Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Advice On How To Quit Smoking?

Crap. Ive not met my surgeon yet. Got my approval Friday and will get my appt with surgeon first of the week as well as surgery date. No point during my 6 months was there any discussion of smoking.

I quit 3 months ago. I purchased an electronic cigarette. I bought 2 flavors of liquid that were both nicatine free. Puffing on the ecig released my anxiety that first 3-4 weeks. I havent had to use it the last few months at all. I got the ok of my Dr to use it since there was no nicatine. I was put in welbutrin but i hated it and only took it a few days. I would as your Doc for an rx though, it may help you. :)

Is there anymore tests done prior to surgery? Xray?

I thought i was done with all the freaking tests. I guess i will find out tomorrow

Is there anymore tests done prior to surgery? Xray?

Does your physician not have a program with information for you? I had a ton of pre op testing. So many labs that I've forgotten except they took 17 vials of blood to do them (yes I counted), chest xray, abdominal u/s, ekg, ECHO and a psych eval. The amount of testing really depends on your medical condition. I am lucky in that I only have PCOS and mild sleep apnea so they did not require anything more than what I listed.

I already did all those tests on my 5th visit. On my 6th visit i did the h-pylori which was negative. I will call in the morning as i dont want any surprises. Thanks

omgosh I am overwhelmed and very thankful for all the advice I have received. It was the initial paperwork from the surgeon that said I have to be smoke free for 2 months before the surgery. Reading about everyones experiences has definitely tamed my freak out. It was just the initial shock that was hard to deal with. I have been given alot of suggestions and will probably ask for the chantix script. thank you all so much. i am loving the support!

I know for life insurance companies they don't consider you smoke free until one year and they test via a swab. How does it differ here? Is it blood work or other? I have to quit as well and don't want to have to wait two more months.

I quit smoking about 2 1/2 yrs ago using Chantix. it gave me CRAZY vivid dreams but I was fine and then one day about 3 weeks into it I woke up and thought "eh I don't really feel like smoking anymore". Seriously. It was crazy!! Also right about that time it started making me horribly depressed so right away I weaned off it.. but I credit Chantix for my quitting!!

I also used quitnet.com, LOVE it. I still check in on that site and look forward to the emails they send out!

As far as why they want you to quit.. a bunch of reasons but a couple of the big ones are smokers typically have much higher risk of blood clots and poor healing due to decreased circulation. Anyway I'm not a doctor and this is SO not medical advice but just my opinion.. quit before surgery ;) You can dramatically decrease your chances of complications.

I am going to be tested on Wednesday to confirm no nicotine is in my system. I think they do the test via bloodwork.

Everyone wants to know ----

HOW DO I QUIT SMOKING?

Let me tell you what the prescription drug lobbiests dont want you to know about. Theres a product out there that you can legally buy but you can not ingest due to FDA regulations. So what happens behind closed doors is your business. I dont want to know about it. Capish ;)

I am going to provide you a link to a source that I KNOW carries legit products. I turned 6 people on to this site and I swear to you that they all quit smoking within a week. Not cause they tried to but because this medicine makes them. It comes in a pump spray bottle. You must spray 2 sprays in your mouth first thing in the morning. They all said it was nasty and chased it with Water. If you read the description it says its a CB1 Receptor BLOCKER. What receptor in the brain does nicotine attach itself to? Haha it the CB1 receptor. Also if your familiar with a 9 panel drug screen, every single one of those adhere to the CB1 receptor also. Kinda neat. You can Wiki all of the info. They do have a few bad sides but none of the people I know had any of the side effects.

http://www.stenlabs.com/index.php?p=product&id=117

I am in no way paid or affiliated with this company nor any other but I feel that the truth should be out. There are products available that work better than any others on the market due to the lobbiests paying the FDA to keep not approving the medicines. Its sad but thats how America works.

Interesting huh

I'm a smoker.. my doctor asked only two weeks, not two months.. but in honesty I never did quit, but said I did and they didn't check. I planned to quit post op, but ofcourse I tricked myself into thinking smoking would help with the gas pains.. anyway.. I've only been able to quit three times in life. My first n second pregnancy and once when I took a smoking cessation aide which was wellbutrin. Wellbutrin really works honestly, but the pills r too big to take post op.. but for your pre op purposes, I say ask your pcp for a prescription.

Try chantex I used it did not have any of the side effects

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I quit after hypnosis. Nice part about hypnosis, is when you find one that works, no cravings. 1 1/2 weeks since last smoke and honestly I just don't think about wanting one. Took a few try's to find one that worked. But now I can be around smokers and have no desire to smoke. The first three days were rough because of the nicotine. But I didn't want to risk becoming addicted to the replacement therapy, and I did not want to take the rx to quit and still have to fight mental cravings. Basically I became a non smoker in an hour.

I quit 2 1/2 years ago. Used Chantix for 3 months and used an electronic cigarette with a zero nicotine cartridge for about 1 month after that. The key is to have your mind into it. Don't rely on lollipops...that is too much sugar. Anytime I got the urge, I would stop and do about 10-15 situps. Good exercise and the urge usually passes by the time you are through. Also, brushing your teeth or drinking a full glass of Water when an urge strikes is helpful.

The Chantix gave me VERY vivid dreams...but most were actually quite nice ;) lol

Good luck. It's not easy, but it'll be one of the best things you'll ever do for yourself :)