that disguises my weight well but I am a complete apple and am pre-diabetic.

I guess I don't have much to offer except I can relate to what you are feeling.

Those feelings are very normal. I got all my tests done and at last minute decided not to do it. I have heard great motivating stories and bad ones. You have to feel it in your heart that it is the best decision for you and if not' date=' i would put it off until you are sure.[/quote']

I can relate ... As I was approved and here I am two yrs later wishing I would have had the surgery then a I am now beginning the process over again. I agree dont do it if you are not sure ... But ... You may also find yourself in my predicament.

You're not alone in feeling that way. I have gone through questioning every little thing, being almost TOO addicted to these boards. However, I recently posted a question that received three pages worth of responses. I simply asked, did anyone have a normal recovery? The responses were overwhelming. Several people smartly pointed out that not many post saying, "having a normal boring day feeling like myself!" when of course the bad stories stay in your brain.

No one can answer for you whether it's right or not, but if you want additional perspective to balance out what really are the less common complication stories, I'd check out this thread: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/47767-anyone-have-a-relatively-easy-recovery-story/

Surgery is the 2nd craziest thing I ever did .... the first craziest was letting myself get so overweight. I was at a point where my weight was interfering with everyday activities and I was SICK of it. And I knew if I did not do something I would have been sick with diabetes, sleep apnea, and other illnesses that I was on the brink of. The craziness of surgery for me outweighed the craziness I was living in and I could not convince myself to just try another diet and exercise program. Do what is right for you but I am 2 weeks post op and can not believe it has been as easy for me as it has been and went in prepared for the worst.

It is completely normal to be nervous and even to have second thoughts. Personally, I was going to do this two years ago and then changed my mind. I finally had the surgery a little over two months ago. I was so scared. But now my only regret is that I did not do it two years ago. I cannot even begin to describe the wonderful feeling of finally being free of the constant spector of food, how great it feels to be gaining control of my health and getting back into shape. As for the bad stories you read, you need to remember that often times people post because they are looking for help or support for a problem they are having. The ones who breeze through surgery and recovery don't always put that on the message board, unless asked. Here is a link to a recent thread of the all the good recovery stories. I hope it helps to balance things out for you a bit as you weigh your options.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/47767-anyone-have-a-relatively-easy-recovery-story/

Oops, Birdy18 and I must have been posting at the same time. I did not mean to be redundant in the link to the good stories. Just goes to show you that it is a good thread though, since we both thought of it!

Birdy, thanks so much for the link- definitely helped to hear some good stories ( like shrinkydinkforme's :)) I think i'm Judy a little overwhelmed and afraid to get mt hopes up too much. But-feel much better now. Thanks to all for your thoughts .

I am one of those who had a horrible time with the surgery--lots of pain and complications--you don't want to hear it. :( I am on day 16 now, and I am on the upswing. I guess my advice would be if you could just wake up tomorrow and be sleeved--without having to go through it--would you want that? If so, go for it. Even though I have had a rough time I can say that my appetite is gone--I definitely feel restriction, and I am excited about what the future holds. I was miserable for 2 weeks--but then again, it was just 2 weeks.......

Great attitude, 2 weeks is a very fair price to gain back the rest of your life.

Oops, Birdy18 and I must have been posting at the same time. I did not mean to be redundant in the link to the good stories. Just goes to show you that it is a good thread though, since we both thought of it!

Tracey - Ha! Great minds think alike. Of course it was stories like yours that made me feel more sane, so it makes sense that you're responding to this thread too! I love how supportive this community is. I'm all full of warm fuzzies.

Annie - No problem! I have been (recently) where you've been and the perspective really helped for me too. Good luck!

I feel you lmao dropping that much money for each test and everything has me in sticker shock as well lol. I keep thinking its got to be done doing it for my kids. But ugg 20+k yeah it's a lot but it will be ok. I just think of all the things I will be able to do with my kids after I can't do now priceless ;)

I wish I didn't have to do this but I wish I didn't eat myself to this point also for some reason since ive finally made the decision to do it dieting has been easier almost compulsive I know I might not feel well for a few day but I not felt well for a few days before and survived the main reason I'm doing this is Pre diabetes to me that is rhe worst disease ever effects every part of your body I just want a healthier me and also to buy cute clothes lol