Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Am I Still So Hungry?

I got sleeved on Aug 2nd, I have been hungry every since. I eat the 1/2 cup of food like I'm suppost to and then Im not hungry but not full eighter. A hour latter my tummy is growling again. I have had a list of things to eat and drink today. 800 calories, and 85 grams of Protein and I'm laying here in bed can't go to sleep thinking about what I can get up and eat because my belly is growling. Is this normal? Any advice is great.

Maybe it's heartburn? I read about that all the time.

I think the consensus is that if you are having problems with acid it makes you very hungry. Are you taking an acid blocker - and is it working? In addition, I was very hungry for about six weeks after surgery even with the acid controlled. And then - it got better. It was not head hunger. Some people are just hungry at first. Good luck!

Oh, and I found that I could extend the time between being so hungry by drinking extra Water. Also, some people mistake thirst for hunger, so get plenty of fluids in general.

My stomach hasn't growled yet and i was sleeved 7/26/12 but I feel my hunger in the head and my mood changes

I have that problem too. I asked my doctor about it and he said he found it highly unlikley. I also still am on prenisone so I think that maybe why I fell that.

I also thought about head hunger but I'm pretty sure head hunger won't make my tummy growl. I just ate a 1/2 cup of egg drop Soup and I'm content now. I think I need some real food. Can't wait till I can have puree.

I'm jealous that you can eat a whole 1/2 cup of food at one time! :)

I'm putting my Beans in the slow cooker tomorrow while at church can't wait to see how I take to it going to add a little ground beef or turkey sausage

One thing to think about also is your new sleeve is going to make some odd noises. It may actually growl and it doesnt mean you are actually hungry. Not saying you are not, but I noticed this also and thought at first I was hungry but honestly I dont believe I am.

Also remember that although the gland that produces ghrelin (hunger hormone) was removed which is an upside to the sleeve, there is still some in your system that was already there before surgery. Maybe this is why some people feel hungry at first but as the weeks pass....they never feel hungry.

I was sleeved the day after you and I could start full liquids today.....took 3 small bites of SF pudding and I was stuffed...also a little sick for a while. About 5 hours later, made some cream of chicken Soup and all I did was literally dip my spoon in the cup and eat what was there....not actually "scoop" it like a real spoon full (talking baby spoons here) and it took me 15 min to eat maybe 1/4 cup.

Everyone is different....

My stomach growled a lot for a couple of weeks after surgery, but it stopped thereafter. I didn't equate it to hunger, but to healing and gas. I also have concerns that I have not had any problems getting food or liquids down in 1/2 cup portions (even Soups at the end of week one!). I did notice that I started to feel full quicker once I began eating pureed foods and things like cottage cheese. I'm also dealing with head hunger...I try to ask myself if I'm truly hungry before I grab for something. I've noticed that since I've returned to work, I am falling into old patterns: I used to eat at my desk while working and always had a snack around. Now that I'm back, I'm eating sleeve friendly foods, but more frequently, which is raising my calorie intake up to 800...I'm supposed to be at 600 still. I'll be working on breaking that habit now that I've identified it. Like Misty said, everyone is different. Hopefully your hunger will subside.

I hope so. I really could eat a whole cup of food no problem and not feel sick, I limit myself to 1/2 cup because that's what my dr said I should eatting. The dr that did my surgery is new to the sleeve surgery but said it was a small sleeve but I'm starting to wounder how much he took out. I feel like he didn't remove much. I'm thinking I just need to eat more filling foods.

I know you started this in 2012, but I am going through the same thing. What ended up happening? Did the hunger go away once you started eating real food again?

I hope so. I really could eat a whole cup of food no problem and not feel sick, I limit myself to 1/2 cup because that's what my dr said I should eatting. The dr that did my surgery is new to the sleeve surgery but said it was a small sleeve but I'm starting to wounder how much he took out. I feel like he didn't remove much. I'm thinking I just need to eat more filling foods.

I'm 5 weeks out--and I'm hungry every two/three hours. I was hoping not to feel this way anymore. It's hunger with hunger pains and all!

I'm 3.5 months out and am always hungry. I have an appetite especially after I take my Vitamins . .